Sponsored by:

[Z06] Finally got my childhood dream car! Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Finally got my childhood dream car! Need some help

Hey guys! Picked up a 2003 Millennium Yellow ZO6 with 88k miles scored it for a great deal and couldn't be more stoked, my dads owned an 04 ZO6 he bought brand new in 04 ever since then I knew I had to have one. Now, at the age of 25 I finally do!

Problem:
-The car has an LS2 swapped into it, its cammed has long tube headers, tuned and ZO6 Heads. The car pulls great and rides smooth but there is one issue, the ABS/Traction control lights are on all the time, when I go into the computer it says "TCS no comm." The guy I bought it from claimed his tuner "tuned" it off because it would cut out power when he would get on it in 1st/2nd I'm thinking they either didn't wire it up during the swap or pulled a fuse / sensor somewhere. Any input on where to start looking? Thanks!

Here she is the night we took her home, Last Wednesday
[url=https://flic.kr/p/WSmXG4]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WBgesS]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WSmVhp]

Played around with her a bit this weekend with my dad, lowered down on stock bolts and threw on some extra wheels he had laying around.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WgXpH9]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VAaPLQ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WBg7gN]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WNGDDf]

Amazing what a little drop and some wheels can do!
Waiting to refinish some CCW classics for this beast got quite a few other goodies coming soon as well! Will post updates here!

Last edited by ZO6_Dom; 07-18-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Yellow rules!

Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Not sure how to diagnose the ABS/Traction Control Warning lights without having the car with me.

The problem with customization of core components, is that when you (or someone else) does them, they need all the right components and component configurations to ensure the BCM/CCM sensors and actuators and the PCM sensors and actuators, can send the correct signal codes across the network. When they don't or one is missing, then things start to break down.

Think in terms of a group of people in a conversation. The communication is all casual as four friends are sitting at a table. Two friends are talking to each other, and the other two start to each other as well. Every once in a while, all of you start communicating collectively, meaning all are joining into one big conversation.

Suddenly, one of your friends calls your name and ask you a specific question, that the entire group wants the answer to, but you do not hear them. The others are waiting for you to respond buy you don't, because you didn't hear what was asked or that your name was called. All communication stops and the conversation goes into a sleep mode, waiting for you to respond. That's what MAY BE HAPPENING in your ABS/Traction control system.

It may be an issue that an OBD2 tuner might be able to resolve, or one where you need custom coding. If the former, most shops can do that. If the latter, most shops cannot do that.

Of course it could be that you actually have a bad ABS/TCS sensor, actuator, or some type of short or disconnected wire as well.

If you aren't sure, take to a reputable shop that knows their way around Corvettes and let them check it for you, They should be able to tell if you have a missing communication signal from a device or if the units are actually throwing a trouble code. A missing signal or code is sometimes common for a bad unit or a short as well, but if it is throwing an actual DTC or Trouble code, then you would have a better idea if it is a bad unit or a case of missing information.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 07-19-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

bikeriderga gives some sound advice.

The car looks good, looks better with the new wheels. I'm not a fan of the stock Z06 wheels, that was the first thing I replaced on my Z. I would be a little concerned about the offset, looks like a little "poke" in the back.

You could still go a little lower if you wanted to.

Shakey
Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Not sure how to diagnose the ABS/Traction Control Warning lights without having the car with me.

The problem with customization of core components, is that when you (or someone else) does them, they need all the right components and component configurations to ensure the BCM/CCM sensors and actuators and the PCM sensors and actuators, can send the correct signal codes across the network. When they don't or one is missing, then things start to break down.

Think in terms of a group of people in a conversation. The communication is all casual as four friends are sitting at a table. Two friends are talking to each other, and the other two start to each other as well. Every once in a while, all of you start communicating collectively, meaning all are joining into one big conversation.

Suddenly, one of your friends calls your name and ask you a specific question, that the entire group wants the answer to, but you do not hear them. The others are waiting for you to respond buy you don't, because you didn't hear what was asked or that your name was called. All communication stops and the conversation goes into a sleep mode, waiting for you to respond. That's what MAY BE HAPPENING in your ABS/Traction control system.

It may be an issue that an OBD2 tuner might be able to resolve, or one where you need custom coding. If the former, most shops can do that. If the latter, most shops cannot do that.

Of course it could be that you actually have a bad ABS/TCS sensor, actuator, or some type of short or disconnected wire as well.

If you aren't sure, take to a reputable shop that knows their way around Corvettes and let them check it for you, They should be able to tell if you have a missing communication signal from a device or if the units are actually throwing a trouble code. A missing signal or code is sometimes common for a bad unit or a short as well, but if it is throwing an actual DTC or Trouble code, then you would have a better idea if it is a bad unit or a case of missing information.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the sound advice, I like to try to do most of the work myself on my cars but sounds like ill at least have to have a shop diagnose it

Not sure if it helps but when I go into the computer codes these are all the ones it gives me

P0300 H C
P1571 H C
P1689 H C

28-TCS
NO COMM.

40-BCM
B0432 H C
B2723 H

58-SDM
U1040 H C

60-IPC
NO CODES

80-RADIO
NO CODES

99-HVAC
NO COMM.

A0-LDCM
NO CODES

A1-RDCM
NO CODES

A6-SCM
NO CODES

B0-RFA
NO CODES
Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZO6_Dom
Thanks for the sound advice, I like to try to do most of the work myself on my cars but sounds like ill at least have to have a shop diagnose it

Not sure if it helps but when I go into the computer codes these are all the ones it gives me

P0300 H C
P1571 H C
P1689 H C

28-TCS
NO COMM.

40-BCM
B0432 H C

58-SDM
U1040 H C
Yes, it helps. Notice that you have TCS reporting, "NO COMMUNICATION". Precisely what I was talking about, Someone has been asked a question, but they are not listening or did not hear that they are suppose to answer (per the friend conversation example in my first response).

I am almost sure that the SDM (U1040) and the P1571 are at least part of the issues. THE U1040 is a speed sensor that is not reporting speed information back to the TCS. P1571 is a brake sensor malfunction code, so that may be the result of the U1040 or it could be something else related to the brake sensor/actuator modules. Of course the TCS ECU could be bad on it's own and could be causing the other sensors to malfunction. However, I almost willing to bet it is not communicating because it is not getting the information it needs to report from the other modules. No way of knowing without a CAN sniff.

BTW, the two other codes showing current, are related to Powertrain issues.

P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1689 = Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

I doubt that these two codes are related to the others, unless you have a grounding issue and they would meet at the same grounding point. Could be, but I doubt it. Of course not knowing how the LS2 wiring harness was connected to the various control units in the vehicle, makes it difficult to know if these are really experiencing an issue or if they were not properly wired to the internal computers and CAN bus,

If it were me, I would not start buying parts and doing a trial and error fix. If you are missing a signal due a missing component or CAN software program, you could keep replacing parts and never address the real issue.

I highly recommend you take your car to a Corvette expert or CAN expert and let them hook the car up to a computer and see what is happening. If you have the option of taking back to the ones who installed the LS2, then they may know exactly what and where the real issue is.

Another option might be to put in a call to Vengeance Racing, Chuck Cow, or others who do mods for a living. They may have run into these exact same issues on drive train swaps and know where to look.

Best of luck.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 07-19-2017 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 06:30 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

What did you decide to do? Any updates?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call any time!

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Yes, it helps. Notice that you have TCS reporting, "NO COMMUNICATION". Precisely what I was talking about, Someone has been asked a question, but they are not listening or did not hear that they are suppose to answer (per the friend conversation example in my first response).

I am almost sure that the SDM (U1040) and the P1571 are at least part of the issues. THE U1040 is a speed sensor that is not reporting speed information back to the TCS. P1571 is a brake sensor malfunction code, so that may be the result of the U1040 or it could be something else related to the brake sensor/actuator modules. Of course the TCS ECU could be bad on it's own and could be causing the other sensors to malfunction. However, I almost willing to bet it is not communicating because it is not getting the information it needs to report from the other modules. No way of knowing without a CAN sniff.

BTW, the two other codes showing current, are related to Powertrain issues.

P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1689 = Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

I doubt that these two codes are related to the others, unless you have a grounding issue and they would meet at the same grounding point. Could be, but I doubt it. Of course not knowing how the LS2 wiring harness was connected to the various control units in the vehicle, makes it difficult to know if these are really experiencing an issue or if they were not properly wired to the internal computers and CAN bus,

If it were me, I would not start buying parts and doing a trial and error fix. If you are missing a signal due a missing component or CAN software program, you could keep replacing parts and never address the real issue.

I highly recommend you take your car to a Corvette expert or CAN expert and let them hook the car up to a computer and see what is happening. If you have the option of taking back to the ones who installed the LS2, then they may know exactly what and where the real issue is.

Another option might be to put in a call to Vengeance Racing, Chuck Cow, or others who do mods for a living. They may have run into these exact same issues on drive train swaps and know where to look.

Best of luck.

Give a ring any time!

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 07-26-2017, 04:23 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Very sharp!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM
latenightlarry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default other zo6

hey Dom. that other zo6 sure looks cool. you know the silver one in the pics. wow what a stance. whos is that ? cool wheels for extras! keep it right side up, and happy zo6ing. DaD
Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks like you have a number of issues including a random misfire. You can tell what the current problems are by the codes "H" means history a "C" means current.

Try to get your car to a shop or have someone with a Tech2 check it out. As for the ABS, you could try the automated bleed using a tech2 to see if the ABS unit working.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got my childhood dream car! Need some help

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally got my childhood dream car! Need some help