Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
I'd suggest just buying a matching wheel- you can find them on Craig's list or put an ad up in the Parts section of this forum.

If the gold wheel is stamped "magnesium" you can probably sell that, but one to match your set and put money back in your pocket.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Honestly I would probably just have them all professionally powdercoated, especially as they're OEM pull-offs which are much stronger then repros. From the close up of the 50th anniv. wheel there is some minor pitting in spots and I'd imagine the others have similar issue due to their age and use. A good powdercoat will help cover up those blemishes while adding a layer of protection. Remember you can get powdercoat in pretty much any color so you could do them all in silver - if that's what you want - and they'd look fairly new. Personally I think you'd be pleased with the results if you're willing to invest the money.

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Could be worse... they could all be painted black.
That's how they should look; best color. //end thread
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Yeah, but also... you could make his *** pay (legally) or just roll over.

Simply saying what I'd do, which is a lot less severe now that I'm older by a bit. The thief wouldn't get off Scott-free though, believe that.

"Buyer Beware". He had the chance to inspect closer but chose not to. The seller didn't hold a gun to his head. The OP knows it's all on him and he's not making excuses, kudos for that.

At least they aren't chrome............

Shakey
Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Under the circumstances described, covered in dust an not in the light, offered by an enthusiast that knows what he had... argued before a judge, he has quite the case.
He has no case, period. The wheels belong to him, now.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,223 Likes on 779 Posts

Vin67, no one likes to be taken purposely. In 74 years, it has happened to me several times even though I thought I vetted the issue completely. You are handling it right by learning from that experience and moving on. And like you, I do believe in Karma. Thankfully, not all people are like this person.
The following users liked this post:
vin67 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
At least they aren't chrome............
Better than some flat faced skinny kid looking dork set I see on some cars, kinda like the ones you have.......
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Better than some flat faced skinny kid looking dork set I see on some cars, kinda like the ones you have.......

Not gonna spin me up. I like 'em.....

Shakey
Old 09-14-2017, 02:01 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

I think the universe (or God) is telling you that you need to paint all 4 to match the color of your Corvette.

If I had those, and on close, detailed inspection I found no other issues, I'd do that.

If you're going to pay a body shop to mix paint and spray them, definitely get all 4 repainted. Even if you "match" one of the colors you have now. But I kind of like wheels that match the paint on the car.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I think the universe (or God) is telling you that you need to paint all 4 to match the color of your Corvette.

If I had those, and on close, detailed inspection I found no other issues, I'd do that.

If you're going to pay a body shop to mix paint and spray them, definitely get all 4 repainted. Even if you "match" one of the colors you have now. But I kind of like wheels that match the paint on the car.

For a minute there, I thought you were serious....

Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For a minute there, I thought you were serious....

Aw come on, you wouldn't rock this look?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

2003 50th AE rim, yep
Old 09-14-2017, 05:03 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Not gonna spin me up. I like 'em.....

Shakey
Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Scothbrite them, tape them up and spray with some DupliColor wheel paint and clearcoat them. Quick and easy fix and a variety of colors to choose from.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:50 PM
mike48750
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Kinda curious as to how much you paid for these wheels? You said he had a Buick project with a Corvette suspension, maybe he assembled the set, one wheel at a time, for that project and then changed his mind? Did he ever tell you they were ready to install on a car? I would not look at him as dishonest or a thief, but he certainly was not forth coming with what he had to of known. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings " never pass up a good chance to shut up". I vote for making lemonade out of lemons. Mike
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Leader One
Scothbrite them, tape them up and spray with some DupliColor wheel paint and clearcoat them. Quick and easy fix and a variety of colors to choose from.
That's what I would do.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:13 PM
vin67
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike48750
Kinda curious as to how much you paid for these wheels? You said he had a Buick project with a Corvette suspension, maybe he assembled the set, one wheel at a time, for that project and then changed his mind? Did he ever tell you they were ready to install on a car? I would not look at him as dishonest or a thief, but he certainly was not forth coming with what he had to of known. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings " never pass up a good chance to shut up". I vote for making lemonade out of lemons. Mike
He told me he bought the wheel set originally to put on the project buick, changed his mind and put a different set. Yes he said the wheel set were ready mount (tires balanced and everything). Yeah maybe I hold and expect others to be upfront, honest and forth coming as I am, if it was some young kid try to be slick or doing a fast one, maybe I would understand better but this is someone in his 60/70's, multi muscle car enthusiast, in the used parts trade and he didn't know? But nevertheless i was just venting and yes it'll turn lemons to lemonade. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Plastidip?

Get notified of new replies

To Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(

Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vin67
He told me he bought the wheel set originally to put on the project buick, changed his mind and put a different set. Yes he said the wheel set were ready mount (tires balanced and everything). Yeah maybe I hold and expect others to be upfront, honest and forth coming as I am, if it was some young kid try to be slick or doing a fast one, maybe I would understand better but this is someone in his 60/70's, multi muscle car enthusiast, in the used parts trade and he didn't know? But nevertheless i was just venting and yes it'll turn lemons to lemonade. Thank you.
Since he never installed the wheels, it is possible he never looked at them closely side by side and compared the colors. He truly might not have known one wheel was a different color. Of course, on the other hand it might be the reason he did not put then on his project car.

Either way, there are fixes, some cheap some not. Best to move on and make the best of it.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,967 Likes on 946 Posts

I agree the burden is on the buyer - no question, especially since you went there, and bought them (meaning the transaction was not conducted via mail)... but I will say that you should go back to his house over the weekend, bring both a silver and tinted wheel to show him the difference.

If he's an honest guy, he may offer some cash back or offer a refund.

Go there with a respectful attitude, and ask him politely what he thinks would be fair... Ya never know...he may surprise you.

If he does nothing for you, then leave with your dignity intact and I would go the route of selling the one rim cause those rims are all over CL all the time.

Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mayor111
I agree the burden is on the buyer - no question, especially since you went there, and bought them (meaning the transaction was not conducted via mail)... but I will say that you should go back to his house over the weekend, bring both a silver and tinted wheel to show him the difference.

If he's an honest guy, he may offer some cash back or offer a refund.

Go there with a respectful attitude, and ask him politely what he thinks would be fair... Ya never know...he may surprise you.

If he does nothing for you, then leave with your dignity intact and I would go the route of selling the one rim cause those rims are all over CL all the time.

Good Luck!
Not a bad idea, but you may want to politely call him first so it does not appear so confrontational. Might save you a trip, too.

Quick Reply: Someone "Pass the buck" onto me over C5 wheel set :-(