Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't know water was an aspect...
Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
Whole house water softener is the answer. You guys will bathe, cook etc with hard water in the house but it's not good enough for a car ???
Salt-based water softeners are specifically banned in my county and several others in Cali. I installed one in my Indiana house and would have here as well but HD and Lowe's will not even sell them here. I've heard that non-salt-based softeners do not eliminate spotting.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson
Natural spring water bought in 1 gallon jugs. Placed in the sun, charcoal filters clean the evaporating water where the vapors are then hermetically sealed in a UV protective container.

This joke was not lost on me.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
We have horrible hard water laden with minerals here in SoCal so I use a deionizing filtering system and heated air from a Master Blaster. I can actually let the car air-dry with a nearly perfect finish due to the deionized water.

I've been looking into this system. Glad to hear it works well. I need to repolish my car because I let some hard water dry on it in a few spots when I was trying to wash it a little too early in the afternoon.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 PM
MotorRoger
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a water filter attached to the water hose. It's made for filtering water for rv's.

Last edited by MotorRoger; 05-19-2017 at 07:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
captaineddie (05-21-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Salt-based water softeners are specifically banned in my county and several others in Cali. I installed one in my Indiana house and would have here as well but HD and Lowe's will not even sell them here. I've heard that non-salt-based softeners do not eliminate spotting.
What on earth are they thinking? Salt based softeners do the job and they are the only things that do. We live in a "karst management" area, where the incoming water from the well is around 30 gpg, and our automatic softener really sorts things out - just need to keep it supplied with salt.

If I had the misfortune to live where you do, I would just mail order a proper softener and be done. Or take the truck and do a road trip.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Chadwicks!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Cars & Horses
Chadwicks!!!!
Is Chadwicks water better than Avion water?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:50 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
We have well water, and it is terrible with hard water spots, I wash my car in the shade to avoid even worse spotting, what do you guys use? What's better town water with chlorine, or my awful well water, I rather wash my car at home, but it comes down to water quality. Thanks
I use the wet kind

Seriously...I used to use a water softener filter and then a separate mineral filter and it didn't really do anything for spots except cost me a lot of money and give weak water pressure.

The best thing you can do is wash towards the end of the day so the sun doesn't dry the car before you can get all the water off or wash in the shade.

IMO.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by murray anderson
natural spring water bought in 1 gallon jugs. Placed in the sun, charcoal filters clean the evaporating water where the vapors are then hermetically sealed in a uv protective container.
roflol!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Distilled water doesn't spot.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 AM
ninety6
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Rain water. We have a rain water cistern and use that (after filtering) from our hose. Also dry the car with a California water blade after-- but without hard water, i don't have to be as careful to make sure that all the drops are off. we don't really see water spots any more.

A Mr. Clean car washing thingy has a built in filter that use use for final rinse that gets most of the junk out of the water, i used to use that before i moved to my current home. Basically -- it has a switch on it -- soapy water, plain water, or filtered water. so you soap the car, wash it, rinse it with plain water, then flip to filtered water for final rinse. top to bottom like you are painting it. works pretty well....

Last edited by ninety6; 05-20-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

I typically use Chadwicks, but for heavier dirt and/or bugs, I'll use the local self serve car wash... using the spot free rinse.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
Driven mine every day for the past 17 years and only "washed" it twice in the past two years. If you use something like Chadwick's you won't have to "wash" the car very often. I wipe mine down daily because it is black and the air is filthy around here.

When I do have to wash the car (i.e. get drenched in mud or something), I use hard tap water and then put a couple gallons of distilled water in a hand-pump pressure sprayer (like insecticide sprayer) and use that as a final rinse followed by blow-drying with Master Blaster...

You're the only one I know of who keeps their Vette in the house. Lol!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
We have well water, and it is terrible with hard water spots, I wash my car in the shade to avoid even worse spotting, what do you guys use? What's better town water with chlorine, or my awful well water, I rather wash my car at home, but it comes down to water quality. Thanks
Do yourself a favor and buy a master blaster that blows warm air. After I wash all my vehicles I don't hand dry them with any rags. I use the air dryer to dry it off. Leaves no water spots. Then I use the Chadwick's triple play. Comes out awesome.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by GTs 58
I have two black cars and live in sunny Arizona with crappy water so I just wait for the rain and then I hit the driveway washing the car while wearing my topless bikini.

Seriously, I use the hard tap water and keep the car completely wet while washing. A complete hose down when finished washing and then a real quick wipe removing most of the water before it turns to mineral crust.
I use the same method, not the topless bikini thing, nobody wants to see that!! Anyway, also have a black C5, keep it wet until time to give it a wipe, solves my hard water spot problem. Best wishes!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I must be lucky because I just use the water from my spigot with a shot or two of Mcguires car wash and a Griots microfober wash sponge on the paint and a regular sponge on my polished/uncoated rims, rinse off then blow dry the rims first, then the paint with my Sears 200mph leaf blower and I don't even need to touch the rims because they blow dry completely without spots and they are not clear coated. After I blow dry the body I use an Absorber to go over the windows and body but 90% of the water is gone without any spots and 2 of my cars are Black.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of water do you guys use to wash your car

Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Noavgcobra
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Alien waterless car wash. no silicone no residue no drip lines NO WATER!!!!the stuff is pretty amazing. trim, windows, paint, plastic, rims, use it on the whole car
Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

I only use high purity heavy water, alto known as deuterium. Sure, it costs nearly $1000 for 1kg of it, but only the best for my Vette. I find the higher molecular mass really helps the water bead off better. lol

In all seriousness, on black cars I've owned previously, I washed them with normal tap water and made sure to keep them wet. Then I'd rinse with a bucket of RO/DI water that I keep on hand for my salt water reef aquarium. 0ppm water doesn't spot!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

"What kind of water do you guys use to wash your car"
The wet kind...........

Quick Reply: What kind of water do you guys use to wash your car