Sponsored by:

Wide Fenders and Welds

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Scotty_Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wide Fenders and Welds

Ladies and Gents, currently deployed and trying to order some new wheels/tires here within the week and needed some help. Internet is slow as molasses most days so searching and searching can be a pain.

Anyways, I've got an 02 c5z and just recently purchased some two inch wide fenders for the rear. Here's my question, I am planning on running some Weld S71's and was curious if those that have them with the wide fenders are running the C6Z backspacing, pad, and offset and regular C5 up front? I'm looking at going 18x11 out back and 18x9.5 up front.

I contacted Weld directly and they referred me to Carlyle Racing. Haven't heard back from them. I've also contacted a few others that offer them and they either didn't feel comfortable giving me the size I need in fear that it would be incorrect or they just never replied.

Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:21 PM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty_Z06
Ladies and Gents, currently deployed and trying to order some new wheels/tires here within the week and needed some help. Internet is slow as molasses most days so searching and searching can be a pain.

Anyways, I've got an 02 c5z and just recently purchased some two inch wide fenders for the rear. Here's my question, I am planning on running some Weld S71's and was curious if those that have them with the wide fenders are running the C6Z backspacing, pad, and offset and regular C5 up front? I'm looking at going 18x11 out back and 18x9.5 up front.

I contacted Weld directly and they referred me to Carlyle Racing. Haven't heard back from them. I've also contacted a few others that offer them and they either didn't feel comfortable giving me the size I need in fear that it would be incorrect or they just never replied.

Thanks in advance for any help. Much appreciated.
I have TPE 2" flared quarters on mine. I'm using factory C6 Z06 wheels and needed a 5/8" spacer for them to fit correctly. I used to have the overall backspacing information somewhere, but I've lost it. Either way, you can do the math from here.

In the fronts, I think factory specs with a slightly bigger wheel would be fine. I'll be going back to that when I get my next set of wheels.

Edit: Actually, I just did the math and I think a 19x12" with a +43mm offset will fit perfectly for my car. I would think yours will be similar, the 11" wheels will require about +30mm offset to get the outside of the wheel to sit in about the right place. In the front, 18x9.5" +54mm should do the trick. If you're going with the quarters anyway, I'd step up to the 12" wheels; but you can do what you want with your car. This is free advice, and it is worth at least that much.

Last edited by T A WS6 M6; 09-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6
I have TPE 2" flared quarters on mine. I'm using factory C6 Z06 wheels and needed a 5/8" spacer for them to fit correctly. I used to have the overall backspacing information somewhere, but I've lost it. Either way, you can do the math from here.

In the fronts, I think factory specs with a slightly bigger wheel would be fine. I'll be going back to that when I get my next set of wheels.

Edit: Actually, I just did the math and I think a 19x12" with a +43mm offset will fit perfectly for my car. I would think yours will be similar, the 11" wheels will require about +30mm offset to get the outside of the wheel to sit in about the right place. In the front, 18x9.5" +54mm should do the trick. If you're going with the quarters anyway, I'd step up to the 12" wheels; but you can do what you want with your car. This is free advice, and it is worth at least that much.
I would appreciate information on or a link to the math you use for backspacing based upon wheel size. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 PM
T A WS6 M6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99
I would appreciate information on or a link to the math you use for backspacing based upon wheel size. Thank you.
http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/

Here's a link to a calculator with handy Corvette wheel sizes right on the page.

The math is just addition and subtraction with the occasional division. Offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel barrel. An offset of 0mm would put the mounting face in the exact center of the wheel (i.e. for a 12" wheel with an offset of 0mm, the wheel would extend 6" in and out from the mounting face). Positive offset puts the mounting face closer to the face of the wheel resulting in the wheel tucking further into the wheel well. Negative pushes the wheel further out.

To determine the ideal offset for my wheels, I took the base C6 Z06 wheel that I'm using (19x12" +59mm) and adjusted for the 5/8" (15.875mm) spacer that I am using. The spacer moves the mounting point ~16mms closer to the center of the wheel, thereby subtracting from the offset; resulting in a 19x12" +43mm wheel.

To come up with a number for Scotty_Z06, I assumed that he would be more interested in the outside of the wheel sitting in the same place as mine relative to the fender than anything else. The wheel is 1" (25.4mm) narrower, which is evenly divided on either side of the mounting face. 25.4/2=12.7 (~13mm) which needs to be subtracted from the offset to push the wheel back out to the same outside position that mine is in plus or minus less than a millimeter.
The following users liked this post:
Route99 (10-02-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 AM
darkling
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

couple companys will do any offset you want ccw forgeline and b-forged.

Get notified of new replies

To Wide Fenders and Welds

Quick Reply: Wide Fenders and Welds