Sponsored by:

Inside Care of New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Well, I’m going to have a similar dilemma my friend. I just ordered a set of TSW Nurburgrings...
Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner. Congratulations on ordering some new wheels. They are one of the wheels I considered. They probably have a shorter availability time frame than the Forgestars which at times had made we wish I ordered them. I ordered my wheels in November and just received them last week. Fortunately(?) our winter helped to ease the pain. So, what size and finish did you get? Are you buying new tires too? I'll have mine on within the week. Probably going to coat the inners before I put them on.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by striper
Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner. Congratulations on ordering some new wheels. They are one of the wheels I considered. They probably have a shorter availability time frame than the Forgestars which at times had made we wish I ordered them. I ordered my wheels in November and just received them last week. Fortunately(?) our winter helped to ease the pain. So, what size and finish did you get? Are you buying new tires too? I'll have mine on within the week. Probably going to coat the inners before I put them on.
Mine should arrive at Driving Impressions by Monday evening. Been watching this thread with interest because I may try to throw a coat of something on the inside, since I help Bob with the work. I got 17x9 front an 18x10.5 in the rear. Gunmetal background with mirror cut face. My chrome wheels are on ebay now, met reserve. I’d love to put a larger tire on the rear but I just can’t do everything, especially we are taking 3 trees down.(which we decided to do before the storm!) I’m happy with the BFG G-Forces anyway.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Keev1414
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 117 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

Bimbo xtreme chrome polish, with a 4 inch pad with by drill. Then adam's buttery wax. then adam's brilliant glaze on top,.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I just purchased brushed/cleared F14s and am ready to install them. The ceramic wheel coatings from CQuartz and McKee's37 are the best long-term solution for keeping your wheels protected, and they are about $40 each per bottle. There will be enough product to coat your wheels a few times.

I went the next-best route, which is a high-temp synthetic paste wax. My car will be tracked as well as street-driven, and my wheels will be removed and reinstalled more often than others. Therefore, I will be periodically cleaning the barrels and reapplying wax to them (and the calipers) a few times per season. So, I was fine with the paste wax method. I did some research, and many people really like the Finish Kare 1000P high-temp synthetic wax. I just bought some this week, actually.
Sweet Jesus those brushed Forgestars are gorgeous. Please post pics of them on the car!
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Installed my Nurburgring’s last nite. Polished in and out with Collinite before install. I’ll have better pix after the snow melts....
Of course the ebay buyer for my old wheels backed out after paying. Now they are back up for sale.

Last edited by chasboy; 03-13-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by beboggled
Sweet Jesus those brushed Forgestars are gorgeous. Please post pics of them on the car!
Thanks, brother! Yeah, the wheels look like they cost twice as much. My favorite wheel finish, regardless of the brand. Brushed/cleared just looks great, and the brushing really does neat things to the sunlight reflections.

I will be doing a full photoshoot once all the winter mods are done, and when the car is finally ready for warm weather!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

I ordered and am going to try the McKees 37 wheel protectant. I hope I haven't wasted money. I didn't think any waxes I have currently would be appropriate for wheels. I have Turtle Wax synthetic clear liquid wax. Anyone familiar with that? I considered trying it on wheels but I wan't thrilled with it on paint. It's the synthetic quality that piqued my curiosity.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:14 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I ordered and am going to try the McKees 37 wheel protectant. I hope I haven't wasted money.
You haven't! First of all, McKee's makes some of the finest auto detailing products you will find. Bob McKee is the same man who co-owned and/or created Blackfire, Pinnacle, and Wolfgang products as well. I use their spray wax, waterless wash, and jeweling wax. Secondly, their wheel coating is a true ceramic coating, but even more concentrated for wheel use. It isn't a wax. It will last much longer, and will hold up much better against the high temps the wheels will see. Heat kills wax.

I didn't think any waxes I have currently would be appropriate for wheels.
They aren't the best option, but still better than no protection at all. I use the highest temperature-resistant synthetic paste wax available. Ceramic coatings would be better, but I clean/wax my wheels often. For someone who doesn't, ceramic is the way to go.

I have Turtle Wax synthetic clear liquid wax. Anyone familiar with that? I considered trying it on wheels but I wan't thrilled with it on paint. It's the synthetic quality that piqued my curiosity.
The majority of store-bought "waxes" are all synthetic. Even the popular carnauba waxes are mixed with synthetic polymers. While these companies call their synthetic products "waxes", they really aren't. They are actually "sealers".

Natural = wax.
Synthetic = sealer.

Sealers will last longer than waxes, and will protect better against surface contamination from chemicals, bird dookie, etc. Waxes offer protection, but they last half as long. The advantage natural waxes have over synthetic sealers is the appearance they give a car. Very deep and wet.

My standard regiment when detailing my cars is to clean them, polish them, apply a sealer (or what is called a "synthetic wax" on store shelves), and top them off with a quality natural carnauba or montan wax. That way, I have synthetic protection with a wax shine and depth.

Last edited by FYRARMS; 03-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
You haven't! First of all, McKee's makes some of the finest auto detailing products you will find. Bob McKee is the same man who co-owned and/or created Blackfire, Pinnacle, and Wolfgang products as well. I use their spray wax, waterless wash, and jeweling wax. Secondly, their wheel coating is a true ceramic coating, but even more concentrated for wheel use. It isn't a wax. It will last much longer, and will hold up much better against the high temps the wheels will see. Heat kills wax.

They aren't the best option, but still better than no protection at all. I use the highest temperature-resistant synthetic paste wax available. Ceramic coatings would be better, but I clean/wax my wheels often. For someone who doesn't, ceramic is the way to go.

The majority of store-bought "waxes" are all synthetic. Even the popular carnauba waxes are mixed with synthetic polymers. While these companies call their synthetic products "waxes", they really aren't. They are actually "sealers".

Natural = wax.
Synthetic = sealer.

Sealers will last longer than waxes, and will protect better against surface contamination from chemicals, bird dookie, etc. Waxes offer protection, but they last half as long. The advantage natural waxes have over synthetic sealers is the appearance they give a car. Very deep and wet.

My standard regiment when detailing my cars is to clean them, polish them, apply a sealer (or what is called a "synthetic wax" on store shelves), and top them off with a quality natural carnauba or montan wax. That way, I have synthetic protection with a wax shine and depth.
Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Thanks for your reply!
Mine are on, Jeff. Fully waxed with Collinite

Old 03-15-2018, 01:41 AM
Toddolie
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

FYRARMS those are beautiful wheels my friend! I was just reviewing an old post photos of your ride thread you posted in just after picking up your EB Z-06, ha ha. Have to say I also loved those chrome spyder rims it came with as well. Not sure they'd clear a big brake kit but if they did I'd be interested in them. I'll have to check out the wax you mentioned for the CCW 500's on the car we recently talked about. Looks like it IS going to finally happen.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your reply!
You bet, brother. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Toddolie
FYRARMS those are beautiful wheels my friend! I was just reviewing an old post photos of your ride thread you posted in just after picking up your EB Z-06, ha ha. Have to say I also loved those chrome spyder rims it came with as well. Not sure they'd clear a big brake kit but if they did I'd be interested in them.
Thanks, brother. I am happy with how the wheels turned out. I will post pics when they are installed and the car is out of storage! I have the C6 Spyders sold to my close friend. They are going on a black '04 coupe.

I'll have to check out the wax you mentioned for the CCW 500's on the car we recently talked about. Looks like it IS going to finally happen.
You NEED that car! Your CCWs are a different animal, though. They are polished with NO clearcoat. Just raw aluminum. I would hand-polish them as best as I could, then apply a dedicated sealer to preserve the polished finish. A lot of guys use Zoop Seal. Maybe something like Sonus Aluminum sealant would work well, too.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

On uncoated polished aluminum wheels my favorite polish is a German brand called Wenol. Comes in a orange tube. It does an amazing job, and I guess it has protective qualities too, because I only had to polish my Classics once or twice a year. The rest of the year and a wipe down with a slightly damp rag was all they needed and they still looked great. I also have used another excellent brand called Zephyr Pro 40. Easy to use with excellent results. I found it available at a truck stop along the interstate. I imagine that's what they use on those chromed out 18 wheelers. It was originally posted on here a long time ago by a truck driver who was also a Vette owner (seriously).
The following 2 users liked this post by striper:
chasboy (03-19-2018), FYRARMS (03-16-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

I applied the McKee's 37 to my wheels yesterday. The wheel definitely feel slicker and look even shinier and it was very easy to apply. I mounted the wheels on my car but it is still sitting on jackstands until I complete a couple of other things. Weather and roads are still not so hot so I can wait another week. Here's a different subject question. I had changed my oil not long before I took it off the road. Would you change it now for the new season or just leave it?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I applied the McKee's 37 to my wheels yesterday. The wheel definitely feel slicker and look even shinier and it was very easy to apply. I mounted the wheels on my car but it is still sitting on jackstands until I complete a couple of other things. Weather and roads are still not so hot so I can wait another week. Here's a different subject question. I had changed my oil not long before I took it off the road. Would you change it now for the new season or just leave it?
YOU are asking us that question? Time undriven: 5 months?
Miles on the current oil?_________?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

I applied the McKee's 37 to my wheels yesterday. The wheel definitely feel slicker and look even shinier and it was very easy to apply.

I had changed my oil not long before I took it off the road. Would you change it now for the new season or just leave it?
Send it. I have always made sure to change my oil before parking my cars for winter naps. I do run them up to operating temperature a few times during that period, too. Never had any issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Inside Care of New Wheels

Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by chris308
Rejex works well
REJEX works great, been using it for over a decade.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chasboy
YOU are asking us that question? Time undriven: 5 months?
Miles on the current oil?_________?
I went and bought the necessary oil and filter. I got in my car and checked the oil life and when I saw how little I had used I couldn't decide if I should change it. I think once the effin weather gets better I'll be using it up quickly. I can't believe another snow storm at the beginning of Spring.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

I went and bought the necessary oil and filter. I got in my car and checked the oil life and when I saw how little I had used I couldn't decide if I should change it. I think once the effin weather gets better I'll be using it up quickly. I can't believe another snow storm at the beginning of Spring.
And WE are in Charleston desperate to get home!!

Quick Reply: Inside Care of New Wheels