C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:24 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by RC81
I always laugh at how butt hurt some people get in posts like this. If the C5 killed the new Mustang you wouldn't be hearing how it didn't count cause the two don't compare to each other! And I say this as a proud C5 owner. Heck many new sedans will take a C5 these day, auto evolution. Now lets compare the C7 to the new Mustang....Another story.
Exactly! I've read the same arguments on a mustang forum, and obvious everyone is bias to their brand. Don't get me wrong, I still think it took a long time for other cars to catch up, especially considering the C5 is an aging platform, and that's a testament to it's engineering!

Last edited by STALION; 03-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I think I would rather sell my car and walk everywhere than own a ten speed automatic.

Have you guys driven 7 speed auto's on the street? They're awful. Shift up shift down shift up shift down for absolutely no apparent reason. Maybe if you shifted it manually every gear it wouldn't be as annoying.
Because you have to be coordinated to drive a manual.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7ZO6
Would u prefer to be with sexy athletic girl who is fun and can keep up and got moves or body builder girl who is only good for lifting?

corvette vs Mustang
Speaking of that, mustangs are for girls, anyway.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

[QUOTE=Krystal;1595257356]No the GT is not aimed at Corvette........Corvette is no-where even close to in the "same league" as the GT. Ford's halo car is not accessible.......and it's no corvette fighter. It's a world class take on ANYTHING at any price sports car. Chevrolet and GM don't compete in this category. I honestly don't get the GT as an idea or platform. Ford's Halo car makes them no money to speak of and will be so very rarely seen I don't really understand it as a halo car....... Corvette brings a RACY IMAGE,it's accessible and seen in parking lots and on the roads all across the country.....Corvette as halo car actually works as a halo in that it up-scales the Chevrolet brand. The Ford GT could certainly do that if only they could build and sell more than a handful........yet it won't and can't with it's extremely limited production and too high price tag.

The corvette is no where near in the same league as the Ford GT? Did I understand that correctly?
Which Corvette are you talking about? You do know the Ford GT held the world record at VIR for about 2 seconds until the new ZR1 spent a day there and beat their time by over a full second, with an engineer driving none the less. So not sure where this "not in the same league" opinion is coming from. Was just curious.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (12-23-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:46 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=NotreOkc;1596815358]
Originally Posted by Krystal
No the GT is not aimed at Corvette........Corvette is no-where even close to in the "same league" as the GT. Ford's halo car is not accessible.......and it's no corvette fighter. It's a world class take on ANYTHING at any price sports car. Chevrolet and GM don't compete in this category. I honestly don't get the GT as an idea or platform. Ford's Halo car makes them no money to speak of and will be so very rarely seen I don't really understand it as a halo car....... Corvette brings a RACY IMAGE,it's accessible and seen in parking lots and on the roads all across the country.....Corvette as halo car actually works as a halo in that it up-scales the Chevrolet brand. The Ford GT could certainly do that if only they could build and sell more than a handful........yet it won't and can't with it's extremely limited production and too high price tag.

The corvette is no where near in the same league as the Ford GT? Did I understand that correctly?
Which Corvette are you talking about? You do know the Ford GT held the world record at VIR for about 2 seconds until the new ZR1 spent a day there and beat their time by over a full second, with an engineer driving none the less. So not sure where this "not in the same league" opinion is coming from. Was just curious.
Yea! Just like he said!
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

[QUOTE=o2bnkc;1596815503]
Originally Posted by NotreOkc

Yea! Just like he said!
Correct. The new ZR1 bests the GT at one third the price. Ford ruined it, IMO. Nothing says American heritage race car, like a twin-turboed Ecoboost.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

You guys do realize the Ford GT wasn't there to set any lap records. As it stands there isn't a head to head test yet, but can't wait to see what the stats for both will look like.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STALION
You guys do realize the Ford GT wasn't there to set any lap records. As it stands there isn't a head to head test yet, but can't wait to see what the stats for both will look like.
I'm sure the GT is the better car. It'll probably set some better times and establish itself this coming summer. Still, I hope the Vette isn't far behind. Pacing Ford's icon would earn it some major bragging rights.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

LOL< are you serious? What was it there to do? Drive parade laps??

It was there WITH a pro driver and it wasn't there to set their best possible time? It was...and it did... and it got smoked a week later by the ZR1. Don't make excuses for a 450K car.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

LOL< are you serious? What was it there to do? Drive parade laps??

It was there WITH a pro driver and it wasn't there to set their best possible time? It was...and it did... and it got smoked a week later by the ZR1. Don't make excuses for a 450K car.
Quoted Top Gear:
Ford showed its hand first, if a little unexpectedly. It simply arrived at the circuit with a pre-production GT to take part in some testing, with hot shoe Billy Johnson at the wheel. Without trying, Johnson beat the previous production car record of 2m 40.02s (held by the Dodge Viper ACR), sending the 638bhp, 216mph GT around VIR’s Grand Course layout in 2m 38.62s

Last edited by STALION; 03-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:16 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Quoted Top Gear:
Ford showed its hand first, if a little unexpectedly. It simply arrived at the circuit with a pre-production GT to take part in some testing, with hot shoe Billy Johnson at the wheel. Without trying, Johnson beat the previous production car record of 2m 40.02s (held by the Dodge Viper ACR), sending the 638bhp, 216mph GT around VIR’s Grand Course layout in 2m 38.62s
And you believe that? Without trying?

Ok, so the fact Chevy had an Engineer driving (and it was also a pre-production) they were not trying either. LOL
Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

And you believe that? Without trying?

Ok, so the fact Chevy had an Engineer driving (and it was also a pre-production) they were not trying either. LOL
I'm not quite sure what your beef is here, I'm just stating the facts. Neither company was going for records, this was testing, hence why I said in my original post that I couldn't wait to see both of them officially go head to head.

R&T quote:
Also, like Ford, Chevy claims it wasn't going for a record, rather the time was set during validation testing for the ZR1.

Last edited by STALION; 03-23-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not quite sure what your beef is here, I'm just stating the facts. Neither company was going for records, this was testing, hence why I said in my original post that I couldn't wait to see both of them officially go head to head.

R&T quote:
Also, like Ford, Chevy claims it wasn't going for a record, rather the time was set during validation testing for the ZR1.
No Beef sir. But if you believe both were "just testing" then I guess that is your belief.

I will say that Chevy had the upper hand in that Ford went first so they knew what the goal was. Just like you choose defense first in a college football OT game.

If Chevy had gone first you can bet your bottom dollar that Ford would be "just testing" the crap out of the GT to beat the record. LOL
Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

No Beef sir. But if you believe both were "just testing" then I guess that is your belief.

I will say that Chevy had the upper hand in that Ford went first so they knew what the goal was. Just like you choose defense first in a college football OT game.

If Chevy had gone first you can bet your bottom dollar that Ford would be "just testing" the crap out of the GT to beat the record. LOL
That's a moot argument seeing that Chevy and Ford were not there at the same time. I love both cars, and I don't doubt that the ZR1 is more then capable of either rivaling the Ford GT or surpassing it, I'm just happy to see them duke it out! I only hope that some sort of foreseen or un-foreseen issue doesn't creep up on the ZR1 production model, ex (poorly milled heads, cooling issues) if you know what I mean.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a moot argument seeing that Chevy and Ford were not there at the same time. I love both cars, and I don't doubt that the ZR1 is more then capable of either rivaling the Ford GT or surpassing it, I'm just happy to see them duke it out! I only hope that some sort of foreseen or un-foreseen issue doesn't creep up on the ZR1 production model, ex (poorly milled heads, cooling issues) if you know what I mean.
I do not see how it is a moot point. If they were there at the same time that would be ideal, and I assume that day is coming. But I seriously doubt the weather and wind was that different since they were there a week apart. The track did not change in a weeks time so their times are what they are.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

I do not see how it is a moot point. If they were there at the same time that would be ideal, and I assume that day is coming. But I seriously doubt the weather and wind was that different since they were there a week apart. The track did not change in a weeks time so their times are what they are.
Hope it comes sooner than later!

Last edited by STALION; 03-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NotreOkc (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

We all the best Corvette engine was the almighty LT-5. It made 405 HP back in the day, and the gen III motors made 475 HP in 96. If GM wouldn't have killed off that engine that is what would be in our Z06's today.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z

Old 03-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billy mild
We all the best Corvette engine was the almighty LT-5. It made 405 HP back in the day, and the gen III motors made 475 HP in 96. If GM wouldn't have killed off that engine that is what would be in our Z06's today.
Great engines, but I like the LS9.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:39 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This thread came up on a google of C5Z vs Mustang.
On my 2nd C5Z, video of my all stock C5Z chasing my buddy in his GT 350 at Laguna seca.
So performance is a lateral move in my mind.
I have dedicated race cars so neither the C5Z or GT would see track time.
I'd like to try a 10 speed auto GT.
For us a new Mustang seems a better GT for trips and my wife could drive the auto...
I'm the last guy at the track that wants an auto or a car with nannies, so very conflicted about selling the C5Z.
Today when I go out in the garage the C5Z styling still does it for me.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

"Have you guys driven 7 speed auto's on the street? They're awful."

Rubbish. My "other" car has an 8 speed auto, and it is spectacularly good. Never gets flustered and is very responsive to the throttle. And in spite of being a bit heavy, it's 300+ bhp gets it away from a stop extremely quickly due to the tranny. Quite honestly, I prefer driving it to the C5. It's at least as fast point to point in real world driving, and is extremely quiet and the seats are superb. Drove from the mid-Atlantic area to Canada is one shot (450 mile range/tank on the highway) earlier this year, and got out the other end totally relaxed with no aches or pains. No comparison as a real world driver.

Last edited by jackthelad; 12-21-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2018 Mustang GT goes 0-60 as fast as a C5Z