Sponsored by:

C5 Body Control Module (BCM)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 PM
BosNva
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Body Control Module (BCM)

I have a C5 2000 Roadster. I have been told my Body Control Module has failed. The car runs great. Primary problem is no Rear Tail Lights at night. Brake Lights, Signals work good. Have Headlights. No Dash lighting whatsoever either. This all began when I swapped out the Factory Stock Tail lights for the Upgrade in the LED lights for the rear.
I was told at the Chevy Dealer the cost would be $900. for the BCM & $100. to Program into the car. Question. Is there another way around this without the expense or will I have to have to have the Chevy Dealer to perform this ?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You will get a lot of answers her from some very knowledgeable people. I read a TON on the subject prior to purchasing my car since it had a BCM replaced and needed to be programmed- not just the learning procedure. My only issue was weird- I had to clear the codes every time I drove to turn the air bags back on. Prior owner replaced the BCM but hadn't figured out how to program it himself yet. I have an SCCA buddy that works at a local GM dealer who programmed it for me for basically a case of beer. Quoted price was $90 for the reprogram.

I think member ersatz928 may still have a brand new BCM he's trying to sell. Maybe send him a PM? It's for a 2001 so I don't know if it will work but if nothing else, he's a wealth of knowledge on the subject and a heckova nice guy.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:22 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm foggy on all the symptoms.. but years ago when I owned a '97 its stalk had to be replaced. I do remember the dash lights not working when the headlights were on but would come on as normal for a minute or two when the ignition was turned off and the key removed.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
slvr bulit
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Most likely it is the Multi Function Stalk or MFS since it DOES control turning on those lights. MFS failure on the C5 is a pretty common issue....
I had the same problem's on my 98 and replaced the stalk.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:51 AM
BosNva
5th Gear

Many thanks to all who have replied.
Just when you 'THINK' you've been Educated on all aspects of an Automobile. Along comes another new item of discovery. First time I have heard of the MFS.
Will have that checked out for sure. Hopefully, the cost won't be near what the BCM is.
Am open to further suggestions, if any.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 AM
Stickyone2
5th Gear

I have the same problem; I ran a wire from fuse box (the tail light fuse) to the back of the car and hooked it up to the hot wire for the tail lights and now all my lights work fine
Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BosNva
Many thanks to all who have replied.
Just when you 'THINK' you've been Educated on all aspects of an Automobile. Along comes another new item of discovery. First time I have heard of the MFS.
Will have that checked out for sure. Hopefully, the cost won't be near what the BCM is.
Am open to further suggestions, if any.
I agree with the others. Whoever said BCM is "Easter Egging" your car.

AC Delco D1512G $145.00 @ Rockauto.com Change it yourself. Not all that difficult.

"MFS" = fancy (but very descriptive) name for Turn Signal Switch.

Edit: Just noticed your comment about aftermarket tail lights. Go back and double check all your work there. I have Halo LED taillight conversion and everything works fine.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 11-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Body Control Module (BCM)

Quick Reply: C5 Body Control Module (BCM)