I lost my only key :( !

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:20 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Just how would he know which of the 15 possible keys for a C5 to order???

not sure about the chart you provided...but I have bought keys from ebay and an independent lock smith before to save a trip to the dealership and it was fine.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:38 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
not sure about the chart you provided...but I have bought keys from ebay and an independent lock smith before to save a trip to the dealership and it was fine.
Would you mind looking on ebay and providing me a link to such a blank key? Unlikely you'll find one for a C5. Of course, the locksmith will have the correct blank, but unless you know what you're buying off ebay, you've a 1 in 15 chance of getting the correct key. Otherwise, you'll be SOL. Please provide a link. Just for funnies, I looked them up myself. Each one says VAT 1 or VAT 2, etc. So you MUST know which one to buy first. If you do, then you're OK. But just a random blank key for a C5 is probably not going to work. In our case here, where the OP does NOT know which one he had, he's only got two options, dealer or locksmith.

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:06 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

They are all over eBay, if you know the VAT#.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by Phanni
Why would anyone have only one key for any car?
I mean seriously, do a bit of thinking ahead.
The dealership can use your VIN to cut new key with correct pellet.
Your posting was not necessary. Very rude, added nothing to the thread. Do you get paid for postings???
Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
What do I do? I'm screwed... car locked in garage, key no where to be found... what do I do? 2000 C5 FRC. How much a dealership and can they even do something about i. What do they need? VIN? Ownership I guess? I need help I am an idiot I should have made a copy
After reading all the posts, do yourself a favor and go to the dealer. Ask the parts mgr for a discount. Some of the members are hi-tech and it can get confusing. I made friends with the local dealer service and parts managers and vette tech. Always get discounts on every thing.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:29 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How can someone have only one key? Easy - the car came with only one, and you're the only one that drives it. Kinda feels stupid to have two keys when you're the only one driving it. I had a second key cut for mine even though I am strictly the only driver for this reason. Didn't want to risk locking my keys in the car or trunk at any point.

I had the dealer do it, because the last time I did the "ahh just use this cheap stuff" from elsewhere, it stopped working. Dealer charged I think $50-60 for the key + cutting. Key was $30 and I think cutting was $20 or 30.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

I remember buying my C4 years ago from a dealership and it only had one key. I made sure the sales rep threw in a free spare key as part of the deal. Can't take the chance of losing the only key you have and not have a backup.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
metalmech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
What do I do? I'm screwed... car locked in garage, key no where to be found... what do I do? 2000 C5 FRC. How much a dealership and can they even do something about i. What do they need? VIN? Ownership I guess? I need help I am an idiot I should have made a copy
I just had one made at a dealer. It was 50 for the code and 29 for the key
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM
metalmech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had 1 made at the dealer. 50 to get the code from gm and 29 for the chipped key
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

My car came with 2 fobs and one key when I bought it in 2003.

I asked a GM Dealer in Mesa Arizona how much to make a lost key, with title and registration and Identification for brother's pickup.

10.00 for key, 125.00 for programming, this was for my brother's 2001 gmc sierra with no pellet, about 5 weeks ago, after he lost his key while tubing the salt river.

Since he was visiting from Texas, and his 2nd key was there, a spare key didn't help.

We "broke into" his truck up at the salt river parking lot the next day to prevent getting towed away for being parked there, or a parking ticket.

Lady at locksmith place gave me the idea to remove door handle and bring in to their shop to pay 25.00 plus 7.00 for key blank, so we did.

She was unaware that there could be 20 different key options even with door handle lock, the locksmith was kinda mad at her because she didn't know everything and should have asked him first.

He tinkered with the lock and came up with 7 key possibilities, had him make the 7.

$78.00, still cheaper than gmc dealer.

3 keys work on the ignition, all 7 worked on door lock.

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 10-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
Your posting was not necessary. Very rude, added nothing to the thread. Do you get paid for postings???
I don't get paid for posting, but life is easier if one thinks ahead more than two minutes. I'm simply trying to get people to use their heads.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 PM
sunvet
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, I was happy to get a Ferrari key for only $200. Had to send copies of my pink slip and drivers license to get it. Then it took 2 weeks to get it from Italy.

It is good policy to have a backup. Whenever I lose a key I bite it and go get one. $125 to get a replacement fob for my Chevy Traverse. But as the OP found out, what a bitch when you don't have the key.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I just got a brand new key from my local Chevy dealer.
$32.95 for the key and the cut.
Works like a charm, didn't need a key to copy as the key code was available based on my VIN. He did make a copy of my title and license.
Parts guy did have to call GM to find which chip my 03 had.......the printout from his computer listed the chip number as "fy" which we both thought was weird. So he called GM, got the code number and ordered the key from the closest dealer that had a blank with that resistor#

For $32.95 I would rather buy it from my dealer than pay $22.95 on ebay and then have to pay to have it cut somewhere.

BTW, there was no "programming" required.
Just the correct resistor chip # and my VIN.

Last edited by jrprich; 10-18-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by metalmech
I just had 1 made at the dealer. 50 to get the code from gm and 29 for the chipped key
TOTAL RIP-OFF see my post 37 on the key I bought today from my local Chevy dealer.

Last edited by jrprich; 10-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Well, its been almost 2 weeks. Did you ever get yourself a key? If so, where / how did you procure it?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Just call a locksmith. Way cheaper than a stealership. They'll know what to do.
Not always..........

When I needed a new key and didn't have one to copy I called several locksmiths. Their response was that to create a new key without one to copy I would have to tow the car to their facility so they could test the ignition cylinder and determine which of the 15 resistor chips would be needed before even starting the process. Then the cost of the key blank, was quoted between $50 to $70. Another fee to cut the key. All in all the cost could easily exceed $200 not counting the tow charge.

But as my other post detailed, my local Chevy dealer took care of the entire process for $32.95
Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Locked my key in the ignition a couple of weeks ago while i was doing some shopping, pretty easy to do.

Luckily my mum lives close by and i keep a spare key at her place.

Half an hour later she turns up and i'm good to go

Planning ahead is key (see what i did there?)

Get notified of new replies

To I lost my only key :( !

Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ah I thought I did update the thread, yeah delaer did it, worked fine... 112CAD later.

Then I got the resistance measured, found the key on ebay came to about 50CAD~ and waiting for it still in the mail, will get it cut by a locksmith locally.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

I do believe the dealership you're using is the exception rather than the rule. And not all locksmiths are inexpensive. So as usual, its best to check prices on both. Since I was cleaning up my ignition switch (as per Bill Curlee's info), I took the tumbler to a locksmith that rebuilt the tumblers section and cut me a new key for $20. I do believe a locksmith that is knowledgeable would be able to determine the VATS key resistance value from the VIN. If they quoted you a key blank for $50 to $70 then you automatically know that's a rip off. That simply proves that both some dealerships and some locksmiths will stick it to you. As usual, the best avenue is the path of common sense. However, talking about all this stuff, while fun, is not why I'm following this thread. I want to know what the OP has done. What avenue did he take?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The C5 has a VATS security system installed at the factory. That is a key with a resistive pellet in the key, a reader in the key cylinder that reads the value of the pellet on the key and computer logic that compares the pellet value read with a value stored in the PCM. If the values match then the Theft Deterrent Relay (TDR) is enabled so that power reaches the starter solenoid so that the engine will crank. If the values do NOT match then the TDR is NOT enabled and the car will not crank.

The number and resistor values of the keys for the C5 are listed in the table I provided above. So just purchasing a key without knowing the resistor value that is stored in your cars PCM leaves you a 1 in 15 chance of getting the correct key blank.

Of course if VATS has been bypassed on the car then any key that will turn the key cylinder will work. But without bypassing VATS you MUST know the correct key blank of the 15 possible to purchase. So either you were VERY lucky in ordering a C5 key blank or your VATS system is bypassed.

The Thread Starter does not have a key he can use to measure the correct pellet value so he needs to find either a Lock Smith or a Dealer that can use his VIN to find both the resistor value and the cut on the key.

This could be a dumb question, but my VATS is bypassed. If I get a replacement key of a higher value than the bypass resistor, will the computer notice a high resistance between the bypass + the key and not allow the car to start?

Quick Reply: I lost my only key :( !