Sponsored by:

Corsa xtreme+cam=too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Corsa xtreme+cam=too loud?

I purchased a corsa xtreme cat back before I had anything done to my 99 corvette. Without anything done to it I would describe the xtreme as definitely louder than stock but nowhere near obnoxious or too loud when idling or under light acceleration.

Now fast forward to installing a cam and long tubes with cats. I feel like this could possibly be just over the line of too loud. This is the first cammed car I've had and YouTube videos of this setup just don't do it justice of the level of volume. You can get a good idea of tone, but you have to hear this in person to really assess volume.

I did some decibel testing just to see where it is in relation to town ordinances. At the back of the car at idle in dbc it is registering 95 decibels. Cruising around inside it is around 88-90. At wide open throttle taking the car up to 5k or so Rpms it is nothing to hit 100 decibels on the inside. On the outside taken from 25 feet away at idle it is right at 84 decibels (this is how the town would read it). My town will ticket for anything over 83 supposedly. I don't know if they measure in dba though, which never leaves the 70-low 80 range with this exhaust.

Has anyone had this setup before with a cam and xtreme fatback and decided to do something to calm it down? I was considering going to corsa touring or sport mufflers but I honestly don't know if it would make enough of a difference to justify spending $1k+ again. I love the tone of the car with corsa and don't want to lose that, but at the same time I would be good with toning it down a notch.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:15 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you given some thought to Z06 Ti's?

The Xtremes and the Ti's have a very similar tone, just a significant volume difference. I have Ti's on my car, and before the cam I was debating replacing them with Corsa Xtremes. But after the cam, I'm pretty happy. Just the right amount of volume for me. It's not crazy, and nowhere near as crazy as xtremes...which is what I want. You wouldn't have to worry about noise complaints/tickets and you should be able to find a set for under $500.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Honestly I hadn't given them a thought. I read things here and there about them but don't know too much. Do you have a video of your car somewhere that I could hear?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Not my car, but this is the same cam I have (BTR Stage 2) and stock Ti mufflers...

Old 08-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Yeah, those do have the same tone I'm looking for. I guess some people describe them as "raspy"? But that's what I like. i know it's different for everyone but how would you describe the highway/cruising drone with those?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I hear ya. Sounds like we have similar taste in exhaust sound. There is zero drone at highway/cruising. Just a very slight rumble. Keep in mind, these are quite a bit quieter in all aspects.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

I think I may try to find a set of these. Every video I hear of corsa sports with a cam sounds like it is as loud as my xtremes, or at least not enough of a difference for the price tag. These TI's would be a cheaper alternative and if I didn't like them I could just turn around and sale them again. Seems to be a lot of interest in them. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:37 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

You really can't go wrong. If you buy them and don't like them, I'm sure you can sell them for what you paid. That's how I ended up with mine, and they ended up being perfect for me.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have the xtremes with longtubes and cam and it is probably going to be too much for you if you're so worried that you're getting a decibel meter out to check... what I find strange is that you measured higher levels in the car than on the outside, my car is the opposite... when I had stock manifolds it was pretty quiet inside and after the longtubes/cam it is louder than before obviously but on the outside it is A LOT louder... it's not very loud until you get around 2500rpm+ and then it really starts to open up... I love the way mine sounds and have no desire to change it but it isn't suited for everyone and on the plus side you should have no problems selling your xtremes if you decide to go a different route

Last edited by neutron82; 08-20-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neutron82
I have the xtremes with longtubes and cam and it is probably going to be too much for you if you're so worried that you're getting a decibel meter out to check... what I find strange is that you measured higher levels in the car than on the outside, my car is the opposite... when I had stock manifolds it was pretty quiet inside and after the longtubes/cam it is louder than before obviously but on the outside it is A LOT louder... it's not very loud until you get around 2500rpm+ and then it really starts to open up... I love the way mine sounds and have no desire to change it but it isn't suited for everyone and on the plus side you should have no problems selling your xtremes if you decide to go a different route
sorry... I didn't mention in the original post, but I do have American racing headers 1 7/8 with high flow cats.

It is measuring louder on the outside outside than the inside. I think what you're referring to is my measurement 25 feet away. Outside directly behind the car is about 5-7 decibels louder than inside.

The measurement I'm taking is also in dbc which I believe moreso measures the "bassiness" of the exhaust if that makes sense.

Im right there with you on it seeming to stay pretty tame under 2500 rpms. I did notice the idle reads louder at idle than it does at cruise or light acceleration. Once again I belive this is due to dbc measuring the bass output of the exhaust.

I figure maybe I could get $800 or so for the corsa xtreme if I do decide to sell them. I'm going to give it a week or so and see how i feel about them. Luckily it's not my daily driver, so it's not a fix it right now type of thing.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:20 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I had LG superpros, high flow cats, medium sized cam and corsa sports on my C5 and thought that it was entirely too loud. I was looking into swapping to the corsa touring before I traded to a C6.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myredhead1
I had LG superpros, high flow cats, medium sized cam and corsa sports on my C5 and thought that it was entirely too loud. I was looking into swapping to the corsa touring before I traded to a C6.
Thanks for your input. It's good to hear from someone that had the sports on their car. Every video I find online of the sports with a cam and headers sounds just like my setup with the xtremes. I guess that is going to narrow my options down to the touring mufflers or the z06 TI. Unfortunately it looks like corsa doesn't make the touring anymore so I would have to find those off someone that doesn't want them anymore.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Had the extremes on stock and loved it especially the look 4" tips, did cam, headers, 383 stroker and supercharger = way too loud for me. I looked around in the FI section and found many comments about the same thing. The most often recommended is the TI's, lots of cars pushing out 5,6,7 hundred hp through them and more. I put them on and other than looks, I love them.

Good luck
Old 08-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Had the extremes on stock and loved it especially the look 4" tips, did cam, headers, 383 stroker and supercharger = way too loud for me. I looked around in the FI section and found many comments about the same thing. The most often recommended is the TI's, lots of cars pushing out 5,6,7 hundred hp through them and more. I put them on and other than looks, I love them.

Good luck
i think that's what I'd hate to part with the most... the 4" tips.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I love my cammed 427 with Corsa Xtreme, but it is quite loud on the outside. Not SLP-loudmouth or straight piped 5.0 Mustang loud... it's a very nice and refined sound... but it is loud, especially above 3500rpm. However, on the inside, the volume is not bad and still little to no drone. With the windows closed and the a/c on, my fiancee and I can have a normal conversation at 75mph on the highway. I drive the car to work typically once or twice a week (70 mile round trip of mixed driving) and have no issues with the noise, but judging what is "too loud" is xtremely subjective.

Last edited by BillY2KFRC; 08-21-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I love my cammed 427 with Corsa Xtreme, but it is quite loud on the outside. Not SLP-loudmouth or straight piped 5.0 Mustang loud... it's a very nice and refined sound... but it is loud, especially above 3500rpm. However, on the inside, the volume is not bad and still little to no drone. With the windows closed and the a/c on, my fiancee and I can have a normal conversation at 75mph on the highway. I drive the car to work typically once or twice a week (70 mile round trip of mixed driving) and have no issues with the noise, but judging what is "too loud" is xtremely subjective.

Your car sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing that.

The more I research it the more I'm starting to realize that what I am referring to is drone on the inside of the cabin.

I've never really had a drone issue on any of my cars. My daily driver is a '14 ram 1500 with corsa exhaust and it sounds amazing but whisper quiet on the inside when cruising. Before either of these cars I had a '13 camaro ss with NPP exhaust and headers. The NPP was quiet with valves closed but I could hear a bit of drone with them open. Luckily the mild2wild solved that easily.

I think realistically I'm good with the volume and tone, but I would just like to be able to reduce the resonance on the inside. Maybe this is just the territory with a cam and higher idle. But I'm going to be looking into the z06 TI and corsa touring if I can find a set.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa xtreme+cam=too loud?

Quick Reply: Corsa xtreme+cam=too loud?