Sponsored by:

Column Locked after recall

Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Column Locked after recall

OK, I get it, but....

I am the original owner of a 2002 C5 Z06. According to GM, there are no open recalls. Last week, the column physically locked up. I understand that it should NOT happen, but guess what, it did.

I bought a LCB and went unlock the column using the cigarette lighter bypass setup. Nothing happens. No sound, column still locked, etc.

Other than having at me for not having installed one earlier (I know I played with fire, but for 15 years she was fine) I have 2 questions about this:

1) What are the chances of getting Chevy to fix it correctly as it clearly was not?

2) How in creation can I fix it otherwise?

My time to work on a car is limited, I am the drywaller, electrician and finish plumber on my home remodel at the moment. Thankfully it is a spare car, but, I can't stand to not be able to drive her and my better half is so much happier when she can go drive her as well.

Thanks in advance

Ed
Old 06-25-2017, 12:10 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Check out this post:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lumn-lock.html

Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Don't take it to a dealer!

http://www.complianceparts.com

Solved all by yourself in 30 minutes
Old 06-28-2017, 01:47 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You don't understand the Column Lock Recall Service that GM did. Few people do so you are not alone. The column is Supposed to lock when the key in not in the ignition according to the original design and including AFTER the GM Recall Service. The column lock system which is controlled by the BCM unlocks the column when the key is inserted into the ignition and turned toward the on/start position. It locks again when the key is removed. At least that was the design which fails often. One failure is that it was possible to drive the car with the column locked and NHTSA finally forced a recall in 2004 for that issue. The GM solution was to reprogram the PCM to enable a 2mph fuel shutoff that is activated when the BCM thinks the column is locked and it should be unlocked. Problem with that band aid is that there are many conditions under which the BCM is out of sync with the actual state of the column and leaves the driver stranded. Another item that was only supposed to be added to the early year automatic trans cars was the addition of a GM K Harness between the BCM and the lock motor. Here's what it looks like:

Unfortunately many errant GM Tech's at the stealership added it to manual trans cars when it was not called for. What happens to the K Harness is that it fries if the battery voltage is allowed to go low and ends up like this:

One of several things is preventing the unlock tool from unlocking the column:

1) the socket you plugged into is not powered.
2) the GM K Harness is fried preventing voltage from reaching the lock motor
3) the lock motor is hung up in the closed position.

Only you can figure out which of these is happening.

As far as going to GM to have them repair the locked column, you certainly can do that but be prepared to shell out $1000 or more. GM sent a letter back in 2008 to all C5 owners of record stating that they would no longer service the column lock system free of charge IF the recall service had already been done. They consider C5 column lock failures that occur after 2008 on Recall Serviced C5's "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR" and will be repaired at the owners expense.

If the lock motor is found to be hung up you can try this procedure to get it to unlock:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=unlock

Use the arm force necessary to get the column to unlock. Sometimes that is substantial.

Once the CLB or LMC5 is properly installed the column will never again lock.

Last piece of information is that the MOST COMMON cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter solenoid. I recommend that you pull the battery and have it fully charged and load tested. Likely you will find that your battery started this problem on you.

This is what I was looking for. I have pulled the battery and checked with both a meter and had it tested, not the problem... I have had it work as a bettery meter before, but charging it solved the issue that time.

Hopefully I can get it to unlock successfully and then install the bypass currently sitting in the passenger seat with the knee bolster.

I will keep everyone posted. It is frustrating that GM allowed some tech to half A$$ a recall and walked away from it...
Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

You should check your battery for condition of Voltage, CCA (cold cranking amperage) and RC (reserve capacity). With the ignition off, test what the voltage is at the terminals. If it is less than 12.5V that is one of the causes of Column Lock, The Reserve Capacity of a battery can also below the critical point and even a battery with more than 12.5V can encounter column lock. GM has some minimum specs for the Corvette on all three.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You don't understand the Column Lock Recall Service that GM did. Few people do so you are not alone. The column is Supposed to lock when the key in not in the ignition according to the original design and including AFTER the GM Recall Service. The column lock system which is controlled by the BCM unlocks the column when the key is inserted into the ignition and turned toward the on/start position. It locks again when the key is removed. At least that was the design which fails often. One failure is that it was possible to drive the car with the column locked and NHTSA finally forced a recall in 2004 for that issue. The GM solution was to reprogram the PCM to enable a 2mph fuel shutoff that is activated when the BCM thinks the column is locked and it should be unlocked. Problem with that band aid is that there are many conditions under which the BCM is out of sync with the actual state of the column and leaves the driver stranded. Another item that was only supposed to be added to the early year automatic trans cars was the addition of a GM K Harness between the BCM and the lock motor. Here's what it looks like:

Unfortunately many errant GM Tech's at the stealership added it to manual trans cars when it was not called for. What happens to the K Harness is that it fries if the battery voltage is allowed to go low and ends up like this:

One of several things is preventing the unlock tool from unlocking the column:

1) the socket you plugged into is not powered.
2) the GM K Harness is fried preventing voltage from reaching the lock motor
3) the lock motor is hung up in the closed position.

Only you can figure out which of these is happening.

As far as going to GM to have them repair the locked column, you certainly can do that but be prepared to shell out $1000 or more. GM sent a letter back in 2008 to all C5 owners of record stating that they would no longer service the column lock system free of charge IF the recall service had already been done. They consider C5 column lock failures that occur after 2008 on Recall Serviced C5's "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR" and will be repaired at the owners expense.

If the lock motor is found to be hung up you can try this procedure to get it to unlock:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=unlock

Use the arm force necessary to get the column to unlock. Sometimes that is substantial.

Once the CLB or LMC5 is properly installed the column will never again lock.

Last piece of information is that the MOST COMMON cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter solenoid. I recommend that you pull the battery and have it fully charged and load tested. Likely you will find that your battery started this problem on you.
I told you things were busy at my house... Since the start of this thread I have hung 60 sheets of drywall, taken 1800# to the dump, removed an illegitimate and incredibly illegal electrical installation from the service entrance of my house and still worked a full time job getting people back their hands and feet. But I digress...

Thank you for the information about methods to get it unlocked/unjammed. I was finally able to get back into it last night and using one of those techniques heard the sweet sound of the lock motor operate! I installed the CLB that was already in the passenger seat and will never have that problem again!

Now that she is truly in the driveway again, I am going to reassemble the lower dash and go have some fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Column Locked after recall

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Column Locked after recall