Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditching Cats Suggestions

Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Ditching Cats Suggestions

I'm wanting a little more sound out of my Magnaflow axle back and since we don't have emissions here all of my previous sports cars I always had the cats removed. On some of them, I could buy offroad pipes to get rid of them as basically a bolt-on solution. But looking for something similar for the C5, it doesn't appear they are available.

So without going to headers, what do most people do to ditch them? Just cut off and went a piece of replacement pipe? Is there any aftermarket bolt on solution I'm missing maybe?

Thanks for any info!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:24 AM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

You would have to tune the O2 sensors out or go with sims. You can cut and weld in a pipe as you said. You also can go the chicago route leave them in and just take a pipe and smash out the center of the cats lol.

I would just go with headers if you are removing your cats completely.

Last edited by bravo29; 06-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 AM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow I guess you can tell where my head is at...
I thought you were looking for suggestions on how to get rid of cats (the animal kind) on your car
Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bravo29
. You also can go the chicago route leave them in and just take a pipe and smash out the center of the cats .
You will have to cut the pipes to do this method due to how the exhaust is bent. If you're going that far, cut the cats out and install straight pipe or buy an X pipe and straight pipe to replace the h-pipe currently there.

Then take the scrap yard and recover some of the money you spent.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

You would have to tune the O2 sensors out or go with sims. You can cut and weld in a pipe as you said. You also can go the chicago route leave them in and just take a pipe and smash out the center of the cats lol.

I have the O2's deleted already, so good for that. I considered poking them out, but figured a replacement pipe would be better, whether aftermarket or my own (or I know someone at a muffler shop that will). I wouldn't mind headers, but my Superlite SLC is due in within the next week or 2 so all my time and money will go to that when it arrives. Anything else I could do for more volume?

Originally Posted by sloopdawg
Wow I guess you can tell where my head is at...
I thought you were looking for suggestions on how to get rid of cats (the animal kind) on your car
Hahaha!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I have the O2's deleted already, so good for that. I considered poking them out, but figured a replacement pipe would be better, whether aftermarket or my own (or I know someone at a muffler shop that will). I wouldn't mind headers, but my Superlite SLC is due in within the next week or 2...
Ah yes, the good old Superlite SLC (?).
Anyway, you could do a bypass on your Magnaflow mufflers similar to what many do to the factory systems if willing to cut them. Or yes, remove the cats at an exhaust shop if they're allowed or willing to.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The bypass should make it louder or a competent muffler shop should be able to patch in a straight pipe in place of the cars. Your choice.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by grantv
Ah yes, the good old Superlite SLC (?).
Anyway, you could do a bypass on your Magnaflow mufflers similar to what many do to the factory systems if willing to cut them. Or yes, remove the cats at an exhaust shop if they're allowed or willing to.
I didn't consider the by-pass on my Magnaflow. That may be the route I take, would be easier and no bad smell. Not sure if they're technically allowed to, but good to have friends that work there.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The bypass should make it louder or a competent muffler shop should be able to patch in a straight pipe in place of the cars. Your choice.
I think the by-pass is best choice, as long as a muffler shop can weld SS because I can't.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 546 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I didn't consider the by-pass on my Magnaflow. That may be the route I take, would be easier and no bad smell. Not sure if they're technically allowed to, but good to have friends that work there.

I think the by-pass is best choice, as long as a muffler shop can weld SS because I can't.
You can weld stainless steel with a regular MIG - just in case you did not know. Maybe not for a high fatigue area, but exhaust tubing is fine and holds up for years and years.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:44 PM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

haha
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought the Chicago route was to shot them off the car with a 9 mm
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:16 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

If you have some rowdy cats, here's your solution:

Tulsaeasyrider (06-26-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Car would stink. Everyone around in traffic would hate the car, and the driver.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Why don't you consider electric cutouts? Then when the mood strikes you, you can quiet the car down.
The following 2 users liked this post by striper:
ArmchairArchitect (06-26-2017), InfiniteReality (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by striper
Why don't you consider electric cutouts? Then when the mood strikes you, you can quiet the car down.
Ive thought about them on this car since I've put them on every other car, just don't want to invest the money right now. Attempting to do it quick and cheap
Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 AM
Skrilla
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

If I can add my 3 cents ,I removed the cat on my other car and have to say I regret it so much that when I did my headers and exhaust on my C5 I spent the extra money to get cats. The main thing is the smell ESP in traffic . It gives me such a headache where I won't drive in traffic anymore . Plus every one that's ever followed me says they can smell it in there car .

Last edited by Skrilla; 06-26-2017 at 01:55 AM.
InfiniteReality (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:18 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by Skrilla
If I can add my 3 cents ,I removed the cat on my other car and have to say I regret it so much that when I did my headers and exhaust on my C5 I spent the extra money to get cats. The main thing is the smell ESP in traffic . It gives me such a headache where I won't drive in traffic anymore . Plus every one that's ever followed me says they can smell it in there car .
I've never had anyone complain to me about the smell on previous vehicles and personally I can't smell all that good anyways (or I'm already use to the smell, so shouldn't really bother me too much.

Since I'm attempting to keep the exhaust fairly stock and no real need to go bigger, while at the muffler shop getting them deleted, may be worth it for them to weld up an universal aftermarket X or H pipe while there. Probably H for the sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Ditching Cats Suggestions

Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I would highly suggest you save up your money for some LG street series headers with high flow cats in the long run you will be much happier with the sound and performance. I tried louder BB Bullets exhaust too much drone and still not the sound I was looking for. I tried Corsa Sport too quiet but with headers and high flow cats that was it. I tried without cats and it was way too raspy sounding for me. your best bet is go for a ride with someone to find the sound you want although this is not always easy to do.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 PM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Originally Posted by RVETTE42
I would highly suggest you save up your money for some LG street series headers with high flow cats in the long run you will be much happier with the sound and performance. I tried louder BB Bullets exhaust too much drone and still not the sound I was looking for. I tried Corsa Sport too quiet but with headers and high flow cats that was it. I tried without cats and it was way too raspy sounding for me. your best bet is go for a ride with someone to find the sound you want although this is not always easy to do.
I'm just wanting something louder, quick and cheap. I wouldn't mind headers and full exhaust, but all my time (that'd I'd need to install a full exhaust) and money will be spent (aka dumped) into this Superlite SLC build that's shipping later this week (hopefully). When it shows up, there's no doubt I'll have any time to modify the C5 or buying stuff for it, it'll be designated as a DD and that's it....although a fun one and WAY better than any truck!

This is the Superlite SLC I'm building, well an internet picture of a completed one anyways.. Hopefully it'll make sense why I don't want to spend alot of money on a full exhaust.
Attached Images  

Last edited by InfiniteReality; 06-26-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:13 PM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm just wanting something louder, quick and cheap. I wouldn't mind headers and full exhaust, but all my time (that'd I'd need to install a full exhaust) and money will be spent (aka dumped) into this Superlite SLC build that's shipping later this week (hopefully). When it shows up, there's no doubt I'll have any time to modify the C5 or buying stuff for it, it'll be designated as a DD and that's it....although a fun one and WAY better than any truck!

This is the Superlite SLC I'm building, well an internet picture of a completed one anyways.. Hopefully it'll make sense why I don't want to spend alot of money on a full exhaust.
That looks very cool.
InfiniteReality (06-26-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ditching Cats Suggestions