Sponsored by:

Exhaust Removal Height Requirement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:01 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Exhaust Removal Height Requirement

I have read a few posts re: how high the back of the car needs to be in order to remove the stock exhaust intact. 36" seems to be the standard requirement. My question is, 36" from the ground to where? Bottom of transaxle, bottom of rear fascia? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

From the bottom of the frame or trans axle carrier
Even then you'll need to wiggle it around.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by SG Lou
From the bottom of the frame or trans axle carrier
Even then you'll need to wiggle it around.
Damn that's high!! Might be bringing it to a shop. Thanks for your help.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, to get the pipes out without cutting you do have to get the car up in the air quite a distance. When I installed an aftermarket exhaust on the '00 I had, I just took it to a local muffler shop and they did the swap for a very reasonable price. Plus it was much safer than trying to do it with jacks and jack stands.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Remember that the OEM non-titanium Z06 exhaust is not very desirable so not many remove them intact. At best you're looking at trying to hawk them off on Craigslist or scrapping them off once removed. As mentioned most all aftermarket cat backs come in pieces primarily at the over-axle, not only to facilitate ease of installation but also to assist with alignment. With these systems you do not have to raise the car as high as people typically mention as you install it in pieces and then adjust.

If you have a good floor jack you can jack the car directly at the rear fairly easy (support the aluminum rear cradle as it can be fragile). This is actually how I deal with oil changes at home as it's easier to raise the rear of the car than the front when lowered; raise the rear, go in under the car, lower the car slightly level to drain oil, raise back up and go through the final paces.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Much less than 36" if you are willing to cut the over the axle pipes. The after market replacement kits have the over the axle parts as several pieces so re-installation is easy. It's removing the OEM parts without cutting the over the axle pipes that requires the huge height.
I'm currently running the Ti's so I don't want to cut them. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Yes, to get the pipes out without cutting you do have to get the car up in the air quite a distance. When I installed an aftermarket exhaust on the '00 I had, I just took it to a local muffler shop and they did the swap for a very reasonable price. Plus it was much safer than trying to do it with jacks and jack stands.
Thanks, I'm convinced that I'm not going to tackle this job on jack stands. Just not worth the risk of getting killed for $100.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Remember that the OEM non-titanium Z06 exhaust is not very desirable so not many remove them intact. At best you're looking at trying to hawk them off on Craigslist or scrapping them off once removed. As mentioned most all aftermarket cat backs come in pieces primarily at the over-axle, not only to facilitate ease of installation but also to assist with alignment. With these systems you do not have to raise the car as high as people typically mention as you install it in pieces and then adjust.

If you have a good floor jack you can jack the car directly at the rear fairly easy (support the aluminum rear cradle as it can be fragile). This is actually how I deal with oil changes at home as it's easier to raise the rear of the car than the front when lowered; raise the rear, go in under the car, lower the car slightly level to drain oil, raise back up and go through the final paces.
I agree, if this was a stock exhaust I would cut them out. However, I have a Z06 Ti exhaust which should not be butchered so I can get some $$ for it. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:28 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by CG77VETTE
I'm currently running the Ti's so I don't want to cut them. Thanks for your input!
I was going to suggest cutting them off but i had a feeling from the way you asked that cutting wasn't going to be an option

I had stock exhaust so i had no reservations about cutting them...

Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
sunvet
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CG77VETTE
Thanks, I'm convinced that I'm not going to tackle this job on jack stands. Just not worth the risk of getting killed for $100.
Agreed. Too risky on jack stands. I had my local guy do the swap.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Both aftermarket axle backs I installed were single pipes on each side. Actually harder to get in place than the stock pipes.

I went from SLP Loudmouth to Borla to Z06. Would never go back. My hearing loss is bad enough at this point so I try to limit my exposure to gratuitous noise.

Did it on a lift and wouldn’t consider doing it any other way.

Last edited by maj75; 11-20-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:03 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I did it once without a lift. Very scary, never again. I got everything ready so that I only had to pull the exhaust out once it was up, got out of there as quickly as I could.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Removal Height Requirement

Quick Reply: Exhaust Removal Height Requirement