Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so many electrical problems with C5's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:53 PM
C908
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Why so many electrical problems with C5's?

I have been driving Chevrolet's since I was old enough to drive. When I bought my 99 C5 18 years ago I had every intention of keeping this car for many years. A few months ago I brought it out of storage, I have had the service ABS come on my dash several times. I find this to be an aggravation and really don't want to deal with it. After reading so many posts of others experiencing the same thing it's obvious this is an on going problem that GM should have corrected. I don't know if there have been any service bulletins in regards to this problem, maybe someone can chime in. I'm starting to question myself as to weather I want to sell or ride it out and hope for the best. Being retired I know if I sell it will not be replaced.Anyone else share these same feelings ?
The following users liked this post:
BodymanBob (02-09-2018)

Popular Reply

01-01-2018, 02:47 AM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The problems with the C5 aren't really unique, and they plague other GM cars of the era, such as the K-body Cadillac STS.

At the end of the day, these cars are getting old and the gee-whiz electronics (at the time) are going to age just like the rest of the car. I owned and kept a '90 Turbo Grand Prix on the road for a while years ago. Try finding an ABS accumulator for that car today. It's been out of production for over a decade. The accumulator is a wear item that MUST be replaced for the brakes to function correctly since they are not conventional vacuum brakes. There is also a pressure switch that leaks/fails open which is irreplaceable and has been out of production since the late 1990s. More TGPs hit the junkyard due to the braking system than anything else. At least the C5 ABS issue doesn't render the car undriveable, and people have already worked to move to the 01+ EBCMS which can usually be fixed.

Or consider my 1994 Thunderbird SC with a garbage Mazda M5R2 transmission that has carbon fiber synchronizer blockers which haven't been available from Ford for at least 15 years. Or the adjustable struts for that car which are only produced in very small runs by Tokico. Or the shock adjuster actuators which are all broken and out of production. Or the large number of parts on that car which are 94-95 SC-specific and are online-order only, so if you're on the side of the road somewhere, you're totally SOL.

I think it's about putting things into perspective. The C5 is 21 years old now, and when it was introduced, was very cutting-edge. That new technology tends to age very poorly, but at least generally most common C5 electrical gremlins don't leave the car stuck in the garage. The powertrain remains stout and proven, which is more than can be said for nearly all of the C5 contemporaries from the late 1990s. If you want a car that will have 0 idiot lights and a warranty to fix it when things do go wrong, you'll need to buy new or CPO. Otherwise, stick with your Corvette and fix the nagging issues that come along. Used parts are available, and the more "cost conscious" among the C5 crowd are finding ways to fix the problems that are springing up on the older model years.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Have you worked on a C4 lately?

Just wait until the C6 and C7 age some more.

Fine go older (C3) to avoid perceived electrical issues and drive yourself insane with vacuum issues instead, along with antiquated stuff that you need to be a serious gearhead to diagnose and repair.

At least on a C5 you can retrieve and reset codes from your dash within seconds while driving without the need for a scanner. Can't do that with any other car in existence that I know of.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 AM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

The problems with the C5 aren't really unique, and they plague other GM cars of the era, such as the K-body Cadillac STS.

At the end of the day, these cars are getting old and the gee-whiz electronics (at the time) are going to age just like the rest of the car. I owned and kept a '90 Turbo Grand Prix on the road for a while years ago. Try finding an ABS accumulator for that car today. It's been out of production for over a decade. The accumulator is a wear item that MUST be replaced for the brakes to function correctly since they are not conventional vacuum brakes. There is also a pressure switch that leaks/fails open which is irreplaceable and has been out of production since the late 1990s. More TGPs hit the junkyard due to the braking system than anything else. At least the C5 ABS issue doesn't render the car undriveable, and people have already worked to move to the 01+ EBCMS which can usually be fixed.

Or consider my 1994 Thunderbird SC with a garbage Mazda M5R2 transmission that has carbon fiber synchronizer blockers which haven't been available from Ford for at least 15 years. Or the adjustable struts for that car which are only produced in very small runs by Tokico. Or the shock adjuster actuators which are all broken and out of production. Or the large number of parts on that car which are 94-95 SC-specific and are online-order only, so if you're on the side of the road somewhere, you're totally SOL.

I think it's about putting things into perspective. The C5 is 21 years old now, and when it was introduced, was very cutting-edge. That new technology tends to age very poorly, but at least generally most common C5 electrical gremlins don't leave the car stuck in the garage. The powertrain remains stout and proven, which is more than can be said for nearly all of the C5 contemporaries from the late 1990s. If you want a car that will have 0 idiot lights and a warranty to fix it when things do go wrong, you'll need to buy new or CPO. Otherwise, stick with your Corvette and fix the nagging issues that come along. Used parts are available, and the more "cost conscious" among the C5 crowd are finding ways to fix the problems that are springing up on the older model years.
The following 7 users liked this post by digitaloutsider:
c5arlen (01-05-2018), El original (01-01-2018), golfnutts (01-01-2018), Johnson 92 (01-01-2018), Rico7142 (01-02-2018), runner140* (01-02-2018), Whiteonrice (01-05-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

OP, I see your statement that you just don't want to deal with it. If really true, then you have little motivation to keep the car, maybe just sell it as is and be done with it.

If you're otherwise up for it, at least get the codes that can be displayed on the DIC. I have seen the same message and it is sometimes unrelated to ABS issues. I got the message once on my 2001 (yes, a different ABS controller than yours) and found someone with a Tech 2 to exercise the solenoids and valves, and haven't seen the message since. You mention that your issue happened just after coming out of storage, so sometimes things are a bit stiff and a little activation may help.

Before giving up entirely check those codes and post them here, you just might luck out with a simple fix.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, my 03 Chevy Silverado C1500 which was basically a work truck with only a cruise control as electrical additions besides the radio, and 92K miles on it has had the instrument panel replaced ( warranty ) vent unit above the gas tank replace as it was showing check engine ( 600 bucks to get fixed ) and transmission rear seal replaced by me.
My 03 Corvette coupe with 117K miles , the records show lots of replacement parts on it from previous owners. But with me > High Pressure Power Steering hose, airbag/horn unit due to being sticky and could not get rid of it, drivers side seat belt anchor cause I broke the plastic, ECBM re-soldiered to correct dash ABS/Active Handling light, Temperature controller readout resistors re-soldiered to bring back the lights on the unit and replace light sockets for the Daytime/signal lights as they were pretty much burnt and causing the signal lights to not work at times. But, even at 74 yrs old, I do enjoy working on the car so all this plus other stuff, was done by myself.
So , be ready to put up with things like that.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM
dragls
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Knock on wood, but my '98 I've had since new has 130k on the clock with no electrical issues ever.

But I do read alot about all the issues.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:26 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Every time I read a message like OP’s, it just reinforces my wish to return to the days that you could order cars like the corvette with no AC, no electric windows/seats/door locks, no fuel injection (love the smell of the carbs), no anti lock brakes, and no fancy electronics. My SWAG; the tech nerds over engineer cars and the manufacturers have poor QC oversight on their vendors especially GM. It is all about sales and glitz.

NFL:
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

To the op. You are not the only owner with a C5 with those problems. I am the original owner of a 98 that “knock on wood “ have not had any electrical problems. I can understand not wanting to deal with it. I would look to the battery. It could cause problems if going bad. I change out the battery every 5 years if it needs it or not.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 01-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Corrosion, water intrusion into control modules are the biggest causes of electrical issues. Gounds get compromised and fries relays and wiring
The following users liked this post:
El original (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM
C908
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments, I am watching the codes and I did replace my 10 year old red top recently with another red top. It is below zero here in the Midwest once it warms up a little I'll drive the car and see how it does. I guess we have reached a point where whatever we drive there are going to be issues. I have a 22 year old Camry that was purchased new and the only problem has been a coil go bad about a year ago. Looking back I wish I still had my 68 Camaro SS or my 65 Corvette, much less to deal with. I remember how easy it was to install headers on my Camaro, there was actually room to work.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

Right now my 03 vert is functioning as it's supposed to, knock on wood!
The way I see it is one day some young guy is going to buy one of these beautiful C5's and start having all these problems and rip all the electronic stuff out and build him a car that's not dependent on all this stuff.
Hot rod builders do it now. Engine electronics, a/c, brakes and everything.
When that guy does it I'll bet he can market it.
I'd buy it because I love this vehicle and I think it's beauty will last forever.
I can dream of the future, can't I?

Last edited by Grandpa1; 01-01-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Can't go wrong with a 1st gen Camaro.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

No problems here my 02 has been perfect so far.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by C908
Thanks everyone for the comments, I am watching the codes and I did replace my 10 year old red top recently with another red top. It is below zero here in the Midwest once it warms up a little I'll drive the car and see how it does. I guess we have reached a point where whatever we drive there are going to be issues. I have a 22 year old Camry that was purchased new and the only problem has been a coil go bad about a year ago. Looking back I wish I still had my 68 Camaro SS or my 65 Corvette, much less to deal with. I remember how easy it was to install headers on my Camaro, there was actually room to work.
You got ten years out of a red top? That's amazing. I've never had much luck with the red tops (though I have one in my 99 and my Eagle Talon TsiAWD) but have had good luck with the yellow tops (in my 02 and two Ford Expeditions).
Yes it's cold in the Midwest. This morning at 8 o'clock, it was -23 actual with it feeling like -42. My dog did not want to go outside this morning
As for electrical problems, I don't worry about them till they happen. The C5 is definitely finicky when it comes to battery voltage though.
I wonder, todays cars have lots more electronics to them, such as lane departure, automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, touchscreens, etc. I wonder how all that will hold up and if they will be serviceable in the future.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:03 PM
digitaloutsider
Instructor

IMHO, the Red Tops are trash. There was a time when Optima was great, but those days are long past. I've had multiple failed Optima RTs to the point that I will not buy them anymore. Actually I won't buy ANY battery from Johnson Controls. So much junk.

My daily drivers get a conventional Deka Gold (East Penn) battery. Deka Intimidator AGM for a C5.
The following 2 users liked this post by digitaloutsider:
Crosis (01-02-2018), whalepirot (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Every time I read a message like OP’s, it just reinforces my wish to return to the days that you could order cars like the corvette with no AC, no electric windows/seats/door locks, no fuel injection (love the smell of the carbs), no anti lock brakes, and no fancy electronics. My SWAG; the tech nerds over engineer cars and the manufacturers have poor QC oversight on their vendors especially GM. It is all about sales and glitz.

NFL:

Every time I get into either my '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, or my wife's '16 Jaguar XJ, I can't help but laugh, as well as grimace. The touchscreen lights up, and for 10 seconds displays a message saying that "driving distracted" is hazardous.

Yeah, "no defecation, Sherlock"!!!

If using the touchscreen is so &^%$@!! distracting, then WTF did the manufacturers put them there???

Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Your car is 18 years old. Things age, wear out with time, Are you the same as you were 18 years ago no matter how well you think you've taken care of yourself?
My car is 17 years old, over 100,000 miles (recently) and no significant electrical problems other than having to replace the OPS at about 80,000 miles and a new battery 3 years ago. These cars were quite advanced at the time are so good still that people take them for granted, but age catches up to all of us and everything around us. Although some of the cars may have issues, I think it's few and far between compared to how many are out there on the road. The only reason you hear about them is because you are on this forum and are tuned into that. I give this car a lot of credit, and when the time comes, if ever, I would consider buying another one.

Get notified of new replies

To Why so many electrical problems with C5's?

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

2002 here . No problems . I needed a battery right after I bought it and I had the “service active handling etc” message , but that was the plug at right front wheel . I drive a lot , I think that helps !
Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

This is neither a GM nor Corvette issue. It's the industry and I have the ex-pink slips as proof: 2 new 7 series BMWs, one a buy back, the other dumped on the market w/<90000 miles and a Lemon Law 2015 Subaru Outback; all electrical issues. They new stuff is throwaway.

With 4 50's vehicles, a venerable '89 735iL, a flawless '08 Smart Cabrio, two Vettes and a 'new' '87 Volvo 765 wagon, my wife is comfy in a 19 year old MB SUV. I prefer filing relay contacts to swapping black boxes. (The '55 Nash Rambler does have in-dash NAV).

Every wonder why so many new cars have inop lights? My professional repair pal says it's due to smaller gage wires, which draw higher current, which fries the bulbs. Saves weight and $$ in production, tho.

Now, where's that dino-emoji?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:12 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
.......(The '55 Nash Rambler does have in-dash NAV).

You mean a glove compartment with a paper map in it??

Quick Reply: Why so many electrical problems with C5's?