Sponsored by:

C5 prices going up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Its fairly obvious that some who call others BS artist don't have the ability to read what others in this thread have said. In this instance, a woman paid 35 K for an 81 Corvette. To her it was worth 35K... someone like you might say it wasn't worth that much, but to that person it was. so who are you to say anyone here is a BS artist ??? I know who you are because I have seen who you are. JUST an FYI, I've never put my car up for sale... Never... I've been offered, approached < Money in hand for the last two years 25K That's up 5 K from their original offer. People on this forum who have been here a long time have offered the same in open forum...They are still here on this forum and post regularly. I have notes of intent to buy with names and addresses. Why do you offer, insults and disparaging remarks to a subject or a car you know nothing about.

EG. If you asked a dealer what a fully documented 20 year old Corvette is worth, they will tell you documentation on a trade in, it is worth 0 to 500 dollars to them however on resale on the lot that same documentation is worth 3000 to 5,000 dollar add on because full documentation is very rare.

Full documentation will close most deals...dealers know that Most buyers will feel a very high level of confidence in a one owner car with full documentation, especially if they have seen what is actually out there.. you know that 80% average car. many buyers will look and many will feel very little confidence.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

It's still a 99 C5 with over 100K on it. They made a bunch of them. It is not rare or special and is not worth more than the same car with 5-10K miles. Most low mileage cars usually have all their documentation too and there is a lot less of it. Only a couple of oil changes, new tires and fluid changes. Sorry, but documentation does not add $10,000 to the value of a '99 C5. Mods do not usually add value either. If you believe you car is worth that much then that's your right.
I have an 01 with 70K miles and I have all the paperwork, receipts and documentation too. Potential buyers will say;"That's nice" but they are not going to pay any more for it.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
It's still a 99 C5 with over 100K on it. They made a bunch of them. It is not rare or special and is not worth more than the same car with 5-10K miles. Most low mileage cars usually have all their documentation too and there is a lot less of it. Only a couple of oil changes, new tires and fluid changes. Sorry, but documentation does not add $10,000 to the value of a '99 C5. Mods do not usually add value either. If you believe you car is worth that much then that's your right.
I have an 01 with 70K miles and I have all the paperwork, receipts and documentation too. Potential buyers will say;"That's nice" but they are not going to pay any more for it.
I assume you would agree your car is worth 8-12k!
I agree with ET in that this Forum has changed over the past several years. I miss some of the regular posters on this Forum such as Torque (Mark's Z06). I recall he sold his for $29,500 last year very quickly. Today we are saying you can buy "any" C5 for 8-12k.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 PM
VetteLog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not selling my car until it becomes a classic! And maybe not even then. The joy of driving it every now and then is a million bucks of feeling.

Well maintained low 72K mileage 2002 MY Vert Vette. Chromes on the right places.

What a beauty. Sigh. And I own it.

Last edited by VetteLog; 07-24-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by ironranger
I assume you would agree your car is worth 8-12k!
I agree with ET in that this Forum has changed over the past several years. I miss some of the regular posters on this Forum such as Torque (Mark's Z06). I recall he sold his for $29,500 last year very quickly. Today we are saying you can buy "any" C5 for 8-12k.
I think mine might be worth 13 to $15K. It is an '01 convertible with over 70K miles in excellent condition. This is going by book values, actual local area sales and ads. They made a lot of C5s. They are not rare or collector cars and there are a lot of them for sale, some like new with extremely low miles. '99 C5s with low mileage go for 15 to $17K. Why would any rational person pay $10K more for a 100K mile car, just because the owner kept his empty oil bottles?
BS is BS.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

http://www.vettefinders.com/index.cf...e-for-sale.htm

Some guys actually do believe their cars are made of gold.
Can't say he does not dream big!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

http://www.vettefinders.com/index.cf...e-for-sale.htm

Some guys actually do believe their cars are made of gold.
Originally Posted by ~Josh
A Mallett with 20k miles is highly desirable. Plus is has big brakes, carbon fiber, etc but I think it's about $10k above real value.
Hope he plans on sitting on it for a while. I agree, he is about 10K too high.

You can buy a C7 for what he is asking for that car.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steig
A super low mileage 2000 - 2004 C5 in excellent condition for under 20K. Not in my area.
I seen a super low mileage 03 ZO6 for 29,995 at local dealer, it has been sold. Not sure what $$$ they got for car. But 29,995 was asking price.
Was interested in a 04 ZO6 last year, approx 20k miles, car was sold for 26k before I could travel an hour to see it.
That's a low mileage Z06 and yes, you would be hard pressed to find one under 20K.

The Z06s in very good to excellent condition with under 50K miles, are generally 20K and up. Some get them for under 20K, but not many.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:42 AM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

As for the woman who bid $35K at Barrett Jackson for an 1981 she is pretty much thought the fool. If she doesn't try to flip it and enjoys the car then no big deal.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
...those who really know the C5 market know that mileage means nothing to an LS1. It could be a point to argue with someone who is an amateur. Many member just start to mod their LSX motor after 100,000 to 250,000 miles...

Low mileage cars can be much more problematic than average mileage cars... for example... a car that sits for months develop rust in the lower end of the cylinder walls. this causes slight scratches in the rings which lead to premature oil burning. I can offer 50 reasons why a low mileage car can be more problematic.. a 20 year old car with 100,000 miles on it is a much more internally sound than a 20 year old car with 20,000 miles on it. Of course you would have to know something about automotive technology to grasp this concept. ring gaps are set at 18 to 20 thousands .018 to .020 in. A motor that sits can cause this gap to decrease out of spec.
Bill, I'll defer to your years of experience and the excellent reputation of the LS engine family but those miles effect more than the motor.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

While I love mine these are not collector cars. Heck ya cant even get parts for some of them.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
As for the woman who bid $35K at Barrett Jackson for an 1981 she is pretty much thought the fool. If she doesn't try to flip it and enjoys the car then no big deal.

Bill, I'll defer to your years of experience and the excellent reputation of the LS engine family but those miles effect more than the motor.
I will respond because your comments are gracious and mature.
My car is as tight as the day I bought it with upgraded shocks and sways and end links.. everything works as new. It has new hydraulics and LS7 clutch and flywheel. The paint has no nicks or scratches and never had any swirl marks in the paint. The paint looks new and wet thanks to Zaino. Rotors are upgraded Baer Eradispeed Plus two 14 inch 2 piece. The Very first set to enter this country from Australia and at my request to Baer through a collaboration with Rick Elam project engineer for Baer. It took two years to develop this rotor. Corsa Stainless steel exhaust guaranteed for life. Navigation and upgraded head unit, back up camera, upgraded speaker system, Upgraded interior, Upgraded wheels and tires, CF fenders and MCM hood. B&M Ripper, Upgraded radiator, Not much left to go wrong and if it does, Ill fix it. I have no plans to sell the car, but if I did, it would not last more than one day. The reason, not to sell? I still love the car and it has my DNA all over it. It has some factory one off parts that are not found in any other C5 on the planet, and mine, including yours and every other C5 on the planet has seven proprietary designs that are of my design. I've been in mustang cobras that are 5 years old that rattle like a buckboard. Its the only car of 27 i've owned over 72 years that still gives me wood every time I turn the key.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

To me this is not about making any money or thinking its a collectors item... its about the ultimate secret of life.. that is to be Happy.. I get more Kudos now then when it was New.
Anytime I get in or out of the car and make eye contact with anyone, there is always " Always " some sort of positive comments.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by steig
A super low mileage 2000 - 2004 C5 in excellent condition for under 20K. Not in my area.
I seen a super low mileage 03 ZO6 for 29,995 at local dealer, it has been sold. Not sure what $$$ they got for car. But 29,995 was asking price.
Was interested in a 04 ZO6 last year, approx 20k miles, car was sold for 26k before I could travel an hour to see it.

C5Zs are another story...I'm talking strictly non-Zs...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Anyone who is offered $25K for a 100K+ mile '99 should sell...that price is way above market price...
The following 2 users liked this post by grampi50:
3tt3v8P (07-25-2017), ArmchairArchitect (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Prices do tend to rise in the spring and summer and decline in the fall and winter. This is still prime time for selling a car so yes, the prices tend to be higher. Of course a seller can ask what they want - getting it is another question. I still think the C5 tends to be undervalued on the forum.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

A note about buying from a forum member that no one has mentioned: If you buy from a long-time forum member you have a unique opportunity to review past posts if they are at all active. (Sorry Tony- I cyber stalked you before I bought the car.....hey, I do research for a living! )

I knew about the maintenance, upgrades etc that I was buying. Also, having the ability to still contact the prior owner. Hey, if it blows up tomorrow It's all on me BUT- since the prior owner is such a nice guy I have had an opportunity to ask a question about where an aftermarket piece came from that helped a lot in tracking down replacement parts.
Also getting to send the prior owner pictures of his former baby in front of the NCM was kinda cool

I'm sure it also helped that the seller had a chance to review that I'm not some craigslist scammer. This was especially helpful since I drove 6 hours with a bank check to go see the car.......in February.......across Pennsylvania
Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a '98 M6 coupe, 74k miles, all options for its year. Owned it from new. But I have never kept records, the only paper records I ever keep are ones I am legally required to keep - otherwise there would be even more c**p stashed in my basement than there is now. I do have a copy (electronic) of the dealer records from when it was under warranty. It has been serviced by the book, but I am not one who is going to wash it after every trip, or not drive in the rain - IMO, that's just silly, and it's not as if the body will rust. Anyway, I bought it as a DD which is what it was for the first part of its life.

The fact is early C5's are now cheap rides - my car is 20 years old, and 20 year old cars unless they are rare (which is C5 is definitely not) are not going to hold much of a price. Which means that almost anyone can own one if they want to, and good for them.

I think the KBB estimates are about right. I think someone who really wants one wants a "perfect" car, might pay, say $10k over, but that's about it. And it would probably be someone older who wants a vert anyway.

IMO, the fact that I have owned it from new, etc, is not going to make much price difference if I sold it. That's life. If it looked like a museum piece and only had a couple thousand miles on the clock, maybe, but then, why on earth would I have bought it in the first place? I bought it to drive it, not polish it.

C5Z's are different - they hold price because of rarity. The price difference new was not that great. Again, strictly my opinion, I would not pay high twenties for one when I could get a C6 Z06 for low thirties.

I still enjoy my C5, but it's nowhere near the top of my priority list, never has been - my family, a nice home, and quality of life in general, all come way ahead of any car I might own.

Last edited by jackthelad; 07-25-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 prices going up?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Face it these have gone the way of the mid-late C3, C4 and as the newer vettes electronics age they will too get cheap

Thats a good thing, how many cool cars are so expensive you get priced out of the game?

A well maintained C5 is a good bang for the buck sports car. I hope they all stay cheap so I can get another knock around car if I get bored.Heck I got back into vettes cause they were cheaper than a Camaro

If yours isnt hacked up in good shape youll get a little more than avg but if you think your coupe, FRC or whatever is worth a bundle cause its a certain color or 1 of XXX your delusional. Read an ad here a few weeks back, some guy was posting "future collectible" wanting that value now, gtfo

These are not collector cars, just cheap late model sports cars. Embrace it. THis hobby is supposed to be fun, if future value is that big a deal sell it or get counseling.

The woman that paid stupid $ for the C3 didnt do her research or had means, didnt care and bought on an emotional impulse.

Biggest problem for C5 fanboys down the road will be finding a C5z that isnt beat to death; the hacking some guys do here is downright comical.

Last edited by cv67; 07-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cv67:
ArmchairArchitect (07-25-2017), Spasetrucker (07-27-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by yello95
hold on sherlock....not long ago i sold my 1995 zf6speed vert with 73k miles in pristine condition for $19.5k and now im sorry i let it go that cheap.....
A few comments:

1) Every seller dreams about finding someone willing to overpay for their car - but you found the King of The Morons if they paid that much for your car...

2) Your Vette was nice...but your definition of "pristine" and mine are very different

3) Not sure how long ago you sold your Vette, but currently, Corvette DNA values a 95 Convt 6-spd at: $11,900 in EXCELLENT condition (which I would not value that Vette at that level based on the pictures you shared) - but even if I did - my valuation was spot on when I said the C4 range was under $12,000.

So my dear Watson...I base my valuations and prices off of facts and data...just like "Sherlock" did...so your "jab" was actually quite accurate...
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Face it these have gone the way of the mid-late C3, C4 and as the newer vettes electronics age they will too get cheap

Thats a good thing, how many cool cars are so expensive you get priced out of the game?

A well maintained C5 is a good bang for the buck sports car. I hope they all stay cheap so I can get another knock around car if I get bored.Heck I got back into vettes cause they were cheaper than a Camaro

If yours isnt hacked up in good shape youll get a little more than avg but if you think your coupe, FRC or whatever is worth a bundle cause its a certain color or 1 of XXX your delusional. Read an ad here a few weeks back, some guy was posting "future collectible" wanting that value now, gtfo

These are not collector cars, just cheap late model sports cars. Embrace it. THis hobby is supposed to be fun, if future value is that big a deal sell it or get counseling.

The woman that paid stupid $ for the C3 didnt do her research or had means, didnt care and bought on an emotional impulse.

Biggest problem for C5 fanboys down the road will be finding a C5z that isnt beat to death; the hacking some guys do here is downright comical.

If there are guys here who are selling, or can sell their cars for over market value, more power to them...I'm just saying I'm not going to be one of the ones paying over market value to get one...

Quick Reply: C5 prices going up?