Sponsored by:

C5 vs. C6 Corvette Comparison Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingjoey
C5 hands down a monster on the road and easy to keep ... I wouldn't trade it for C6 .. .. hehe
You've got ***** parking that car on NYC streets.

That or you're a glutton for punishment lol
Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Can anybody name the C6 known reliability/durability/quality issues? For instance, with C5, I'd say headlight gears, leaky differential, harmonic balancers, EBCM, etc. So what are the issues with C6s? Only ones I'm aware of are the electronic doors failing and headlights sometimes develop cracks. What are the other major PITA issues they have?

Just curious.
The following users liked this post:
JohnRogers (08-01-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Then again this is the C5 section so there will be a bias.
If you post the video in the C6 section I'm sure the opinions will be different.
That said, no surprise that I prefer the C5.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

C6 Name:  reduced-sports-cars2.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  24.8 KB
Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

When I was looking to return to Corvettes I looked at C5's, C6's, and C7's. After due consideration I just plain couldn't get past the incredible smooth aero type styling of the C5. Looked at C6's, not really for me, a real step down from the C5 in the looks department in my humble opinion. C7's are way to starwarsy for me. I admire the performance figures of the C7's but just don't care for the looks. I like the C5 interior, sure its a bit plastiky but I find it a comfortable cruiser, even on long trips. Performance wise, the C5 has all that I need for the type of driving I do. At just shy of 400 hp at the flywheel my 6m C5 gives me all the performance I need or want. My final consideration comes down to bang for the buck, awfully hard to beat a nice C5 in that area. Take care!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

Received 1,254 Likes on 548 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I definitely prefer the C5 but listening to you on the video, the C6 is what you prefer. The only thing I like on the C6 over the C5 would be the extra HP.
Interesting you came up with that conclusion. I hate the C6 steering wheel and the maintenance/vulnerability of the headlights, but love the rear end and 430hp. For the C5, I do not hate anything, and I like the front end and interior quite a bit. Overall, I call it a tie.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by tbrowne
Beauty is skin deep. C6 performance and handling cannot be matched by the C5. I have a C5 and probably will keep it for a good many years because I like the car. But comparing the two based on looks alone is a superficial affair.
You gotta like the way your ride looks - its a pride thing!
Performance (acceleration), no especially LS3 vs LS1.
Handling - I do not think the skid pad and slalom numbers are much different (if I recall correctly).
Braking, both are crazy good.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:49 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I had a C5 for 16 years....better looking than the C6 (except for the C5s rump), to me the C6 was just a C5.5.....recently jumped a generation into a C7.....that is a significant evolutionary leap...

Last edited by ersatz928; 06-02-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Scylla
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4Life C5
You gotta like the way your ride looks - its a pride thing!
Performance (acceleration), no especially LS3 vs LS1.
Handling - I do not think the skid pad and slalom numbers are much different (if I recall correctly).
Braking, both are crazy good.
The big C5 vs. C6 debate continues because a 2004 Coupe and 2005 Coupe have the same 0-60 times, but the C5 has a higher top speed. When people compare the two, favoring the C6, they use 98 coupe performance numbers, but the 2001+ models do better. If you have a 2001-2004 Coupe, then you have some performance advantages over a 2005-2007 Coupe, and it gets more pronounced if you build the cars. The LS3 in 2008 finally changed this, but the base model C6 never recovered from it's bad rap in the performance community. However, the C6 Z06 was a fantastic upgrade and vastly superior to any previous vette!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Since my 1999 c5 , I've owned a c5 z06 and then with the advent of the ls3 I bought a new c6 z51...

The front end of the c5 from a styling perspective is clearly the winner. I've always hated the headlights on the c6. I've also always hated all the black trim pieces on the c6 which is why I chose a new c6 in black.

Minimized the ugly headlight bulb and bucket design and the black exterior color minimized the various black accents like the door pull mechanism trim etc..

The shorter overhangs of the c6 were what made the c6 more contemporary looking.

The long overhangs both front but especially in the rear end styling are reallly what dates the c5 design.

Still by going to larger diameter wheels the c5 still remains extremely contemporary.

Performance wise? The c6 is clearly the better drivers car. I will say my 500 hp cam headers gears c5 z06 was the more engaging and more race car like driving experience but those mods ruined the car in my opinion.

Just couldn't hold up to daily driving tasks..for the weekend Driver while I had another daily driver the modded c5 z06 was awesome but when out into daily driver duty...the modded c5 z06 fell apart at 12k miles per year and I sold it off to ecs and purchased a new c6 z51.

110k miles later? The c6 z51 manual has been utterly reliable and the best sports car from a reliability standpoint ..I can't bring myself to sell it.

This thing just keeps amazing me with its balance of performance and reliability and low running costs to maintain.

I have since ourchased the tinted plastic to overlay the one design flaw that annoys me with the c6 ...but fear of cracking because of the headlight tint keeps that tint package for the headlights on the shelf.

My headlights never fogged up so I just haven't moved forward on installing the tint.

There was a guy who owned an identical black c6 in town and he had his headlights covered in black and it makes the car look bad ***...

But as you mentioned at a grand each for aheadliht.....I'd want to kill myself if I installed the the tint package I have only to crack the headlights so I am still holding off installing...

Interesting review video and thanks for sharing...

Fwiw I still love the design of the c5. If I hadn't modded the c5 z06 and it caused me so many headaches...I would still have it. I loved that car.

Best of luck with yours.

If I were giving advice and your not a sun whorshiper like me..I'd suggest if you ever do buy a c6...

Go for the c6 z06...it's an awesome value and I believe it's near the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I also don't believe all the fear mongering against the ls7 engine.

A lot of "tuners" made a lot of money off of people's internet fears...

If I owned a c6 z06 I'd refresh the heads st 130k miles and call it a day.

Id still want to cover those dam headlight bulbs...with tint as they really date the car..

It's the bulbs and the trim around them that I hate...and what's with that orange light stuck in there too..

Just horrible...and I own the car...

Ps Ferrari had something similiar to the corvette c6 headlights in the 360 but it was less offensive and gaudy...that's why I think it's the size and trim around each bulb..

Now that I've said this out loud on the forum I think I'm over the top with hating on the c6 headlights...but since you brought it up on video I thought I'd join you on your introspective of corvette design.

A sign of an engaging and well done video.

Keep up the good work

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-02-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Btw the c7 is cool looking as hell but from inside the car it feels pretty bulky with the longer front sight lines due to the higher rear edge of the hood.

I look forward to the return of lower front sight lines closer to what Porsche offers in its Boxster/911 models.

Teslas move in the new model three to remove the instrument panel completely is hopeful a new trend that expands throughout the industry...

Autocrossing a c6 is easier than in the c7 from a front sight line perspective although you do get used to placing the front wheels and getting accustomed to the long front sight line...

The headlights design on the c7 are awesome...as is the radiusing front end from a leading edge ...noticed more from an Ariel view if your curious)

Contemporary designs these days have left the straight edge design of the most forward part of the front nose...making for a more sleek forward moving edge not unlike a bullitt

Ok..now I have to stop design analysis as it's getting crazy

See what listening and watching your video started...

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-02-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Since my 1999 c5 , I've owned a c5 z06 and then with the advent of the ls3 I bought a new c6 z51...

The front end of the c5 from a styling perspective is clearly the winner. I've always hated the headlights on the c6. I've also always hated all the black trim pieces on the c6 which is why I chose a new c6 in black.

Minimized the ugly headlight bulb and bucket design and the black exterior color minimized the various black accents like the door pull mechanism trim etc..

The shorter overhangs of the c6 were what made the c6 more contemporary looking.

The long overhangs both front but especially in the rear end styling are reallly what dates the c5 design.

Still by going to larger diameter wheels the c5 still remains extremely contemporary.

Performance wise? The c6 is clearly the better drivers car. I will say my 500 hp cam headers gears c5 z06 was the more engaging and more race car like driving experience but those mods ruined the car in my opinion.

Just couldn't hold up to daily driving tasks..for the weekend Driver while I had another daily driver the modded c5 z06 was awesome but when out into daily driver duty...the modded c5 z06 fell apart at 12k miles per year and I sold it off to ecs and purchased a new c6 z51.

110k miles later? The c6 z51 manual has been utterly reliable and the best sports car from a reliability standpoint ..I can't bring myself to sell it.

This thing just keeps amazing me with its balance of performance and reliability and low running costs to maintain.

I have since ourchased the tinted plastic to overlay the one design flaw that annoys me with the c6 ...but fear of cracking because of the headlight tint keeps that tint package for the headlights on the shelf.

My headlights never fogged up so I just haven't moved forward on installing the tint.

There was a guy who owned an identical black c6 in town and he had his headlights covered in black and it makes the car look bad ***...

But as you mentioned at a grand each for aheadliht.....I'd want to kill myself if I installed the the tint package I have only to crack the headlights so I am still holding off installing...

Interesting review video and thanks for sharing...

Fwiw I still love the design of the c5. If I hadn't modded the c5 z06 and it caused me so many headaches...I would still have it. I loved that car.

Best of luck with yours.

If I were giving advice and your not a sun whorshiper like me..I'd suggest if you ever do buy a c6...

Go for the c6 z06...it's an awesome value and I believe it's near the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I also don't believe all the fear mongering against the ls7 engine.

A lot of "tuners" made a lot of money off of people's internet fears...

If I owned a c6 z06 I'd refresh the heads st 130k miles and call it a day.

Id still want to cover those dam headlight bulbs...with tint as they really date the car..

It's the bulbs and the trim around them that I hate...and what's with that orange light stuck in there too..

Just horrible...and I own the car...

Ps Ferrari had something similiar to the corvette c6 headlights in the 360 but it was less offensive and gaudy...that's why I think it's the size and trim around each bulb..

Now that I've said this out loud on the forum I think I'm over the top with hating on the c6 headlights...but since you brought it up on video I thought I'd join you on your introspective of corvette design.

A sign of an engaging and well done video.

Keep up the good work

Thanks for the feedback and good additional information!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
The only thing worse than the C6 head lights is the clear mod ones that some put on their C5.
They are really disgusting.

Bob.

You ain't lyin !
Old 06-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Got to use the z06 c5
Old 06-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I definitely prefer the C5 but listening to you on the video, the C6 is what you prefer. The only thing I like on the C6 over the C5 would be the extra HP.
I called it a tie
Old 06-08-2017, 01:31 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Ultimately I chose a C5Z because it has a slight performance advantage, looks more "special", and has a timeless design that will always look good (unlike the C4).
​​​​​​
I don't know about that. Mike's C4 looks pretty damn good to me.

The following users liked this post:
1Willy1 (08-25-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:11 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd

Very sharp looking car.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 vs. C6 Corvette Comparison Video

Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

The c4 was awesome for it's time although getting in and out with the high side sills was a bitch and made it impossible as a daily driver. Imo
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Toys4Life C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by Not4spd

That is a great looking C4 but you can sure see how the rear overhang has gotten less with the C5 and ever less with the C6.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM
BobbyC5
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good video, I agree with you on everything except the interior. The C6 has the advantage there in my opinion. I chose a C5 too, I liked it a lot better, and I still do, seven years later.

Quick Reply: C5 vs. C6 Corvette Comparison Video