Sponsored by:

Looking at a C5 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Looking at a C5 Z51

Been a while since I was on here. I sold my C4 ZR-1 a while back and wow do I miss that car. Looking to pick up a C5 for a daily/fun car, and I found one I'm interested in, asking for opinions. I have driven this car and it really runs well, looks to be well maintained. I definitely have my own thoughts on it, but would love to hear from more experienced C5 folks.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...429179236.html

I want a 6-speed coupe, and the Z51 is a definite plus. How can I tell it's a true Z51?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The option codes on a 2000 should be inside the passenger side glove box on the door. Look for Z51.
Nice looking car but priced a little high for a car with over 100,000 miles.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts
Default I'm Not Experienced...but

I have the Z51 suspension in my car and there is a sticker in the glove box that has the Z51 code on it. If the car you are looking at has the sticker in the glove box, that should tell you.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

That car show a lot of pride in ownership and no signs of abuse. 100k is nothing to be concerned about. 14k for what that car has is not too much IMO. 26 days on CL could probably work to your advantage in negotiating a sale price. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The car looks nice. I would pull the codes from the DIC and see what comes up. Having a trusted mechanic look the car over could be a good idea. It has some nice mods, especially depending on what that hood is (Motor City Mold or a clone). It may be priced a bit high, but you can always offer less if everything checks out.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Thanks, really appreciate it. It is throwing a check engine right now, which according to the owner is because the O2 sensors have been removed (headers + Corsa). When I go back and see the car again tomorrow, we'll pull the codes and verify that. If that's the case, should be a simple flash to clear the light.

I actually like the hood, a little bit custom but keeps the factory profile. Some other things I would undo, like returning the interior to full black, but otherwise the car has some very nice mods. Sounds amazing running through the hills around here too.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I would not put any value in Z51. It's pretty simple to upgrade a base coupe to beyond Z51 performance.

It's just Spring, shocks, sway bars, and power steering cooler.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
I would not put any value in Z51. It's pretty simple to upgrade a base coupe to beyond Z51 performance.

True, but given I autocross and track my cars, it's a better place to start from.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:20 AM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

x2

He'd be better of adding C6 components.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the O2 sensors have been removed, you will continue to get the codes and a CEL. The ECM can be flashed to remove the code.

Having the car checked by an independent auto repair shop would be an excellent idea. For around $120-$150 a shop will inspect the car and provide a written list of what they find. They should tell you what, if anything, needs repairs and how soon it should be done.

I have an 02 coupe with the Z51 package and it does a very good job improving the handling. If you want to improve handling, there are C6 Z06 components that will bolt on. Try Cultrag Performance (a Forum vendor) has the pieces at very good prices.

The red trim pieces don't look bad at all. I have some of the same items on my car except they are blue to complement the Electron Blue paint.

The Corsa exhaust is a good system to have. I have the "Indy Pace Car" version which was installed back around 2003. Not really loud at cruise but WOT makes lots of noise!

Last edited by c4cruiser; 01-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:54 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Nice car and IMO, the price is right. But, of course, I'd offer less.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark4cam
True, but given I autocross and track my cars, it's a better place to start from.
I'm just saying to give it more thought. Don't pay more for a car just because it's a Z51. If two cars are identical in every way including price, but one is Z51, then go that route.

Shocks need to be replaced if they haven't been already, so those are moot. C6 Z06 shocks are a fantastic cheap upgrade for either car.

Stock Z06 sway bars can be bought for CHEAP and they're better for AutoX than the Z51 bars. Better yet (and still cheap), is a C6 Z51 rear bar with a C6 ZR1 front bar for autox.

The springs are easy and cheap to upgrade to C5Z parts, again stiffer (and arguably better) than the Z51.

I only say this because I was hellbent on finding a Z51 coupe until I studied the differences. I ended up spending less on a base coupe and upgrading it with C5 Z06 sway bars, C6 Z06 shocks, and adding a power steering cooler (this is standard on Z51 and Z06 cars...a must if you autox). I personally like softer springs with stiff shocks, so the car ended up being better for me than the Z51 was, for less.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Also a few things to note about this car in particular.

97-00 cars have terminal EBCM's that can't be repaired. This is the module that handles stability control, traction control, and ABS. These are very common to fail, and you're somewhat SOL when it happens. If you're OK without those safety features, then no biggie...but GENERALLY 97-00 cars are worth just a bit less. 01+ cars got a new design (and new stability control that's great, IMO) that's repairable for cheap, so when they die, it's not a big deal. There were also some changes to the engine and driveline in 01+, which combined with the EBCM make 01+ cars a bit more desirable.

That said, I think this car is overpriced. You should be able to find an 01+ with those miles in the same condition for that price. I'm always amazed at how many nice C5's there are out there, don't get too caught up in not being able to find a clean one. They're all over.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If the O2 sensors have been removed, you will continue to get the codes and a CEL. The ECM can be flashed to remove the code.

Having the car checked by an independent auto repair shop would be an excellent idea. For around $120-$150 a shop will inspect the car and provide a written list of what they find. They should tell you what, if anything, needs repairs and how soon it should be done.

I have an 02 coupe with the Z51 package and it does a very good job improving the handling. If you want to improve handling, there are C6 Z06 components that will bolt on. Try Cultrag Performance (a Forum vendor) has the pieces at very good prices.

The red trim pieces don't look bad at all. I have some of the same items on my car except they are blue to complement the Electron Blue paint.

The Corsa exhaust is a good system to have. I have the "Indy Pace Car" version which was installed back around 2003. Not really loud at cruise but WOT makes lots of noise!
Thanks for the great info! I've got a local resource who can reflash the ECU. Good to know the C6 stuff bolts on. I have always heard the C6 is basically the same car, but basically and actually are often totally different. I've been spinning wrenches for 30 years, so I'm pretty comfortable doing my own checkups...of course I have been burned a time or two. Part of the fun.

I always wanted to put a Corsa on my ZR-1 but never had the opportunity, so getting to drive this C5 with it was nice. I'm not sure which version this is, but combined with the long tube headers, it sounds amazing. No drone and reasonably quiet at cruise, echos off the mountains with the hammer down.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 PM
mark4cam
Racer

I'm just saying to give it more thought. Don't pay more for a car just because it's a Z51. If two cars are identical in every way including price, but one is Z51, then go that route.

Shocks need to be replaced if they haven't been already, so those are moot. C6 Z06 shocks are a fantastic cheap upgrade for either car.

Stock Z06 sway bars can be bought for CHEAP and they're better for AutoX than the Z51 bars. Better yet (and still cheap), is a C6 Z51 rear bar with a C6 ZR1 front bar for autox.

The springs are easy and cheap to upgrade to C5Z parts, again stiffer (and arguably better) than the Z51.

I only say this because I was hellbent on finding a Z51 coupe until I studied the differences. I ended up spending less on a base coupe and upgrading it with C5 Z06 sway bars, C6 Z06 shocks, and adding a power steering cooler (this is standard on Z51 and Z06 cars...a must if you autox). I personally like softer springs with stiff shocks, so the car ended up being better for me than the Z51 was, for less.
Totally understood, makes perfect sense. But if I buy this Z51 for a good price, then at the very least I don't have to worry about the power steering cooler. I've looked at a couple other clean cars, but they haven't tripped my trigger as much as this one. And thanks for the info on swappable parts. I come from the Porsche world where every 911 up to about 1998 can interchange almost everything (and 928s interchange with absolutely nothing). They call the 928 the German Corvette and having owned examples of both, I can tell you a C4 ZR-1 is far cheaper to run and maintain! Not to mention more reliable. I'm seeing the C5 should be even easier than the ZR-1 was.

Also a few things to note about this car in particular.

97-00 cars have terminal EBCM's that can't be repaired. This is the module that handles stability control, traction control, and ABS. These are very common to fail, and you're somewhat SOL when it happens. If you're OK without those safety features, then no biggie...but GENERALLY 97-00 cars are worth just a bit less. 01+ cars got a new design (and new stability control that's great, IMO) that's repairable for cheap, so when they die, it's not a big deal. There were also some changes to the engine and driveline in 01+, which combined with the EBCM make 01+ cars a bit more desirable.

That said, I think this car is overpriced. You should be able to find an 01+ with those miles in the same condition for that price. I'm always amazed at how many nice C5's there are out there, don't get too caught up in not being able to find a clean one. They're all over.
Interesting. Is there a replacement for the EBCM, or just try to find a good used one? ZR-1s have a similar achilles heel except it's worse - the ECM dies and the only solution is to try a $600 repair (1 in 3 crapshoot) or go aftermarket $$$tandalone,

I'm going to check this car out again tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back on how it goes.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting. Is there a replacement for the EBCM, or just try to find a good used one? ZR-1s have a similar achilles heel except it's worse - the ECM dies and the only solution is to try a $600 repair (1 in 3 crapshoot) or go aftermarket $$$tandalone,
Used EBCM is the only way to go for 97-00. Typically around $1k
Old 01-13-2018, 07:43 AM
mark4cam
Racer

01+ cars got a new design (and new stability control that's great, IMO) that's repairable for cheap
Originally Posted by FirstC4
That just might be enough to talk me out of this car. The owner lives pretty much around the corner, so close is convenient, but not $1k convenient. There are plenty of clean 01+ cars here locally. I think I'll look at a couple others here over the weekend. I'll definitely keep this thread going as I hunt.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a C5 Z51

Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FirstC4
Yep. That's what pushed me into an 01+ car.

My EBCM died in my 03...it was $150 to ship it to ABS Fixer and it came back perfect. Been working flawlessly for 2 years now.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

I also came from the Porsche would...though I was addicted to 944's. My last was an 88 944 Turbo. Fantastic car, but man were parts NOT cheap and maintenance was much more involved. The C5 feels like a bigger, way more powerful, and easy to maintain version. Plus the aftermarket for C5's is massive and full of affordable parts.

I do still miss my Porsches from time to time, though. There's just something about them...
Old 01-13-2018, 09:40 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

That just might be enough to talk me out of this car. The owner lives pretty much around the corner, so close is convenient, but not $1k convenient. There are plenty of clean 01+ cars here locally. I think I'll look at a couple others here over the weekend. I'll definitely keep this thread going as I hunt.

I like following these searches, keep us posted!

Take your time and don't buy the first car you see (or at least see others before buying). C5's aren't "rare" by any means, even super "clean" ones. Problem is, all sellers think they are. Don't fall victim to it. Know what you're looking at and what you want.

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 01-13-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking at a C5 Z51