C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on cam head combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Need advice on cam head combo

Hi guys,

I'm going to be installing an LS6 cam from an 02 z06 that a friend gave me, but what do I need to do to my 241 heads to match the cam? Other then LS6 yellow springs, do I need new lifters, and rods?

Also, what is a good oil pump for this setup? I've read about ported out OEM pumps, but not sure where to get it from.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 PM
HPS MASTER TECH
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i would pass on and stock cam. any aftermarket cam would be better. if your limited by budget like i am. you just need to save up and get quality parts. depends on how far you wanna go into your engine will determine whan you should replace. i just posted my build progress. its not a full out performance built as im limited by budget. forged pistons and rods with stock crank. it will be good for way more power than im making.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:02 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by HPS MASTER TECH
i would pass on and stock cam. any aftermarket cam would be better. if your limited by budget like i am. you just need to save up and get quality parts. depends on how far you wanna go into your engine will determine whan you should replace. i just posted my build progress. its not a full out performance built as im limited by budget. forged pistons and rods with stock crank. it will be good for way more power than im making.
Not that it is a huge expense, but I'm getting the cam for free and need to retain streetability.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Anyone else?

What do I need to do to update my 241 heads to accept an LS6 cam...
Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Nothing. The LS6 cam is pretty small, and like above, I wouldn't bother. However, if you wish to maximize the parts you already have, I would have the heads milled for more compression, or maybe shop around for take-off 243s. I sold my stock heads for $600 about 9 years ago.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
Nothing. The LS6 cam is pretty small, and like above, I wouldn't bother. However, if you wish to maximize the parts you already have, I would have the heads milled for more compression, or maybe shop around for take-off 243s. I sold my stock heads for $600 about 9 years ago.
I'm looking at that option as well, but the future of my car is uncertain at this point since I'm not sure I'll be keeping after the summer ends. In the meantime it's going in for a new damper and oil pump, hence why I just want something simple and easy.

That being said, from what I've read the LS6 cam will not work well with stock 241 heads because of the extra lift that could do damage. This is why I'm asking what else I would need to do to my 241's to work with this cam.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by STALION
I'm looking at that option as well, but the future of my car is uncertain at this point since I'm not sure I'll be keeping after the summer ends. In the meantime it's going in for a new damper and oil pump, hence why I just want something simple and easy.

That being said, from what I've read the LS6 cam will not work well with stock 241 heads because of the extra lift that could do damage. This is why I'm asking what else I would need to do to my 241's to work with this cam.

I admit I'm not familiar with 241 heads, but the LS6 cam's lift is not that much, and I really don't think it's an issue.
The following users liked this post:
STALION (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 03:11 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

You DO need to put on LS6 valve springs (or other aftermarket) to use the LS6 cam. Otherwise there's nothing else needed. Since you have the springs off I'd change the valve stem seals.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with a stock LS6 cam. You can buy used cams 1/2 price and a set of new Comp 918 springs aren't much.
STALION (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

You can use the heads. Get the GM blue springs. Don't use used yellow springs. You could do a LS2 timing chain while you're in there and new pushrods wouldn't hurt either.
STALION (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

243 or 799 heads.
STALION (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I agree with the others that say to go with a better cam, there isn't much difference to justify doing all that work in my opinion but if it's what you want to do so be it... definitely measure the pushrod length after you have the cam installed... the ls6 cam was ground on a smaller base circle and the z06 243 heads used slightly longer valves to make up the difference for the smaller base circle so that's why they use the same length pushrods that the ls1 uses... since you will be using 241 heads most likely you will need a slightly longer pushrod, it's not much something like .025 longer but if you do need them and just throw your pushrods back in you might have more valvetrain noise and not enough preload on the lifters... also do new springs, valve seals, oil pump, timing chain, and also consider doing a trunnion upgrade while everything is apart, and then you will need a tune... after all that is said and done you will have spent a good chunk of money for not a lot of power, just not worth it to me personally

Last edited by neutron82; 07-10-2017 at 08:42 PM.
STALION (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

OK...change of plans. Looks like the cam I will be getting out of my friends car is not the LS6 after all. It's a comp custom grind cam that was used in a z06 and stock heads. It dynoed at 425hp (not sure of the trq specs).

My engine has 105k
Work being done so far:

Power bond PB1117N harmonic balancer
Melling M295 oil pump
OEM timing chain sprocket (upper/lower)
OEM chain dampner
Hinson C5R timing chain

I'm working not only on a budget, but time constraints. What I need now is to figure out just how deep I need to go on the heads. So far suggestions have been good, so tell me if this sounds right:

Valve springs (dual springs with guide seals and hats) or if someone can recommend a complete kit where I don't have to remove the heads (if possible).

at this point not sure what else...keep in mind budget.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

LS6 heads and eat Ramen noodles. You will be glad later.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you will probably be happier with that cam, does your friend know the specs?... that will help you with spring selection... I agree that if you can splurge for a set of 243/799 heads that will definitely be a good idea but if it just isn't feasible at the moment you can get away with just doing springs on your 241 heads, just be aware that you will be somewhat choking the engine... the rest of your parts list looks good... I didn't see it posted but in case I missed it somewhere do you already have headers?... if your car is pre 01 have you put an ls6 intake on it yet?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by neutron82
you will probably be happier with that cam, does your friend know the specs?... that will help you with spring selection... I agree that if you can splurge for a set of 243/799 heads that will definitely be a good idea but if it just isn't feasible at the moment you can get away with just doing springs on your 241 heads, just be aware that you will be somewhat choking the engine... the rest of your parts list looks good... I didn't see it posted but in case I missed it somewhere do you already have headers?... if your car is pre 01 have you put an ls6 intake on it yet?

These are the cam specs...

I did some research and I may just freshen my heads but other then springs/ retainers not sure if I would need new valves as well and connecting rods as well. Would I need new Rocker and arms? Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Medium/large cam on stock heads. Lift is high enough to need the best springs you can buy. I think you meant to say pushrods, not connecting rods, and you can probably do without them in favor of budget, and needing other things more. BTW, you might need to check for piston to valve clearence. You're going down an expensive road, just so you know.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
Medium/large cam on stock heads. Lift is high enough to need the best springs you can buy. I think you meant to say pushrods, not connecting rods, and you can probably do without them in favor of budget, and needing other things more. BTW, you might need to check for piston to valve clearence. You're going down an expensive road, just so you know.
Ya, I'm starting to see that, not sure how I feel about all of this! The only thing my friend had with this cam was dual springs, trunion kit, 7.4 push rods, retainers, valve stem seal kit. Does that makes sense? Can anyone recommend a decent name brand that won't break the bank? My buddy got all Brian Tooley parts and prices are crazy!

Last edited by STALION; 07-18-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on cam head combo

Old 07-20-2017, 09:52 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

I'm still learning about pairing cam to head combo, so can anyone recommend a spring kit with specs with the cam I posted?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The cam you reference is going to need good dual springs. If you are sure you are using the 241 heads then I would suggest contacting a few of the vendors you'll find here on the Forum. Explain to them your set up (heads, cam) and let them make recommendations. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone who manufacturers a good, quality spring set up that is really inexpensive. I'm sure you are aware, a quality set of springs is a lot less expensive than an engine rebuild if cheap springs drop a valve.
STALION (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm considering these springs if I ever decide to do a cam swap

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4625
STALION (07-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Need advice on cam head combo