Sponsored by:

No wheels yet but a ton of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Triscaphe
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No wheels yet but a ton of questions

Hello all. I'm a 30ish guy just about done with medical training and about to PCS from NorCal to somewhere else in the continental US (potentially southern Idaho vs western Missouri vs western SD vs any other USAF base). I've dreamed about owning a Vette for awhile (I've never owned anything sporty; only boringly practical cars) and now I'm getting close to the point where I can act on it. I'm stoked! I also have a ton of questions (I know many of them are as age-old as 9mm vs .40; I'm looking for insight pertinent to my driving situation).
  • C5 vs C6? My price point is <$40k, so used is obviously the way to go. I like the aesthetics of the pop-ups and the lower entry point for the C5, but I'll (hopefully) be using this as a daily commuter and I've heard the C6 interior is a little roomier and more comfy. I won't be taking her to the track (at least, not initially), so top speed is not a high priority.
    • On a similar note, I'm assuming Z06 and GS would not benefit me much, but MRC would be a pretty crucial feature.
    • How many miles should I be looking at? Is there a point on either of these cars where they tend to nosedive in reliability?
  • Vert or TT? I've never been in either. I'm hoping that I wind up in a place that has decent top-down weather for a portion of the year and the idea of a vert is very attractive.
    • Speaking of having never been in either, once I find a local Vette event, how amenable are most Vette owners to giving a stranger at an event a ride so that they can see what the interior is like? I'm curious about road noise, leg room, seat quality, etc. but I don't want to be that weird guy who makes it awkward.
  • Stick or auto? I've got minimal stick experience, but I have driven them before. I like the idea of rowing through the gears and, given that I'll be at an AF base (read: in the middle of a large, flat plain), so commuting likely won't involve much sitting in traffic.
    • How do you folks recommend brushing up on stick experience? Rental for a couple of days?
  • How functional can I make a Vette in weather? I'm not at a phase of life where I can afford a garage queen, so I won't be keeping her in during the rain; is cautious driving in wet conditions a reasonable plan?
    • And what about snow? As above, I'm really not sure where exactly I'll be, so snow is a definite possibility. I'm originally from MN, so I've got plenty of experience in FWD, but obviously RWD is a different animal. Obviously, the clearance on a Vette doesn't allow you to work in conditions with any buildup, but is a dusting still doable?
    • The family car is an eminently-practical 2011 Outback that my better half uses regularly; do you think I'll have to get a beater for when the weather is too much?
  • Maintenance. I'm a low-to-normal level of handy: I can change my own oil, swap rims, replace plugs, etc., but anything beyond that is a stretch. Also, I'll be really lucky if I can get my work hours down to the 40-50hr/wk range and I've got a wife and 2 young kids at home (too young for front seat, sadly), so I don't really have time time for projects. Between a C5 and C6, which is less likely to give me problems that I can't quickly and easily fix?
  • Color. My 2-year-old loves yellow (the first color he mastered) and neither my wife nor I have super-strong preferences, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be going with. Bonus points for visibility. Any reasons to avoid?
  • Where to buy? I'm in NorCal which has the benefit of relatively mild conditions as well as a lot of retirees who want to upgrade to newer generations of Vette. Is it worth buying one out here before I move and then flying back to drive it? Or do you think I'll be able to easily find a well-maintained Vette pretty much anywhere I go?
    • Autotrader? Dealer? Forums?
Thanks much for any insight you can provide!

Last edited by Triscaphe; 03-17-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Welcome to the CF!

You should test drive the various Vettes you mentioned and then decide what suits YOU best.
The following users liked this post:
msandym (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the forum!!

Many of those questions you have to answer for yourself. We all bought the combination we own for different reasons.

Enjoy the search.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome aboard. Your sort of lucky there is a very helpful moderator that comes by often to this section, perhaps some of your questions can be answered in other sections of this forum. But most will have to be decided by yourself. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Triscaphe
Hello all. I'm a 30ish guy just about done with medical training and about to PCS from NorCal to somewhere else in the continental US (potentially southern Idaho vs western Missouri vs western SD vs any other USAF base). I've dreamed about owning a Vette for awhile (I've never owned anything sporty; only boringly practical cars) and now I'm getting close to the point where I can act on it. I'm stoked! I also have a ton of questions (I know many of them are as age-old as 9mm vs .40; I'm looking for insight pertinent to my driving situation).
  • C5 vs C6? My price point is <$40k, so used is obviously the way to go. I like the aesthetics of the pop-ups and the lower entry point for the C5, but I'll (hopefully) be using this as a daily commuter and I've heard the C6 interior is a little roomier and more comfy. I won't be taking her to the track (at least, not initially), so top speed is not a high priority. My wife and I actually prefer the C5 cabin to that of the C6, so there is not a simple right or wrong as far as I see it.
    • On a similar note, I'm assuming Z06 and GS would not benefit me much, but MRC would be a pretty crucial feature. These are more performance oriented and for only using the car as a daily driver you may prefer a base model.
    • How many miles should I be looking at? Is there a point on either of these cars where they tend to nosedive in reliability? In many respects, lower is better, but having said that, the care that has been given the Vette is of greater importance.
  • Vert or TT? I've never been in either. I'm hoping that I wind up in a place that has decent top-down weather for a portion of the year and the idea of a vert is very attractive. Some people believe that you must drive a vert. Others prefer the look of the FRC and still others enjoy the targa type roof. My wife and I prefer the targa, but still like the looks of the others, too.
    • Speaking of having never been in either, once I find a local Vette event, how amenable are most Vette owners to giving a stranger at an event a ride so that they can see what the interior is like? I'm curious about road noise, leg room, seat quality, etc. but I don't want to be that weird guy who makes it awkward. I believe you will find owners at many of the Vette events that will be glad to give you a ride to let you "feel" the differences.
  • Stick or auto? I've got minimal stick experience, but I have driven them before. I like the idea of rowing through the gears and, given that I'll be at an AF base (read: in the middle of a large, flat plain), so commuting likely won't involve much sitting in traffic. Like the type of roof line, stick and auto is a personal choice. We've had about a 50-50 mix with our Vettes and other "muscle" cars and find positives with each transmission. We were in a head-on almost 1.5 years ago, and currently it's "iffie" if we'll drive a manual transmission again. However, we have a 3600rpm stall in our A4 so we can get a pretty decent launch when we want to.
    • How do you folks recommend brushing up on stick experience? Rental for a couple of days? If you think you want to go with a manual trans, then sure, rent anything with a manual just to refresh yourself with the shifting mechanics. However, it's much like riding a bike - once you do it you always can later on.
  • How functional can I make a Vette in weather? I'm not at a phase of life where I can afford a garage queen, so I won't be keeping her in during the rain; is cautious driving in wet conditions a reasonable plan? Whether Vette or any other car, caution is good whenever the road condition is not 100%. Especially until you get used to the horsepower at your command. It may surprise you!
    • And what about snow? As above, I'm really not sure where exactly I'll be, so snow is a definite possibility. I'm originally from MN, so I've got plenty of experience in FWD, but obviously RWD is a different animal. Obviously, the clearance on a Vette doesn't allow you to work in conditions with any buildup, but is a dusting still doable? Fortunately (I guess) we are now retired so can chose when to take out the Vette and when to go out in the AWD SUV; however, I drove earlier generation Corvettes for many years, and with care, snow is not an issue unless it is high enough your front spoiler is a snow plow.
    • The family car is an eminently-practical 2011 Outback that my better half uses regularly; do you think I'll have to get a beater for when the weather is too much? Depends on the normal snow fall which will be determined by where you end up being assigned.
  • Maintenance. I'm a low-to-normal level of handy: I can change my own oil, swap rims, replace plugs, etc., but anything beyond that is a stretch. Also, I'll be really lucky if I can get my work hours down to the 40-50hr/wk range and I've got a wife and 2 young kids at home (too young for front seat, sadly), so I don't really have time time for projects. Between a C5 and C6, which is less likely to give me problems that I can't quickly and easily fix? Most owners who have had their C5 or C6 for very long have probably dealt with many of the more common issues. If troubles arise, virtually any AFB will have a significant number of Vette owners who may be able to help out. Plus, this helps you learn more about maintaining your ride. Also, most bases have (or at least used to have) auto hobby shops where you can work on the car.
  • Color. My 2-year-old loves yellow (the first color he mastered) and neither my wife nor I have super-strong preferences, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be going with. Bonus points for visibility. Any reasons to avoid? Everyone has their favorite color, too. I'm not aware of any color to avoid, but if there is a color concern, other members of the forum will weigh in. Almost all ours have been white - guess subconsciously, I go back to the original color of the Corvette in 1953.
  • Where to buy? I'm in NorCal which has the benefit of relatively mild conditions as well as a lot of retirees who want to upgrade to newer generations of Vette. Is it worth buying one out here before I move and then flying back to drive it? Or do you think I'll be able to easily find a well-maintained Vette pretty much anywhere I go? Look for cars where you are now. Look at the for sale sections of the forum, too. All the generations have the for sale sections. You might even find a Corvette Forum member near you selling a well cared for Vette. If not, look where you end up being assigned. Don't rush the process. Some members have waited 2-3 years to find their "perfect" (for them) Vette.
The others have given good advice. The Corvette right for you is not necessarily what someone else will like. As AE Guy said, you need to find what's right for you. And the way you do that, in part, is as Jeff T suggested - try driving the different Vettes (C5, C6, Vert, non-vert, etc), and you'll find what you want to be in.

Read the stickies at the top of the C5 and C6 sections. They will be invaluable in helping you know what to look for. As DA Hogan said, the answers, ultimately, will have to be decided by you.

Thank you for your service!

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:48 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

I think your questions about C5 vs C6 might be answered in those sections. Do some research in those sections for some help.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:50 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck in your search!

A lot of GREAT advice above!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the search.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome aboard! Just as you complete training it looks like you have more research to do! Enjoy the process and good luck with your search!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Triscaphe

If you get assigned to Missouri, it will be at Whiteman AFB in **** Noster. Nice base and close to Sedalia (about 30 minutes)
or Kansas City (about an hour). Not much to do in **** Noster, but still a nice place with resaonable cost of living.

• C5 vs C6? My price point is <$40k, so used is obviously the way to go. I like the aesthetics of the pop-ups and the lower entry point for the C5, but I'll (hopefully) be using this as a daily commuter and I've heard the C6 interior is a little roomier and more comfy. I won't be taking her to the track (at least, not initially), so top speed is not a high priority.

For a budget like yours, you will have a lot of options in both the C5 and C6 models. I have seen some lower mileage C6 GS cars in the mid to upper 30s and they were pretty much loaded. For the C5's, mid to lower 20's will get you an excellent car, whether that be a Z06, vert or a coupe. IMO, the C5 interior has more room than the C6. Both the C5 and C6 would be good daily drivers - they are comfortable, get good gas mileage and are reliable platforms.

Depending on when you buy, the early C7s are getting down to close to $40K, so don't discount those either.

• On a similar note, I'm assuming Z06 and GS would not benefit me much, but MRC would be a pretty crucial feature.

No reason to discount getting a Z06 or GS -both are excellent cars and will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. Magnetic ride control is a nice feature, but not crucial IMO. The cost to repair should something go bad is extreme if you want to stay with those shocks. But, it is something you should look at if you are really wanting that feature.
    • How many miles should I be looking at? Is there a point on either of these cars where they tend to nosedive in reliability?

Both the C5 and C6 are reliable platforms and many members here have well in excess of 100K miles on their cars with minimal issues. I would look at getting a car with as few miles as you can find that has been well maintained and checks out after a mechanics review.
  • Vert or TT? I've never been in either. I'm hoping that I wind up in a place that has decent top-down weather for a portion of the year and the idea of a vert is very attractive.

I have not owned a vert, but I have been very pleased with the targa top coupes that I have owned. The targa still gives you the open air driving and offers a lot of room in the hatch area should that be a concern.
    • Speaking of having never been in either, once I find a local Vette event, how amenable are most Vette owners to giving a stranger at an event a ride so that they can see what the interior is like? I'm curious about road noise, leg room, seat quality, etc. but I don't want to be that weird guy who makes it awkward.

I have found Vette owners are very friendly and I would think that you would be able to find someone at a car show/cruise in that would be more than happy to take you for a ride in their car. I know I would if you were in this area.
  • Stick or auto? I've got minimal stick experience, but I have driven them before. I like the idea of rowing through the gears and, given that I'll be at an AF base (read: in the middle of a large, flat plain), so commuting likely won't involve much sitting in traffic.

The manual tranny in the Vette is decent, but some complain about the stock shifter in the C5 (the two I have owned were just fine though). Some end up installing a C6 shifter or an aftermarket one in their C5. If you like rowing the gears, drive several examples of both the C5 and C6 to see how you like it. I have had two 6-speed C5s and now have an automatic C5 and honestly I have just as much fun driving it as I did the manual tranny cars. Remember that you can get a paddle shift transmission in the 2006 and later C6s.
    • How do you folks recommend brushing up on stick experience? Rental for a couple of days?

I would think that you can rent a manual tranny car from just about any car rental company. It would be a cheap way to get some experience driving a stick.
  • How functional can I make a Vette in weather? I'm not at a phase of life where I can afford a garage queen, so I won't be keeping her in during the rain; is cautious driving in wet conditions a reasonable plan?

In rain, you shouldn't have problems as long as you drive sensibly. Remember the car has wide tires and a lot of power and getting too crazy with that combo can get you in trouble fast. Try to find a car with active handling - it is a nice feature to have. Plus most C5s run summer tires on the car and they are designed more for traction on dry surfaces. A good set of all season tires may be a good buy for a daily driver car.
    • And what about snow? As above, I'm really not sure where exactly I'll be, so snow is a definite possibility. I'm originally from MN, so I've got plenty of experience in FWD, but obviously RWD is a different animal. Obviously, the clearance on a Vette doesn't allow you to work in conditions with any buildup, but is a dusting still doable?

The Vette will get you through snow, but it is really not the most pleasurable experience out there. Lots of power plus wide tires are challenges to getting good traction. Plus if the snow gets past 1-2" in depth, you can have some real problems. Again, a good set of all season tires would make a big difference. You also have to realize that as the temps drop, so does traction.
    • The family car is an eminently-practical 2011 Outback that my better half uses regularly; do you think I'll have to get a beater for when the weather is too much?

If you can afford it, a cheap beater car would not be a bad way to go. I can only speak for Missouri, but we generally do not get an extreme amount of snow each year and the highway departments are very good at clearing the roads. But there will be days that getting a Vette out on the road could be a challenge.
  • Maintenance. I'm a low-to-normal level of handy: I can change my own oil, swap rims, replace plugs, etc., but anything beyond that is a stretch. Also, I'll be really lucky if I can get my work hours down to the 40-50hr/wk range and I've got a wife and 2 young kids at home (too young for front seat, sadly), so I don't really have time time for projects. Between a C5 and C6, which is less likely to give me problems that I can't quickly and easily fix?

The C6 has a few more technical advancements that the C5, especially in the electronics area. But regardless of which generation you choose, the cars are pretty reliable and easy to work on.
  • Color. My 2-year-old loves yellow (the first color he mastered) and neither my wife nor I have super-strong preferences, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be going with. Bonus points for visibility. Any reasons to avoid?

If you like yellow, get yellow. I know of no reason to avoid that color. What is nice is both the C5 and C6 comes in a variety of great colors for you to choose from.
  • Where to buy? I'm in NorCal which has the benefit of relatively mild conditions as well as a lot of retirees who want to upgrade to newer generations of Vette. Is it worth buying one out here before I move and then flying back to drive it? Or do you think I'll be able to easily find a well-maintained Vette pretty much anywhere I go?

There are well maintained Corvettes all over. Depending on what options/color you want, you may have to travel a distance to look at/purchase the car. For my current C5, I flew to Atlantic City, NJ to buy it and then drove it home 1400 miles. It was a great trip. However, if you find one in your current area that is what you want, no reason to not take the plunge.

Any of those places will have some good vehicles for you to consider. I bought mine from a fellow Corvette Forum member and I sold my '00 to a forum member. My advice, be patient and get the car that you really want - no sense in settling when tens of thousands of dollars are involved.

I have put my comments in red above - take them for what they may be worth. There are a lot of very knowledgeable members here on the forum as well as instructions for how to fix almost all the problems you may encounter. This forum is a great resource. If you are looking at C5s, here are some valuable threads that will help you in your purchasing decision:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ngths-etc.html

What I am going to do is move this over to the C5 General section where other members can add their comments and hopefully help you through the decision process. Good luck - hope you find a great car at a great price and enjoy Corvette ownership.

And thanks for your service.
Triscaphe (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

^ well done, great response.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

You need to get a millennium yellow convertible with a manual 6 speed and light oak interior. You're welcome. I just might have one for sale and I'm within driving distance.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 03-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Oldandslow
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Everyone has done a great hjob of answering your questions and concerns so i have nothing to add other than i love your color choice.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:01 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

If you're going to do substantial driving in the dark go for the C6, C5's have pathetic lights (with NO easy or inexpensive fixes). One of the most complained about "features" on this forum.

Biggest single reason I am looking to move up from a 2004 MY stick conv to a 2008 or newer.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Well rookie, you’ve heard from the best (Jack) and a smidgen of the rest. We agree on a lot of stuff and disagree too, but most of us know our stuff, especially about what it means to get the right car for ourselves.
My take will have brief responses:
With your potential budget look at all model C5’s and c6. You will not spend 40k on any C5.
No reason to avoid the GS or Z. The c6 GS looks better than the base.
Some people get all crazy about the shifting of the manual between models. Thats a subjective choice.
Go for the BEST CAR and be flexible with certain things, like color.
I don’t like verts. NO offense to any vert owners but hearing the car behind me in traffic bothers me.
I never thought I’d take the targa off....ever. Until a friend suggested it. I love it now.
Do as much reading as you can and drive as many as you can. Quick story, I chose my C5Z over a C6 base after driving the C6.
C5’s are roomier. (I may get some flak on this, but my low budget tallier has found this to be pretty consistent.

Last edited by chasboy; 03-18-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Triscaphe (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 AM
Triscaphe
Cruising

Vetteman Jack and chasboy, thank you much for the advice! Your experience and perspective is exactly what I've been looking for. I've combed the C5 and C6 forums in the past and I'll keep digging for now. I've got at least a month until I'm able to buy, so it's time for some more research =)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

GOOD work, you will find the right one!!!

Get notified of new replies

To No wheels yet but a ton of questions

Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

You are the only one who can decide. You are getting other people’s personnel opinion.
Choose the one you like, however don’t buy something that is modded up beyond you understanding.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Clancy209
You are the only one who can decide. You are getting other people’s personnel opinion.
Choose the one you like, however don’t buy something that is modded up beyond you understanding.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Triscaphe
Cruising

Hey Folks, thanks for all of the input so far =)
I have an additional question: how valuable is the MRC to you in a daily driver? I’m looking at yellow manual verts and none of them near me have MRC. There is an anniversary edition vert; is MRC crucial enough to compromise on color? Also, what about painting it? I know it’ll cost a couple thousand at least, but the more I think about the color, the more sold I am =)

Quick Reply: No wheels yet but a ton of questions