Sponsored by:

Parts are gettin' rare. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 05:53 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Parts are gettin' rare. :(

A work truck (think big, square, diamondplate bumper) backed into the C5, taking out the door and quarterpanel.

They were insured, and Hartford and the body shop are working to make it right...but they've bought and rejected three doors already and there just doesn't seem to be body panels available in or near Denver.

I see stuff on Ebay, and california craigslist, but I can't go making $300+ bets on parts that may arrive broken.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Try Marc at VetteNuts - a forum vendor or one of the other used parts vendors on the forum. I saw some posts from Northern Corvette that they were parting out at least three C5s.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Try Marc at VetteNuts - a forum vendor or one of the other used parts vendors on the forum. I saw some posts from Northern Corvette that they were parting out at least three C5s.
I've got an email into Marc, but it was after quittin' time Friday so I didn't honestly expect a call back yet.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

You might give Purifoy Chevrolet a call in Ft Lupton . The number three dealer for Corvettes in the country and number 1 in Colorado. They have their own body shop for Corvettes. They may be able to direct you to a source for the door you need.

http://www.purifoychevrolet.com/Our-History
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Yeah, called them. Their bodyshop got spun off some time in the past (the same guys that worked on Vettes for Purifoy still worked there.) The guy that would know is on vacation til Tuesday.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

When I had to have my car's door replaced in '14 my body shop went through a total of four doors before they finally got one that was satisfactory. The issue that is discussed frequently on the forum is that the SMC door shell often suffers from stress cracks that you can't readily see when the door is assembled and hung on the car. When you do pull a door off it often has issues with the backing plates and will likely being to sag.

C5 doors are the one used body part that indeed "knows mileage".

The doors themselves were discontinued some years back and OEM parts were exhausted. I believe the only parts that still have OEM replacement stock left is the front fenders and the front & rear fascias (bumpers). It's likely because these parts were so often replaced as to why so many replacements exist.

EDIT: I want to say that the door they finally got in that was satisfactory was shipped from a salvage in Portland all the way to Arkansas. My body shop literally pulled out all the stops trying to find something that worked and ate the cost every time they got something unsatisfactory.

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 08-05-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 PM
jd2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a complete passenger side door, except for the inside panel, that is in very good condition. It would be heavy to ship but it might be worth it. I'm asking $350 for the complete door. Email me at jd2@fuse.net if you are interested. I live just North of Cincinnati, Ohio. JD
Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 AM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jd2
I have a complete passenger side door, except for the inside panel, that is in very good condition. It would be heavy to ship but it might be worth it. I'm asking $350 for the complete door. Email me at jd2@fuse.net if you are interested. I live just North of Cincinnati, Ohio. JD
Let me get with the body shop and discuss. They may be reluctant to do so as they’re on the hook for warrantying the work. Shipping wouldn’t be an issue as it’s not on my dime. but we’d want to make sure it got here okay.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketSled
A work truck (think big, square, diamondplate bumper) backed into the C5, taking out the door and quarterpanel.

They were insured, and Hartford and the body shop are working to make it right...but they've bought and rejected three doors already and there just doesn't seem to be body panels available in or near Denver.

I see stuff on Ebay, and california craigslist, but I can't go making $300+ bets on parts that may arrive broken.

Any suggestions?
They're using supplements. "Used" parts from some vendor of theirs. That's what your insurance told them to use based on coverage.
The following users liked this post:
lebeeby (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

I think they were more using a “reputable company” that would take the parts back if they weren’t as represented. They have limited recourse otherwise and don’t want to end up spending a ton of money on broken SMC. I kinda see where they’re coming from.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 AM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

I wanted to circle back, Mark at VetteNuts was helpful, but the dealership found a local door (#5) that was acceptable.

Name:  MeuU0pC.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  833.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
mfrnka (08-26-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Do you have any buddies going to Carlisle? Last year I saw piles of door skins and rear quarters - I bought one - painted in my color (pewter) and it was a "bolt-and-buff" job.

Get notified of new replies

To Parts are gettin' rare. :(

Quick Reply: Parts are gettin' rare. :(