Sponsored by:

Couldn't wait any longer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Default Couldn't wait any longer

I tried to be good and wait until the new bezel came in to drive my car. Took everything apart in late February to make sure the radio worked and get everything wired up. A week went by and I started getting anxious to drive. Another week went by and I had run out of projects to start on to keep my vette urges at bay.

Came home in between classes to walk the dog today and the car just looked so sad. There was no resisting, I put everything I needed to drive back in, hooked up the battery, and "secured" the new radio in place.

Hate driving it like this because the car the car is too nice to be abused, but I couldn't help it.

The following users liked this post:
tdf01cycling (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Have you thought about swapping out the shifter?? I felt the C5 ****/ball was the most unnatural shifter I've ever used.

I went with a C6 and it just fits the hand so much better.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jeff T.

Have you thought about swapping out the shifter?? I felt the C5 ****/ball was the most unnatural shifter I've ever used.

I went with a C6 and it just fits the hand so much better.
yeah, I had a C6 shifter because I liked the look, but it was too small for my hand and I didn't like how it felt. Believe it or not I actually like the feel of the stock ****, though it's certainly not my absolute favorite as far as looks go. I think I like the feel so much due to it being flat on my base of my palm, and after a decade of bench pressing that's become very natural for me
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Sometimes you just gotta "test" it! I got everything at the same time, and the only thing that slowed me down was cutting out the brackets. You will love it when it's done!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteFTW
Sometimes you just gotta "test" it! I got everything at the same time, and the only thing that slowed me down was cutting out the brackets. You will love it when it's done!
yeah, if I had to do that again I would be buying a 90 degree drill adapter.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Lingenfelter
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

yeah, I had a C6 shifter because I liked the look, but it was too small for my hand and I didn't like how it felt. Believe it or not I actually like the feel of the stock ****, though it's certainly not my absolute favorite as far as looks go. I think I like the feel so much due to it being flat on my base of my palm, and after a decade of bench pressing that's become very natural for me
I'm constantly hearing how bad the shifter in our cars are and to get the C6 shifter. But, I like the stock shifter in my C5Z as well. It fits perfectly in my hand and I like the way it looks better then the C6 shift ****. If I ever did one day change it, it would be for the Hurst shifter.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I guess they can't advertise as "one size fits all".
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lingenfelter
I'm constantly hearing how bad the shifter in our cars are and to get the C6 shifter. But, I like the stock shifter in my C5Z as well. It fits perfectly in my hand and I like the way it looks better then the C6 shift ****. If I ever did one day change it, it would be for the Hurst shifter.
i should say that I have a B&M shifter under the stock ****. I agree with you though, I think the **** is one of those things that people are just used to hearing how terrible it is, so it influences their opinion on it.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:40 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

How much you bench? Lol

Dude, get a shifter, changes the whole interior look to go with the modern double dinn. I got big hands too. So got me a big ball haha

If i remember correctly its a 2 inch diameter. Cars in storage now...cant wait to take her out!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You have to do what you feel is right, and honestly I don't blame you for just going ahead and driving the car. Post up some pics when you get the bezel in and the car all put together.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

Noice I wanna do this...but it weighs too much reduced my stereo to the lightest single din Kenwood head, and one set of 6.5" component sets. Saved a few pounds, and sounds a little better than the stock blose
Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Georgies
How much you bench? Lol

Dude, get a shifter, changes the whole interior look to go with the modern double dinn. I got big hands too. So got me a big ball haha

If i remember correctly its a 2 inch diameter. Cars in storage now...cant wait to take her out!
not nearly enough for the fact that I've been practicing for a decade hahahaha.

The problem I have is that I like leather wrapped shift ***** and I haven't found one I LOVE yet.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

I tried to be good and wait until the new bezel came in to drive my car. Took everything apart in late February to make sure the radio worked and get everything wired up. A week went by and I started getting anxious to drive. Another week went by and I had run out of projects to start on to keep my vette urges at bay.

Came home in between classes to walk the dog today and the car just looked so sad. There was no resisting, I put everything I needed to drive back in, hooked up the battery, and "secured" the new radio in place.

Hate driving it like this because the car the car is too nice to be abused, but I couldn't help it.

Better to drive it a little "unfinished" than not at all.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 AM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts
Default .

What head unit is that? Looks great btw
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TMODcustoms
What head unit is that? Looks great btw
pioneer AVIC5200NEX. Honestly it works awesome aside from the 5 second start up process. Really well formatted user interface unlike my single din pioneer in my truck.

Get notified of new replies

To Couldn't wait any longer

Quick Reply: Couldn't wait any longer