Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] For Those Who Have Asked - Can the Stock Seat Be Lowered - Yes, but ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:11 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default For Those Who Have Asked - Can the Stock Seat Be Lowered - Yes, but ...

I get periodic requests asking if there is any way to lower the stock C5 or C6 seat. I took a bottom frame and placed it above our ultra-low seat bracket. It appears that if you don't mind losing the sliders you could bolt the seat directly to them and gain at least 1" of headroom. I compared the height to the C6 manual sliders I have and the frame was sitting 1.5" lower.

On the bottom frame I have the plastic part of the mechanism that adjusts the seat back angle protrudes 1/2" down below the bottom of the frame.

I added a 1/2" of shims between the frame and our bracket.

You would need to confirm your legroom would be adequate if the seat is positioned in front of the rear floor studs so you can still tighten the nuts down. It would be near impossible to get to them if the seat was above them.

This has never been done yet and I have no input as to what else may be impacted by doing this. This is simply to show that mechanically it is possible, since some people appear desperate for more headroom but want to keep the stock seats. The bracket below is the one I used. I would recommend using grade 8 button head cap screws coming up from the bottom with nuts on the top, since the bracket is already on the carpet in the rear.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBR-UL
The following 2 users liked this post by marrad:
jimijam (01-26-2019), russ_mill (03-27-2019)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:18 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this post is a bit old, but did anyone ever end up trying this?

I'm desperate to gain some headroom in my 02 Z06. Eventually I hope to put in an aftermarket seat. But for now, anything that can lower the factory seat and make me less miserable in a helmet would be worth doing.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by LymanSS; 06-16-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:27 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Looking at this a little more closely, I wonder if it'd work ok to cut a notch in the left rail to accommodate the seat recline mechanism, rather than using those half inch spacers. That'd get the seat right down onto the rail. It might compromise strength slightly, but it wouldn't be hard to weld a reinforcement in there. Also, the left side doesn't carry the load of any seatbelt mounting points (except the sub bar if used) so it wouldn't really compromise safety. That seems like it might get the full 1.5" drop, or more.

Scott

Last edited by LymanSS; 06-17-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LymanSS
I know this post is a bit old, but did anyone ever end up trying this?

Scott
Not to my knowledge, and I haven't been encouraging anyone to. I had people asking if it were possible and simply showed what I found out. I won't be modifying any parts to do this.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the response. That's helpful to know.
I'm definitely going to give this a try. I'm not sure yet if I'll try using the spacers as in the photos you posted, or if I'll try to cut a notch for the recliner and weld in reinforcements. Either way, I'll let folks know how it goes. For those of us whose heads touch the ceiling, this is a pretty significant safety modification.

Scott

Originally Posted by marrad
Not to my knowledge, and I haven't been encouraging anyone to. I had people asking if it were possible and simply showed what I found out. I won't be modifying any parts to do this.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 PM
russ_mill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LymanSS
Thanks for the response. That's helpful to know.
I'm definitely going to give this a try. I'm not sure yet if I'll try using the spacers as in the photos you posted, or if I'll try to cut a notch for the recliner and weld in reinforcements. Either way, I'll let folks know how it goes. For those of us whose heads touch the ceiling, this is a pretty significant safety modification.

Scott
Did you end up trying this?
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Your best bet is to try and contact LymanSS by PM or e-mail for an update from him. He hasn't had any activity on the forum for a few months.

Get notified of new replies

To For Those Who Have Asked - Can the Stock Seat Be Lowered - Yes, but ...

Quick Reply: [Z06] For Those Who Have Asked - Can the Stock Seat Be Lowered - Yes, but ...