Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to protect my polished CCW Classics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 06:55 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best way to protect my polished CCW Classics?

Hey guys having trouble keeping my CCW classics polished with the light rain we've been getting in Socal. I've had quite a few sets of polished wheels before but never had this bad of a problem!

I try to hand wash my car once a week every week, its my daily driver. I had the CCW's freshly polished at a shop about 4 months ago, in those 4 months there has been zero pitting or spotting, but once the rain started its almost as if its acid rain or something eating the metal.

Almost exactly one week ago I went to wash down my wheels after the rain and nothing came off!
I spent the next 3+ hours hand polishing them using Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish and they went back to a nice mirror finish. I was hoping now they would be sealed and protected for the next rain.

Here are some before / after Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish

Name:  20180303_155638.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  226.1 KB

Name:  20180304_122851.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  369.2 KB

Name:  20180304_122909.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  320.9 KB

Name:  20180304_130707.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  306.8 KB

This past weekend it poured again, Yesterday it cleared up,I went to wash off my car and my wheels are just as bad again! literally 7 days later and they look destroyed. Now another 3+ hours bent over hand polishing them to make them look half way decent.
Heres how they look in 7 days.

Name:  20180312_091907.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  324.3 KB

Name:  20180312_091913.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  279.4 KB

This does NOT wipe off, I have to polish and scrub hard to get them to shine again and remove the spots.
Is there anything that will actually protect them? Or should I just get them powdercoated / painted and be done with the polished aluminum?

Last edited by ZO6_Dom; 03-12-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

What brake pads are you running? The dust can have a lot to do with what you are seeing when combined with driving in the rain.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:03 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
What brake pads are you running? The dust can have a lot to do with what you are seeing when combined with driving in the rain.
OEM pads, pads and rotors next on the list, any recommendations? Ceramic pads? Dilled / slotted rotors or OEM replacement?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I have never had that problem with my CCW wheels. What a mess and I know how much effort it takes to keep the looking great.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

OP if you use the advanced search feature and just type in: clearcoat polished wheels....... you will find a dozen different discussions on this particular topic with several alternatives for you to consider.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 PM
ZO6_Dom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
OP if you use the advanced search feature and just type in: clearcoat polished wheels....... you will find a dozen different discussions on this particular topic with several alternatives for you to consider.
I'm aware of having polished wheels clear coated but CCW's dont come with a clear coat, I cant imagine everyone who's paying a few grand for a set of wheels and they look like this the first time it rains?
Also once you clearcoat you can never "polish" them again, over time the clear coat yellows and peels.
Im okay with hand polishing my wheels once every few months but every time it rains, weekly to get this bad is insane! I've had other raw polished aluminum wheels and never had this problem

Last edited by ZO6_Dom; 03-12-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Research Aluminum sealers there are many to choose from, I use Black Diamond but not saying it is the best.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant protects all metal surfaces with a revolutionary acrylic polymer that withstands heat and bonds to metal surfaces – perfect for auto use. BLACKFIRE creates an extremely slick finish that sheds water effortlessly, helping to prevent water spots. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant prolongs the beauty of just-polished metals and maximizes the time between polishing. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant is designed for protection of daily drivers and any metal surfaces that regularly come into contact with the elements.

Last edited by 6speedsteve; 03-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Shineseal.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Man, I can understand your frustration with having to do a time consuming re-polishing so often. Here are a couple of Word files that talk about polishing bare aluminum wheels and then putting a protective coat on them. Read them over and maybe they'll give you some ideas. I also have a file on Refinishing CCW Wheels but it is too large to make as an attachment on the forum. If you would like a copy of it, just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Wax to Use on Polished Wheels.doc (206.0 KB, 117 views)
The following users liked this post:
brobeans1320 (07-02-2023)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Man, I can understand your frustration with having to do a time consuming re-polishing so often. Here are a couple of Word files that talk about polishing bare aluminum wheels and then putting a protective coat on them. Read them over and maybe they'll give you some ideas. I also have a file on Refinishing CCW Wheels but it is too large to make as an attachment on the forum. If you would like a copy of it, just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send it to you.
This why I like you Jack as a moderator,instead of being a *ss, you're always trying to help. Thanks , to the OP, I've never had this problem either. I'd be wondering about the pads too or what's on the roads coming off them. I did a set that had been sitting in the Harvey flood waters for 9 weeks and they looked like that, but never from just regular rain water.

After the flood

After polishing
Good luck, L8R ZFLASH
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

You might try ceramic coating the wheels. I have a set of CCW 505As that I’ve not mounted yet, but used an Adams Polishes wheel ceramic coating product that’s supposed to protect the wheels for a long time and make cleanup much easier.

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 03-13-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
You sure those are OE pads... Some pad material when it gets wet it sticks to your wheels like that especially Hawk material.

For new pads take a look at the Carbotech 1521 100% non-corrosive dust will not harm your paint or wheels.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

That seems like excessive pitting to me - could be an issue w/ the billet AL used, an error in their machining/forging(if they're forged)/polishing process too......but at the end of the day its bare AL - no protection, just polished/buffed shiny. There are loads of microscopic pores/fissures that will pit & oxidize.

Best measure - as others mentioned - probably bring the wheels to a reputable paint shop & have them sprayed w/ a couple coats of clear. I'm sure ceramic coatings are good, but they're not going to last as long or provide the same kind of protection from acids/solvents as a clear coat.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:35 PM
soofrsh
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd look into ceramic coating the wheels. I will be trying the Adam's ceramic booster on my wheels to see how well they keep the wheels clean as a test
Old 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

My suggestion.
After you get the alum. polished, use a good wax on the wheels
I have tried all kinds of polish.
Stopped at the Speed Shop and they wanted me to try
SmithBrite metal polish.
Wow No rubbing at all and it is easy to use and the wheels were as good as pro polish.
A little weird use a cotton ball to apply, one per wheel.
Later good luck.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:48 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
You sure those are OE pads... Some pad material when it gets wet it sticks to your wheels like that especially Hawk material.

I've had two different sets of CCWs, and neither of them ever looked like that. On my Camaro, I had Porterfield Racing brake pads, and on my C-5, I had the OE pads.

OP, one other thing, it looks like your bolts are on backward. On all the CCWs I've ever seen, the bolt head is visible, and the retaining nut is on the inside of the wheel....
Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

+1 for backwards bolts and brake pad issues

I loathe upkeep on my polished wheels as even rainwater or even car wash will try to etch the wheels if it sits in the lips with brake dust. Horrible if I leave it outside for some reason and it rains.

I use the BLACKFIRE products as well ; it’s ‘OK’ I guess. It has a film that you can tell gets greasy when wet. It does help but it’s not really the best issue.

Id like to try some ceramic coating (polymer wax basically) that would hopefully sheer water etc. Its all the rage on paint, and while I’m not 100% sold on it for the effort, I’d like to try it on the wheels.

DO NOT have them polished or cleared if you want to retain the luster. Most end up a little milky.

Ill probably end up breaking down and just vinyl dipping /painting/ powdercoating mine this year. Polished is a bit too showy for me and I’m not much for sitting in lawn chairs behind my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to protect my polished CCW Classics?

Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

I just refinished a set of auto couture magnafiques for my lexus .

They were brushed finish with a clear coat , stripped down , sanded from 220 to 2000 then machine polished with mothers metal paste.

I'm not aware of any real miracle coatings you can apply to bare aluminum, I will just be using a regular car wax on mine and hope for the best.

Usually you will have to repolish them every couple months regardless.
Attached Images     
Old 03-14-2018, 03:14 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
+1 for backwards bolts and brake pad issues

I loathe upkeep on my polished wheels as even rainwater or even car wash will try to etch the wheels if it sits in the lips with brake dust. Horrible if I leave it outside for some reason and it rains.

I use the BLACKFIRE products as well ; it’s ‘OK’ I guess. It has a film that you can tell gets greasy when wet. It does help but it’s not really the best issue.

Id like to try some ceramic coating (polymer wax basically) that would hopefully sheer water etc. Its all the rage on paint, and while I’m not 100% sold on it for the effort, I’d like to try it on the wheels.

DO NOT have them polished or cleared if you want to retain the luster. Most end up a little milky.

Ill probably end up breaking down and just vinyl dipping /painting/ powdercoating mine this year. Polished is a bit too showy for me and I’m not much for sitting in lawn chairs behind my car.
I was looking into the ceramic coatings as well, apparently they leave the metal somewhat cloudy and looses some of its lustre, a few guys have tried it already but I haven't.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 AM
Revolver ZSTi
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

polish them up, and have a body shop or a wheel painter clear coat them

Quick Reply: Best way to protect my polished CCW Classics?