Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] NoVA Inspection & Emissions - Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Turncoat
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NoVA Inspection & Emissions - Headers?

Hi all,

Let's just say I know a guy who lives in NoVA and recently bought a 2003 C5Z. The car has ARH headers with cats and a tune (Frost). Rear O2s are disconnected but still in place.

And let's say this guy took his car to get a VA state inspection and emissions testing, and the car failed visual inspection (non-stock cats, disconnected O2s) and ended up with a rejection sticker.

What might this fellow's options be? He has a set of stock exhaust manifolds and cats, but going back to stock is less than ideal (although I've heard the difference between stock Z06 manifolds and long tubes is not dramatic in terms of performance). He'd also need to go back to a stock tune, or get another custom tune that uses all factory O2s. Are any of you experienced with VA emissions, specifically after receiving a rejection sticker? Any suggestions? I assume the car is now more likely to fail again given the fact that it was already rejected by one shop.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I took my modded car thru NoVa inspections many times.
The last 10 years or so they only checked the gas cap for pressure and the OBDII port for closed cycle and emissions complete.
Never opened the hood or looked under the car. He needs to at least hook up the 02 sensors and read the obdii port for any errors.
However once it has a failed sticker they are going to ask him for the documents showing why it failed and he will have to complete the required repairs.

Originally Posted by Turncoat
Hi all,

Let's just say I know a guy who lives in NoVA and recently bought a 2003 C5Z. The car has ARH headers with cats and a tune (Frost). Rear O2s are disconnected but still in place.

And let's say this guy took his car to get a VA state inspection and emissions testing, and the car failed visual inspection (non-stock cats, disconnected O2s) and ended up with a rejection sticker.

What might this fellow's options be? He has a set of stock exhaust manifolds and cats, but going back to stock is less than ideal (although I've heard the difference between stock Z06 manifolds and long tubes is not dramatic in terms of performance). He'd also need to go back to a stock tune, or get another custom tune that uses all factory O2s. Are any of you experienced with VA emissions, specifically after receiving a rejection sticker? Any suggestions? I assume the car is now more likely to fail again given the fact that it was already rejected by one shop.

Thanks!

Last edited by jpb1978; 11-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] NoVA Inspection & Emissions - Headers?