Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone sold a car through ebay Motors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Has anyone sold a car through ebay Motors??

Mine is up in a couple places and the crazy calls you get are amazing.

Anyway, an ebay motors rep called me and they have something where they do a listing themselves, you provide pics and info, all for a flat fee.

As it was explained for bidders to go above $10k they have the bank involved. No final fee or anything like that, just that flat fee up front.

Anyone in the C5 family used this method to sell a car?

Did it work for you? Thoughts, tips??
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I've sold a bunch of cars using Ebay motors 1k+ feedback 15 years.

the way I do this is the same as regular sale: bank wire generally. Cashiers check if they insist but its from a local same-name bank as one around me like bank of america.

The ebay aspect shouldn't be part of the sale. Ebay is connecting you to the buyer but not handling the money. Don't use paypal either because as a seller you are basically naked for 180days the buyer can claim "not as described" on the 179th day and paypal will pull all 10k out of your account.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kingtal0n:
ArmchairArchitect (04-04-2018), El original (04-03-2018), Jeff T. (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Autotrader is the fastest way I sold my last 2 C4s - $60 for the ad. Craigslist is also a great way to sell.

Regardless, the one thing that baffles me are the crappy, unfocused, unimportant pictures people post when selling their car. No one cares about a close up of the radio buttons or the steering wheel or the unfocused night time rear tail lamp picture. Take good, clear, pictures that give the entire view of the dashboard, motor, interior seating, external paint, etc.

I can not tell you how many great cars get passed over because of the crappy pictures. If your car advertised everywhere, and is nice, clean, and unmolested, then the only reasons your car isn't selling is your price is too high or your pictures are not good enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mayor111:
ArmchairArchitect (04-04-2018), El original (04-03-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I couldn't agree more with the crappy pics!

The other thing I can't believe is how many don't have a vacuum!!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

I've hosted a couple for friends, just do it yourself, it might take a couple of auctions, set a reserve and you will get an idea of what people are willing to pay. As for payment cash in hand or direct bank transfer of funds. Also car and real estate auctions are not binding per ebay rules so be prepared for not paying winning bidders.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Regardless, the one thing that baffles me are the crappy, unfocused, unimportant pictures people post when selling their car. No one cares about a close up of the radio buttons or the steering wheel or the unfocused night time rear tail lamp picture. Take good, clear, pictures that give the entire view of the dashboard, motor, interior seating, external paint, etc.

I can not tell you how many great cars get passed over because of the crappy pictures. If your car advertised everywhere, and is nice, clean, and unmolested, then the only reasons your car isn't selling is your price is too high or your pictures are not good enough.
The incredibly ridiculous thing about people taking photographs of their cars also is it's not difficult and not time consuming. You don't have to be a pro. You're taking photos on a modern phone (most every. single. person. I know of has a phone made in the past five years) that likely has a very good camera.

Get your car outside on a good day, hold the camera landscape, take pictures of all four cardinal directions and four in between, get some good overall interior shots, get two good engine bay shots, get a good trunk shot, and bam!; you have a good start on a gallery to sell your car and it took less than five minutes to take the pictures and get them online. People sit on the toilet longer than it took to do all of that. About the only thing I would do further is a shot of each wheel and tire and a good shot of the dash. Again all pretty simple.

Even here on the forum many of the sales posts would go a lot better if really good photographs were taken. Plenty of sales threads in every section of the forum have posts that are like "can you take better photos?" or "can you take interior?/engine bay?/so-n-so?"
The following users liked this post:
El original (04-03-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Craigslist is where the scammers hang out.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I have sold at least 4 cars through ebay, with no problems....two of them went overseas...all had wire transfers of money . I list it and then drop the price $500 every 10 days until it sells.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my '80 on eBay and it went to Italy. The buyer had a friend stateside and he came to my house with an envelope full of cash. Traded the money for keys and title and off it went
Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM
digi2t
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 39 Posts

We sold our '64 Belair on Ebay a few years back. Starting price auction, cash only, local pickup only conditions. Sold it right away. The exception here was that the buyer was willing to pay a delivery charge, but it was only a 2 hour drive away. She contacted me, and we spoke on the phone before she bid, so we sussed each other out pretty well beforehand. Her husband was a long haul trucker, and she wanted to surprise him for his birthday. My old man and I made a day of it. Drove it out there, she looked it over, and paid us cash in hand, plus an extra $500 for the delivery.

As Velocity stated, just taking the time to take some quality pics is usually key. Take lots too. Nothing wrong with max'ing out the amount of pics you can upload. Better yet, take a shitload, and host them somewhere. Just add the link to the ad.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

one thing I forgot in my other post, the last car I sold ended up on 1/2 dozen other for sale web sites. They copied and pasted the pics and description from eBay.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:11 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
I couldn't agree more with the crappy pics!

The other thing I can't believe is how many don't have a vacuum!!
That part always baffles me too. I was looking at an old truck here locally on Craig's List, and he had pics with old pallets laying up against the truck. WTF!? anyway, I've sold a couple of motorcycles on there. No problem. They sent a check. I waited until it cleared, then released the bikes to them.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 03-22-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:03 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

If you sell your car or any other item cash only, make sure to check bills. Plenty of scams out there.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 03-23-2018 at 10:03 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (03-23-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 AM
acebowler1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About three years ago when I decided to upgrade my ride and bought my '02C5Z I sold my '75 'Vette on Craigslist in three weeks. The same kid came and checked it out twice and brought the cash on the second trip from Daytona Beach. I signed over the title and he was off to the tag office. Went real smooth and quicker than I thought it would since the '75 needed work.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

:lurk
Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 AM
Scarlett-73
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 107 Posts

I've sold a few cars on EBay, beware the percentage that they take on the sale. If you notice how many dealers post on eBay, they use it as an advertising medium and are hoping the buyers will call them directly and purchase the car outside of EBay. Most dealer cars never get to their reserve or auction end.
As for Craigslist, yes there are a few scammers out there, but you can spot them a mile away. Usually they claim they are military folks that have some restriction as to why they cant be there in person to see the car and want to send you a check for the title. Don't fall for that,...but at the same time don't be afraid of Craigslist either, I've bought two Corvettes on Craigslist and never met a scammer.
ArmchairArchitect (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:46 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I just remembered, I bought my first vette on ebay. I flew out to Scottsdale, Arizona, did the deal and drove it back home. Easy peasy.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone sold a car through ebay Motors??

Old 04-03-2018, 11:04 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Scarlett-73
I've sold a few cars on EBay, beware the percentage that they take on the sale. If you notice how many dealers post on eBay, they use it as an advertising medium and are hoping the buyers will call them directly and purchase the car outside of EBay. Most dealer cars never get to their reserve or auction end.
As for Craigslist, yes there are a few scammers out there, but you can spot them a mile away. Usually they claim they are military folks that have some restriction as to why they cant be there in person to see the car and want to send you a check for the title. Don't fall for that,...but at the same time don't be afraid of Craigslist either, I've bought two Corvettes on Craigslist and never met a scammer.
Same here. I bought my 2002 Z06 on Craigslist.
ArmchairArchitect (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:11 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlett-73
eBay does not take a percentage of vehicle sales, they charge a flat fee only if the car sells. And if eBay catches any seller doing business using eBay as ads they will be immediately suspended.

Craigslist usually sells junk.
Jeff T. (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had good luck on Craigslist with several newer, low mileage cars (not Corvettes). I agree with prior comments that good pictures and description are vital.
In both cases the cars sold fairly quickly to the first person that came out to look at the car. I did get some scam calls which I ended quickly!
Craigslist will normally bring in local buyers so they can check the cars out themselves and in my case, we drove to their bank to complete the pre-approved transaction.
If you have a car that is truly unique or extremely low mileage, Ebay may be a better option in order to bring in a wider audience.
Another good option is to put out the word to your local Corvette Car Clubs and display it in local car shows.

Quick Reply: Has anyone sold a car through ebay Motors??