Sponsored by:

blow dryer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:54 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
You obviously have no experience with a California duster or have been using it wrong.
My car looks better than the day I bought it, it gets compliments at car shows all the time and I have washed it only once in the last 5 years.
If you are speaking of washing like using soap and a bucket, or going to a car wash, in the fifty five years I have owned vehicles, they were never washed.

With a good coat of wax, vehicles should never need soap and water, just hose down and dry properly.
You are correct in your assessment of my use of the california duster.

Never have used it, and never will,
I cherish the finish on my vehicles, and would never be so careless as to grind contaminants into the finish, which is exactly what that duster does, even if you don't believe that.
Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 09-25-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
Using a california duster on any vehicle finish is sure to grind dirt particles into the finish.
I have not used a California Duster in years, it will leave fine scratches (depending on what the dust is comprised of).

Using the right waterless product (like Chadwick's) with the right microfiber and the recommended techniques, will not leave any visible scratches if done properly. I have done it almost every day on my black C5 for years now and it has no visible scratches or swirls. Once a year I do a full detail with an RO. However, if I were to get something like "mud" on the car, I would wash it first.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:59 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

If you are speaking of washing like using soap and a bucket, or going to a car wash, in the fifty five years I have owned vehicles, they were never washed.

With a good coat of wax, vehicles should never need soap and water, just hose down and dry properly.

Bob.
Don't worry. Those swirl marks will buff out. Water alone will not remove anything but loose dust.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 PM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have not used a California Duster in years, it will leave fine scratches (depending on what the dust is comprised of).

Using the right waterless product (like Chadwick's) with the right microfiber and the recommended techniques, will not leave any visible scratches if done properly. I have done it almost every day on my black C5 for years now and it has no visible scratches or swirls. Once a year I do a full detail with an RO. However, if I were to get something like "mud" on the car, I would wash it first.

Absolutely beautiful car.

Bob.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 PM
calguy
Drifting

Don't worry. Those swirl marks will buff out. Water alone will not remove anything but loose dust.
Swirl marks are one thing no one will ever see on my vehicles, and that includes my 15 year old pickup.

Both the Vette, and Dakota look better than they did when brand new.

Bob.
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Swirl marks are one thing no one will ever see on my vehicles, and that includes my 15 year old pickup.

Both the Vette, and Dakota look better than they did when brand new.

Bob.
Get yourself a swirl light and you will probably be shocked.
http://www.autogeek.net/flex-swirl-finder-light.html
Old 09-25-2017, 07:24 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of good ideas. I really am not concerned with the Vette, its easy. Its my big ol Ram truck, and my wifes Ford Flex, and my daughters Challenger that are more involved ( more surface to deal with). I get tired of hand drying them and was looking for an easier option, and will probably have the wife get me a blaster for my birthday, so I can dry her Flex. The car washes just do a lousy job of cleaning the front and rears ends, and it always seems like I am washing the cars with dirty water?
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

You obviously have no experience with a California duster or have been using it wrong.
My car is a driver, it looks better than the day I bought it, it gets compliments at car shows all the time and I have washed it only once in the last 5 years.

Does this look like a car that needs "water" to be clean...? I dont think so... Im not saying your car doesn't look clean...but dont say you NEED water to get a car clean...cause its just not true at all with the introduction of better and better cleaning products.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

I cherish the finish on my vehicles, and would never be so careless as to grind contaminants into the finish, which is exactly what that duster does, even if you don't believe that.
Bob.
Im not picking on you, but if you "cherish" your finish, washing or watering and drying your car does more damage to your paint than any (high quality) duster. The sponges are much more abrasive on your paint than a duster...as are most of the drying towels out there. Again, how you use a duster will also depend on if it damages your paint...just a light glide over a nicely waterless washed / waxed car - and you wont do any damage...none at all.

We can agree to disagree - Im cool with that...

Last edited by Mayor111; 09-25-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:38 PM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mayor111

Does this look like a car that needs "water" to be clean...? I dont think so... Im not saying your car doesn't look clean...but dont say you NEED water to get a car clean...cause its just not true at all with the introduction of better and better cleaning products.

I am not saying that a water less cleaner doesn't get the vehicle clean.

What I am saying is, using anything on a vehicle before dust or other contaminants are removed, is going to cause scratches, and swirl marks on the finish.

Not removing dust and dirt particles prior to rubbing the finish with whatever product, is going to create unwanted marks on the finish.
I would never even take a soft micro fiber towel to the finish, until I remove surface crap first by hosing it down.

Bob.

Last edited by calguy; 09-25-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't live where there are rocks in the air.

I'd NEVER blow heated air at my Corvette

Nothing compares to a high power, high quality leaf blower, like Stihl. Nothing!!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

This is what I've been using for the past 12+ years.

Blows my 3 piece polished non-cleared HRE rims completely dry in seconds, the bolt heads and all, never have to touch them and no water spots. Blows the taillights, emblems, door handles, mirrors and 95% of the body panels dry in minutes. Wipe off the remaining water with an absorber and never leaves water spots on my black paint. The latest Craftsman electric plug in leaf blower is rated at 240mph.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

I'll admit that I didn't read this thread super thoroughly, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

I use a waterless wash when the car is not very dirty. Just dusty. I use Poorboys Spray and wipe with very soft microfibers. Any time you touch a car-waterless or not, you are potentially scratching the finish. I am fully aware of this. If I need to polish it, I do so.

When I do a full regular wash, when drying I use The Absorber in one hand with a Master Blaster Sidekick in the other. This allows me to dry really well, and get the water out of the cracks with no water spots.

When I can, I am a BIG fan of waterless washes, because that way I can avoid water spots.

What some of you are not thinking about is the fact that your local climate can dictate what works for you. What works in one region, might not work in another. Some areas have more dust or pollen, some may have sand storms or heavy dust and large bugs.

I am not one to toot my own horn so to speak but we have had a record dry summer here-I have not done a regular wash on my vette, and only used waterless washes for 2-3 months straight right now and won 2 trophies at shows, one of which was judged, one was peoples choice.

Do what works for you. Maybe try a couple different methods.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider2002
I got one of these filters for my garden hose and it makes washing my 5 cars much easier with no ( or very little ) water spots. The Vette rarely sees water of any kind-rain or wash asI have been using Maguire's waterless wash & wax for quite a while now w/great results. Just a quick wipe with a soft shammy does the trick after washing.
Click the "spot-free car wash" link for some good info.

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/garden-hose-filters

I also have a Jet-blaster that I used w/my Harley(which I recently sold but don't seem to need it when using this filter.
Which filter combination do you use in the link provided?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 AM
calguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Im not picking on you, but if you "cherish" your finish, washing or watering and drying your car does more damage to your paint than any (high quality) duster. The sponges are much more abrasive on your paint than a duster...as are most of the drying towels out there. Again, how you use a duster will also depend on if it damages your paint...just a light glide over a nicely waterless washed / waxed car - and you wont do any damage...none at all.

We can agree to disagree - Im cool with that...
I never wash my vehicles.
I don't have too.
They have enough wax on them that hosing them down is all I need.
I never need to use a sponge(not that I would) or anything other than clear water out of the hose.
On the rare occasion that I need to wash the convertible top, I use a mild mix of simple green and warm water, then rinse the hell out of it when washed.

Bob.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I use a simple electric toro leaf blower to push the majority of water off the car then go over it w an "Absorber" chamois type rag. I am interested in waterless and am going to research that more.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Waterless is great, unless you drive your car. If you have a Suburban to drive in the winter.........maybe it would work. Never here in the Northwest.

Get notified of new replies

To blow dryer

Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE=JR-01;1595639904]I have been using waterless wash products including Chadwicks and now Meguiers for the last 20 years. When I get dust on it I go ever it lightly with a California duster and then use Meguiers Waterless wash and wax. My C5 looks better now than when I bought it. I had been washing my show cars for 20 years before I learned about waterless wash products at a car show from guys using it on their $200K show cars.. Almost everyone that switches to waterless products do not go back to soap and water. The ones that do probably aren't following instructions. Personally I don't care if you believe me or not and you hose down your car everyday. That's up to you. I get the same results with less effort in a lot less time.

What is the difference between the Waterless products and the Details sprays?

Last edited by 64Corvette; 09-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=64Corvette;1595647102]

What is the difference between the Waterless products and the Details sprays?
The Detailer is for:
  • Safely removes dust and surface contaminants in-between washing.
  • Hydrophobic Polymer Technology darkens finish, adds protection & water beading.
  • STEP #5 (MAINTAIN) of the steps in Car Care by Meguiars
The Wash & Wax is for:
  • Safely cleans more dirt than a spray detailer, while leaving hydrophobic wax protection!
  • STEP #1 (WASH) and STEP #4 (WAX) of the steps in Car Care by Meguiars
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been using waterless wash products including Chadwicks and now Meguiers for the last 20 years. When I get dust on it I go ever it lightly with a California duster and then use Meguiers Waterless wash and wax. My C5 looks better now than when I bought it. I had been washing my show cars for 20 years before I learned about waterless wash products at a car show from guys using it on their $200K show cars.. Almost everyone that switches to waterless products do not go back to soap and water. The ones that do probably aren't following instructions. Personally I don't care if you believe me or not and you hose down your car everyday. That's up to you. I get the same results with less effort in a lot less time.

I really like Chadwicks. Use it everywhere, outside and inside. So do you think Meguiers is better? I'm sure it's a little cheaper. I know Chadwicks says their product only has a 6 month shelf life.

Quick Reply: blow dryer