Originally Posted by JR-01
I disagree.
These were the ugliest wheels in Corvette history:

Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Personally I like the factory look the best as well... I went with Z06 chrome replicas...and I get compliments everywhere I go... I think they are the best money Ive ever spent on my Vette...

Very nice looking C5.
Unfortuntely the original style '97-'99 C5 Rims have little value. If they are truly mint and you have space in the attic, garage or basement, hold onto them. Some day in the future they may gain value.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
Very nice looking C5.
Unfortuntely the original style '97-'99 C5 Rims have little value. If they are truly mint and you have space in the attic, garage or basement, hold onto them. Some day in the future they may gain value.
I doubt if wagon wheels will ever gain in value. More than likely there are thousands of them in attics, garages and basements. I would not bother hanging on to them.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

I had Chrome wagon wheels on my 98 and really liked them until one of them cracked. I replaced them all with C6 ZO6 replica's ten years ago. Still happy with the look. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who likes the saw blade c4 wheels LOL

I'm a sucker for retro 80s stuff.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by acuevo

Even Yugo wheels looked better......

Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

You guys are probably going to give me crap...if the C5 I end up buying doesn't have chrome WWs on it when I buy it, I will put them on myself. Even if I end up buying an '00 or newer that came with the thin spoked wheels, I will trade them to someone for the chrome WWs...
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by grampi50
You guys are probably going to give me crap...if the C5 I end up buying doesn't have chrome WWs on it when I buy it, I will put them on myself. Even if I end up buying an '00 or newer that came with the thin spoked wheels, I will trade them to someone for the chrome WWs...
You may or may not be aware that chrome WW did not come OEM on a C5. They were all painted gray. If that's what makes you happy putting WW on your car, go for it. I have a set in perfect condition I will be happy to sell you that you can have chromed

Last edited by Fcar 98; 07-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by acuevo

I love the 80s & 90s C4 rims - so you're not alone!!! To me it defines the era back then...just like the digital dashboards in the 84+ Vettes, they just make those cars what they were then...and (to me) very special today...
Old 07-18-2017, 09:06 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcar 98
You may or may not be aware that chrome WW did not come OEM on a C5. They were all painted gray. If that's what makes you happy putting WW on your car, go for it. I have a set in perfect condition I will be happy to sell you that you can have chromed

I may be interested, but first I have to get the car...and who knows, it might already have them, but I doubt it...most people seem to replace the WWs with something else...plus if the one I buy comes with thin spoked wheels, I may be able to find someone who has a set of the chrome WWs and would like to trade...
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grampi50
Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

If you want the thin spoke wheels I'd highly recommend you go OEM and avoid the replica wheel market.

Yes, some of the Y2K had cracking issues, but they're still going to be of higher quality than the replicas. My car came with a set of replica thin spoke wheels and while they looked fine in photos, up close you could tell they weren't real polished wheels. Some of the early versions were forged, which is quite nice.

If you go aftermarket, stick with a quality brand that has a good reputation.

Just my $0.02 on the situation.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I personally like the WW's. I went out and bought myself a set that are the painted version and I only paid $80 for them with tires. I will not put them on my car, ever (unless I sell it someday) but I'm going to take the tires off and make end tables out of them for my "Vette Room". I think that's a good use for them for now.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Not my first choice, but I don't think the wagon wheels look that bad. The C4 sawblades are much worse.

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly
If you want the thin spoke wheels I'd highly recommend you go OEM and avoid the replica wheel market.

Unless you're spending a pretty penny, most of the replica wheels on the market are made in China and the quality is garbage.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:07 AM
ZXoltan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for everyone's input

I would definitely get OEM thin-spokes, not aftermarket, but for now I will probably just put new tires on the WW's. Unfortunately after tire installers have at dismounting the old tires they probably will no longer be pristine anyway :-(

I will keep my eyes open for some nice later C-5 thin spokes for my next tire change. I wasnt aware of the cracking problem on these, however. Can anyone elaborate? How can you identify these issues? When did they make the forged ones and how can you identify those?

thanks again!

Last edited by ZXoltan; 07-19-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Our '98 came with the dealer upgrade chrome WW in mint condition, for me only other wheel I would consider are the optional magnesium spoke wheels.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM
ZXoltan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree they look much better in chrome, or even in the yellow for the Pace Car (I actually think they are perfect for the Pace Car, just not for MY silver car).

Someone mentioned issues with the magnesium wheels. Is this a well-known problem, and what exactly happens? Cracking?

Get notified of new replies

To New Member: 1998 Wheels Question

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by ZXoltan
I agree they look much better in chrome, or even in the yellow for the Pace Car (I actually think they are perfect for the Pace Car, just not for MY silver car).

Someone mentioned issues with the magnesium wheels. Is this a well-known problem, and what exactly happens? Cracking?
When i ordered my car in September of 97 the mag wheel was not available in the U.S. I was told there was a problem with the wheel but not told what. I have been running repo wheels on my car for 17 of the 19 years I've owned it with no problems at all. I live in SW PA. Some of the worst roads in the country and have never had a problem. I have read story after story on this forum about OEM wheel that have failed. That includes every type of OEM wheel that was but on the C5. My thin 5 spoke wheel was much better than the OEM wheel because it was polished and uncoated and was better to get a good shine. If you have had a repo wheel and have had a problem with them then i can understand your complaint. Other wise you should not comment on their reliability. I have had that hands on experience thats why i comment on them.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
OCDvetteman
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyMcFly

Yes, some of the Y2K had cracking issues, but they're still going to be of higher quality than the replicas. My car came with a set of replica thin spoke wheels and while they looked fine in photos, up close you could tell they weren't real polished wheels. Some of the early versions were forged, which is quite nice.

If you go aftermarket, stick with a quality brand that has a good reputation.

Just my $0.02 on the situation.
My '99 came with WWs. I sold them on the big auction site for $200 and replaced them with OEM '00-'04 polished aluminums. I think I paid $400 for them. Not a bad swap IMO. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcar 98
When i ordered my car in September of 97 the mag wheel was not available in the U.S. I was told there was a problem with the wheel but not told what. I have been running repo wheels on my car for 17 of the 19 years I've owned it with no problems at all. I live in SW PA. Some of the worst roads in the country and have never had a problem. I have read story after story on this forum about OEM wheel that have failed. That includes every type of OEM wheel that was but on the C5. My thin 5 spoke wheel was much better than the OEM wheel because it was polished and uncoated and was better to get a good shine. If you have had a repo wheel and have had a problem with them then i can understand your complaint. Other wise you should not comment on their reliability. I have had that hands on experience thats why i comment on them.

I think its just a crapshoot with aftermarkets. My chromed Z06 replicas balanced terribly, and the chrome got destroyed by the semi-aggressive brake dust. Peeled/stained all over the inner barrel and sides of the spokes. I don't doubt they're relatively strong, but for appearances and drivability, I think they're a bad choice.

Quick Reply: New Member: 1998 Wheels Question