Tech 3 for C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tech 3 for C5?

Hello all,

Just want to know if anyone on this forum know anything about the Tech 3 for our C5? Just want to see how does it stack up against the Tech 2.

From what I have read so far that it is compatible to our C5 and up to the latest model.

Thanks in advance for all input.

Popular Reply

02-15-2018, 08:18 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Skyhawk23
Hello all,

Just want to know if anyone on this forum know anything about the Tech 3 for our C5? Just want to see how does it stack up against the Tech 2.

From what I have read so far that it is compatible to our C5 and up to the latest model.

GM Tech 3 is another name for the Multiple Diagnostics Interface (MDI) module used on all 2014 and newer GM cars as well as select older GM vehicles. The device is a 'pass-through' device, ie it connects to the OBD2 port on the car, then on the other end connects to a PC that runs a couple different applications depending on what car you are diagnosing, and then the PC further connects to GM/AcDelco web sites for subscription verification and software updates.

If you are diagnosing a vehicle that would have used the older Tech2, then the application you would run on the PC is Tech2Win - basically a port of the Tech2 functions to a Windows app and the interface on the PC looks very similar to what you would see on a physical Tech2. If you already have a Tech2 and don't have a need to connect to the later MDI cars, IMO there is no advantage to Tech2Win on a PC. Otherwise, a MDI setup covers Tech2 functionality as well as later cars. The Tech2 is used on OBD2 Corvettes up to and including the 2013 model year.

If you are diagnosing one of the MDI-capable vehicles, the app that runs on the PC is called GDS2, and if you are running the GM version of that, an AcDelco subscription is required. That subscription is expensive although a rumor out there is that AcDelco will be altering there subscription plans in the near future to make them affordable for limited use by DIY guys and such.

Alternatively, similar to what has happened with the Tech2 being cloned, there are MDI clones out there as well. The one I'm using now is the VxDiag VCX Nano, which also comes with Tech2Win and an altered version of GDS2 which does not require an AcDelco subscription. You will also need a Windows PC (laptop or tablet is a good choice). This allows you to do just about everything except flashing or programming the car's modules with new software updates. If you need to flash a module with a later calibration file, you will need to use the GM version of GDS2 as well as being subscribed to get the new calibration file.

I'm not interested in flashing modules, so the clone version is all I need to do just about everything else such as diagnosing, service bay tests and so on. I own three Tech2 cars and two MDI cars so this setup makes sense for me. The version I use supports GM vehicles through the 2016 model year. I purchased the clone Nano and a refurbished HP laptop for less than $300, which is about what you pay for a Tech2 clone by itself (prices are all over the place these days so look around). If you already have a PC you can use, you can purchase the Nano and the software for about $120. Look around on Amazon.

There is also a MDI-2 interface module that supercedes the MDI which will be required for 2018 and later models (unverified) - supposed to have increased communication speed. I haven't seen any clones for the MDI-2.

There are related threads in C7 General, C7 Tech, and C6 general about these systems with many more details and issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Hello all,

GM Tech 3 is another name for the Multiple Diagnostics Interface (MDI) module used on all 2014 and newer GM cars as well as select older GM vehicles. The device is a 'pass-through' device, ie it connects to the OBD2 port on the car, then on the other end connects to a PC that runs a couple different applications depending on what car you are diagnosing, and then the PC further connects to GM/AcDelco web sites for subscription verification and software updates.

If you are diagnosing a vehicle that would have used the older Tech2, then the application you would run on the PC is Tech2Win - basically a port of the Tech2 functions to a Windows app and the interface on the PC looks very similar to what you would see on a physical Tech2. If you already have a Tech2 and don't have a need to connect to the later MDI cars, IMO there is no advantage to Tech2Win on a PC. Otherwise, a MDI setup covers Tech2 functionality as well as later cars. The Tech2 is used on OBD2 Corvettes up to and including the 2013 model year.

If you are diagnosing one of the MDI-capable vehicles, the app that runs on the PC is called GDS2, and if you are running the GM version of that, an AcDelco subscription is required. That subscription is expensive although a rumor out there is that AcDelco will be altering there subscription plans in the near future to make them affordable for limited use by DIY guys and such.

Alternatively, similar to what has happened with the Tech2 being cloned, there are MDI clones out there as well. The one I'm using now is the VxDiag VCX Nano, which also comes with Tech2Win and an altered version of GDS2 which does not require an AcDelco subscription. You will also need a Windows PC (laptop or tablet is a good choice). This allows you to do just about everything except flashing or programming the car's modules with new software updates. If you need to flash a module with a later calibration file, you will need to use the GM version of GDS2 as well as being subscribed to get the new calibration file.

I'm not interested in flashing modules, so the clone version is all I need to do just about everything else such as diagnosing, service bay tests and so on. I own three Tech2 cars and two MDI cars so this setup makes sense for me. The version I use supports GM vehicles through the 2016 model year. I purchased the clone Nano and a refurbished HP laptop for less than $300, which is about what you pay for a Tech2 clone by itself (prices are all over the place these days so look around). If you already have a PC you can use, you can purchase the Nano and the software for about $120. Look around on Amazon.

There is also a MDI-2 interface module that supercedes the MDI which will be required for 2018 and later models (unverified) - supposed to have increased communication speed. I haven't seen any clones for the MDI-2.

There are related threads in C7 General, C7 Tech, and C6 general about these systems with many more details and issues.

Last edited by pickleseimer; 02-15-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typos
The following 9 users liked this post by pickleseimer:
bahamasair (02-15-2018), Beer:30 (08-09-2019), doublenut9 (08-08-2019), Irish31 (08-06-2019), jjc508520 (08-03-2019), Mickeyrx70 (08-03-2019), Phat98 (10-09-2019), red03vette (02-16-2018), Skyhawk23 (02-15-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Pickleseimer,

Thanks for a very informative reply. I don't have any vehicle that I'll need to mess with but the C5 Vette only for now. I was just wondering while I spend money or plan to spend money for a tech2, why not get a more up to date hand held scanner so in case I get lucky to own a C6 or C7. " Dreaming".

In any case. Thanks for you input.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Pickleseimer,

Thanks for a very informative reply. I don't have any vehicle that I'll need to mess with but the C5 Vette only for now. I was just wondering while I spend money or plan to spend money for a tech2, why not get a more up to date hand held scanner so in case I get lucky to own a C6 or C7. " Dreaming".

In any case. Thanks for you input.
Understand. The GM MDI setup will take the place of the Tech2 by using the Tech2Win software, but the MDI is not a hand-held scanner by any means - it consists of a VCI, a PC and software at a minimum.

Conversely, the stand-alone hand-held native Tech 2 / Tech 2 clone will support all Vettes up through the C6, so unless you end up with a C7 or later, you're covered with the Tech 2. Getting a clone hand-held Tech 2 is what I did before I got my C7. I find the hand-held unit easier to work with for my Tech 2 cars, and use the MDI setup just for the '14 and later cars. Dreams are a good thing.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Just a FYI, But the Vm GDS2 v17.0.08000 (2017) goes all they way up to 2018 vets/other models for 2018, while the VM GDS2 v15 (2015) only goes up to the 2016 vets instead.

So once you download the newer Vm "GDS2 V17" (Easy to find on the internet), open it with either VMplayer workstation, then install the VX manager from the white disc that came with the GM nano (into the VM Shell), and it will load the VX GM Nano automatically when you have it plugged in.

Hence what will be missing from the GDS2 V17 you download and run, will just be the VX driver MDI from the white disc that needs to be installed into the shell instead.

To add, with both GDS2 and having Tech2win on the same device/laptop, it easy to figure out which one you need for any GM based car (yes, Saab is a GM based car as well).
Just start with GDS2, click find Vin after pressing the diagnostics button to get into that window, and if there is support software in GDS2 for the car model, it going to list the car under the vin number. If all you get is a vin number without it listing the car type, then close out of GDS2, and use Tech2 win since.

If you want to go the long way, then in GDS2, click on the diagnostics packages, and look in them (latest GM global for US Cars) for the car model to see if its listed instead.

I bring this up, since I just help one of the lads set up his software for his GM Nano, and since his kid has a 2016 Malibu, made short work on testing the GDS2 V17 as well (tested the Tech2 win on his C6 vet to make sure it was working too.)

Hence programs to set up on the laptop are,
VM Gm SI
Native Tech2win emulator
Vm GDS2 V17 (used off line for none firmware update purposes)
VM Tis2000 (which includes SDS for flashing firmware on the Tech II side of the math).

Last edited by Dano523; 02-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skyhawk23 (02-16-2018)
Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

I just got my VXDIAG/TECH2WIN from our friends in China. I am an IT guy and was able to skip the VMWARE business and the app seems to run OK on WIN10 64-bit as others have noted. I have this all on a beater HP EliteBook 8460 - will try plumbing it to the car and see what happens...
Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I just got my VXDIAG/TECH2WIN from our friends in China. I am an IT guy and was able to skip the VMWARE business and the app seems to run OK on WIN10 64-bit as others have noted. I have this all on a beater HP EliteBook 8460 - will try plumbing it to the car and see what happens...

Tech2win cracked works fine in Win 7 through Win 10. Hell once I have the program load, and throw in some Mongoose pro drivers, the Mongoose pro even works with the cracked Tech2win program in win 10 as well

Its the cracked GDS2 (that comes on the disc) and TIS2000 that run in XP OS native that you have to play the VM game to run them in a XP VM machine under Win 10 OS native (or run a dual boot, with XP being one of the OS's).
If you can skin the cat to have either of these cracked programs run in Native Win 10 without VM, then pass on the wealth!!!

Last edited by Dano523; 08-03-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:17 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

I tried connecting the OBD sensor to the laptop and starting the TECH2 program (for an '00 this is what I need to use correct?). It asks which interface I want to use and shows 2 flavors of Bosch - I tried both but TECH2 says "no MDI detected". Is there a newbie thread with some notes about getting it all connected and exercising some basic functions?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 PM
Dano523
Race Director

In this order, load the VX driver MDI program first.
Connect the Nano to the laptop, open the mdi program, click on the bottom right icon to update the license, then update icon to update the firmware of the Nano.

Now leave the VX program open with Nano connected to the machine, go in to the Tech2 win folder on the white disc and reinstall the autoinstall.exe.
Hence the VX manager program needs to be slightly moded by the autoinstall.exe program, and it needs to be open when you install the Autoinstall.exe in the tech2 win folder on the white disc.

On your desktop, you will have two Tech2win icons. The one that is labled quick start, throw it in the trash and delete it.

Now using the other Tech2win icon to open the program from the desktop, should get the blue screen to start, and then should be getting these pop up screens.

Attachment 48339756
Select North America,

on the next pop screen,
Attachment 48339225
Select MDI 1

Now on the last pop up screen,
Attachment 48339757
Select usb device (its the nano).

Now with the Nano loaded into tech2win from these pop up screens, should now have this screen pop up.
Attachment 48335558
If you get this screen right away without the pop ups, then software is not loaded correctly as pointed above.
Also, on the C5, car needs to in acc mode for the nano to see it.

If by some chance you updated the VX manager (all scanner) to the latest version, will still need to update the license and firmware, but will need to go into diagnostic tab on the top, apps on the left hand side, and install tech2win and GDS2 drivers.

If you go to the top right hand tab in all scanner, and scroll down, will find a link to the latest vx manger. Just remember that you have to go in manually as pointed to to install the Tech2win and GDS2 software programs within VX manager apps.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dano523:
Beer:30 (08-09-2019), jjc508520 (08-06-2019), Phat98 (10-09-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:47 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for a in-depth clear explanation
Old 08-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Dang523,

You happen to have the link where you order your unit or a picture of the unit? I bought one from our friend over sea as well but was told that it will not support the 02 Corvette. They told me that it was too old? LOL so I had to send it back.

Also you mind sharing how much you paid for the unit?

TIA
Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Dang523,

You happen to have the link where you order your unit or a picture of the unit? I bought one from our friend over sea as well but was told that it will not support the 02 Corvette. They told me that it was too old? LOL so I had to send it back.

Also you mind sharing how much you paid for the unit?

TIA

VX GM Nano

Amazon Amazon

When I bought my a while back, Amazon had a rebate for my shopping with them, so my unit came to $100 with shipping in the end.

The unit is a MDI clone, but has back step hardware to allow it to run with Tech2win cracked as well. So it will run tech2win, GDS2, and can be used as a pass through device with TDS and Tis2000 as well.

It's going to come with a white disc, that will have VX Driver MDI (allscanner manager) , Tech2 win, and then a VM player and folder that is set up to run GDS2 in the VM player. The Tech2win is fine, the All scanner program you can update through itself, and regarding the VM GDS2 program that comes with it, its V15 Covers up to 2016 cars), with the latest Version V18 (covers up to 2019 cars) that you can find and download to use in VM player instead. Also to note, all the above programs will run on there own, and you don't need to have a subscription to GM to use them.

As for if you need to program any of the modules for your C5, again will not need to have a subscription to TDS, since TIS2000 will have you covered once you find a copy of to use with the nano instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-06-2019 at 10:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Beer:30 (08-09-2019), Phat98 (10-09-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Skyhawk23
Instructor

Dano523,

Thanks for the info. I am going to try this again hopefully it will turn out better.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Energy CC
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but what can you do with this setup on a C5 ? I have HPTuners and just a regular OBD2 scanner. If you can't program modules.... does it just allow more in depth diagnostics ?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Energy CC
Excuse my ignorance, but what can you do with this setup on a C5 ? I have HPTuners and just a regular OBD2 scanner. If you can't program modules.... does it just allow more in depth diagnostics ?

HP tuner allows you to mod the firmware files in the ECM alone

Tech II (clone) allows you to firmware flash the modules with OEM firmware when needed (updates or replacement modules, including the ECM using Tis2000 or TDS, full diagnostic all the way down to the body and EBCM level of the car, as well do the needed relearns as needed on the car as well.

So HP tuner allows you to tune the car since it can mod the ECM Firmware files with the Tech II can not, but really only looks/works with the ECM module alone.

The Tech II (clone) is used for all the modules on the car instead. Hence want to program F55 out of a C5, then you need to get into the BCM programming options, and you use at Tech ii for that instead. Have to replace say a ECBM module in the car, then need a tech II to re flash the replacement module to the car vin with the OEM firmware instead. Take it one step farther and have to replace a ECM in the car, then will need a tech II to first flash the Oem firmware into the module and security lock it to the car to begin with, then you can go back in with HP tuner or EFI live afterwards to re-tune the module.
The following users liked this post:
jjc508520 (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dano523
VX GM Nano

The unit is a MDI clone, but has back step hardware to allow it to run with Tech2win cracked as well. So it will run tech2win, GDS2, and can be used as a pass through device with TDS and Tis2000 as well.

It's going to come with a white disc, that will have VX Driver MDI (allscanner manager) , Tech2 win, and then a VM player and folder that is set up to run GDS2 in the VM player. The Tech2win is fine, the All scanner program you can update through itself, and regarding the VM GDS2 program that comes with it, its V15 Covers up to 2016 cars), with the latest Version V18 (covers up to 2019 cars) that you can find and download to use in VM player instead. Also to note, all the above programs will run on there own, and you don't need to have a subscription to GM to use them.

As for if you need to program any of the modules for your C5, again will not need to have a subscription to TDS, since TIS2000 will have you covered once you find a copy of to use with the nano instead.
I would gladly buy a case of beer for anyone who is willing to compile this all into a white paper
Old 09-26-2019, 03:27 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dano523
I'm not seeing anything when I get to this screen
Old 09-26-2019, 04:28 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I'm not seeing anything when I get to this screen
I managed to get past this - pressing on - hope to be able to do something "useful" with this soon...

Get notified of new replies

To Tech 3 for C5?

Quick Reply: Tech 3 for C5?