Sponsored by:

Finally retired...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Finally retired...

Not me, my tires. My 98, originally my Dad's, was still on the original Goodyear runflats. 19000 miles. Still plenty of tread, but as observed in many other threads, they had hardened, rode rough, were noisy, and somewhat suspect grip.

I replaced them with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (non-runflat). I ordered them (and sensors) from TireRack and had them delivered to the local Chevy dealer for installation. For some reason they couldn't train the sensors, but suggested that I go to Tire Discount. They were able to train them, resolving my worry that I got the wrong sensors.

I picked the Continentals for their excellent wet grip ratings I've seen in the reviews. I figured all the tires have excellent dry grip, and the wet grip was more important.

I should have done it sooner. The new tires ride MUCH better than the old ones!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Congrats! Now enjoy your ride!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM
bc6152
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 272 Posts

Do you keep a spare in your car?

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 07-19-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: No reason to quote the entire OP.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Congrats! You might want to consider a tire plug kit and small compressor.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No surprise that tires that old did not ride or handle well. Enjoy your new tires - you should be pleased with the new rubber on the car.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Originally Posted by bc6152
No spare. I have a compressor and a couple cans of fix-a-flat in one of the trunk bins.

If I flat, my plan is to first use the compressor. If it won't hold air, then use the fix-a-flat. I think I read that suggestion from Evil Twin.

I've only had a couple punctures in the last 20 years, and both times the object stayed in the tire so it continued to hold air.

I thought about a plug kit, but I don't see how it is possible to do a roadside repair with the car so low, especially the rear.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 PM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Be aware that if you use that fix-a-flat stuff, your new tire pressure sensor will be toast. That stuff plugs them up. I went to the sporting goods store and got a 20 oz. Co2 cylinder, a hose that is meant to connect the cylinder to a paintball gun, a 1/8" to 1/4" npt bushing and a tire chuck. Put it all together and you've got 850 PSI of instant tire inflation goodness. I've had to use this kind of setup a couple of times on the side of a busy highway. Just stick in a tire plug and air the tire up in seconds. I liked it so much I got a big 5 pound cylinder to go in the back of my pickup because the 20 oz. cylinders won't air up my big truck tires but they easily handle a car tire like ours.

The following 2 users liked this post by tupeloC5:
doublenut9 (07-20-2017), Route99 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
If you switch to non-run flats all you need to carry with you is a small 12V compressor. Any flat or leaking tire you have can be aired up enough to get to safety. If you have catastrophic sidewall damage a run flat would have been no good anyway; you're calling a flat bed be it run flat or non-run flat.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Originally Posted by tupeloC5
Be aware that if you use that fix-a-flat stuff, your new tire pressure sensor will be toast. That stuff plugs them up. I went to the sporting goods store and got a 20 oz. Co2 cylinder, a hose that is meant to connect the cylinder to a paintball gun, a 1/8" to 1/4" npt bushing and a tire chuck. Put it all together and you've got 850 PSI of instant tire inflation goodness. I've had to use this kind of setup a couple of times on the side of a busy highway. Just stick in a tire plug and air the tire up in seconds. I liked it so much I got a big 5 pound cylinder to go in the back of my pickup because the 20 oz. cylinders won't air up my big truck tires but they easily handle a car tire like ours.
The fix-a-flat is labeled as safe for sensors. Hopefully true, but I wouldn't use unless the compressor alone couldn't keep it inflated.

I'm less confident about the usefulness of a plug kit. I don't see how it is possible to patch a tire without removing it. Are there jacks that can fit under a vette with a flat tire?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

I just inflate the tire, listen for the leak leak to find it, grab the nail with some pliers and yank it out, stuff a plug in and then top off the pressure. Quick and easy.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Good idea but wondering is that canister safe to leave in a hot car? How about cold weather? Tks
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Lazarus Long
Racer

I just inflate the tire, listen for the leak leak to find it, grab the nail with some pliers and yank it out, stuff a plug in and then top off the pressure. Quick and easy.
If the nail is still in the tire, it will probably hold air and just have a slow leak. Why not just re-inflate with the compressor and drive to the shop?

The videos of using the patch kit that I've seen look like it is very difficult to do without removing the wheel. Especially on the rear, where only a tiny fraction of the tire circumference will be exposed.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:15 PM
tupeloC5
Intermediate

As far as heat, I've had these cylinders in all my vehicles for years with no problem. It was 105 degrees here in Tupelo today and my pickup truck sat in the sun all day with a 5 pound cylinder inside a black toolbox - I don't even want to think about how hot it got in there today, but it didn't burst the overpressure valve.

As far as leaving the nail in there, I'd rather not. I just got back from a trip to the NC mountains around Asheville. There are some fun twisty roads there, but if I picked up a nail, I would want it out ASAP before it came out on its own and led to catastrophic tire failure. As far as using a tire plug, it's easy. Just put one of those black rope things covered in tacky stuff in the tool, coat it in more adhesive from the plug kit and push it in the hole. The hole is instantly sealed and I have driven on that kind of plug for 10's of thousands of miles without them ever leaking again. You don't have to take the tire off the car or take the tire off the rim. Just shove 'er in and air up. Kit costs $6 at Wallyworld.

You all do know that those 12V pumps are all made in China, right? China=junk. It will leave you stranded when you need it most.

Last edited by tupeloC5; 07-21-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally retired...

Quick Reply: Finally retired...