Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do you decide to sell your C5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:41 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Sounds like the OP caught the turbo bug.

If you only only care about 1/4 mile times put a blower on the car and neither the German or the Japanese car will keep up.

You have a stock, 20 year old naturally aspirated engine complaining about brand new boosted cars being as fast/faster than it. Go apples to apples and throw 7psi at it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbgoodwin:
Dark Sarcasm (05-04-2018), Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

If you only only care about 1/4 mile times put a blower on the car and neither the German or the Japanese car will keep up.

You have a stock, 20 year old naturally aspirated engine complaining about brand new boosted cars being as fast/faster than it. Go apples to apples and throw 7psi at it.
I have considered this.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:25 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Here's where I drew the line when I sold my STi.

If tomorrow the motor blew up, or you found some minor but non-insignificant structural rust, would you repair it without blinking, or would you just sell it for a loss?

In my case I had taken my old car as far as I really wanted to, and while I enjoyed it, if something happened to it (popped motor) or if the weird paint imperfection I feared was the absolute tiniest beginning of tin-worm really was coming through, I would have dumped it for a loss, I knew it was time and ended up selling it on.

My only other recommendation is if you've lost the love and truly feel like it's gone, maybe it's best to move on. I ran into that with my first car. I freaking loved that stupid car and then I got a quote to de-rust it and it was outlandish. I got it in my head I was done and got everything in line to sell it off and upgrade. Things came up in the family and it didn't make sense to dump money upgrading the car, so I kept it and de-rusted it. I built the "dream" and in the end it was kinda meh for me because the love was gone.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:28 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

I started to feel that way this year as I've come into all sorts of issues getting it to run right coming out of storage. I've owned my '04 for 5-1/2 years. And this is the first time where I'm frustrated with it. I *think* it may be close to good now, but it has been a pain. I just want to drive it, enjoy it, shine it up, and show it off. But it hasn't even been detailed yet this year (weather hasn't helped). The exact words I said to my wife just a few days ago was how it was becoming a "chore" to keep up with the maintenance and cleaning for 3 vehicles in the household. I feel like the age of the car is bothering me, where I no longer feel it is simply turn the key and go. Always wondering if something is going to fail due to age and not mileage (only 24,000 miles). Not that the car is in bad shape by any means, it's just in my head. I think what has exasperated this was my wife's '09 Traverse just had the trans fail (luckily covered 100% under a recall). 3 cars in the house and 2 down at the same time was mentally exhausting. We then get an brand new Enclave loaner while the Traverse is getting repaired and felt so spoiled. We've never had a car with such nice amenities before. Now the gears are spinning...

If my car starts running well and I can get a few shows in this season I may change my mind. The sound of the exhaust does still put a huge grin on my face.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Not planning on selling mine. If I ever get the bug for more power, I’ll do a LS3 swap, or a LT1 swap if they ever make it work. Something about the curves and pop up headlights really appeal to me. If electric cars take over and gas engines are forced off the road, I’ll convert it to electric before I let go of it
Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 PM
chillin014
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m totally in the same boat. I find myself yearning for less powerful, more economical, luxurious and practical newer cars. On any given day I go through a roller coaster of being excited to drive my C5 to browsing online for a newer car. I’ve come to the conclusion that I would probably need to put $10k on top of my C5 sale price to get something worthy of upgrading for. As a frugal person that deters me enough from moving forward. However I really do feel a bit consumed with trying to make the car better than it is (bringing the tech up to current standards , maintenance, etc). I think a common thread that keeps Corvette guys loyal is the idea that we own something special. Whether that is true or not, I can’t decide. Some days I feel like I’ve got a unique car that is an exceptional performance machine and the thought of shaming some guy who just paid 60k for a hellcat makes me giddy. Other days it feels like a rather average old creaky Chevy with unnecessary inconveniences and honestly how many opportunities will I even have to show anyone up anyway.

I would trade my C5 for a Chevy SS or CTS-V without a second thought. But that’s getting into the $30k range and I have never considered spending that much on something that depreciates. So maybe that’s saying something.
The following users liked this post:
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

So much love for the C7 on here.

I'm that weird one not in love with them. I do fancy them in white, orange/black, and that dark charcoal grey, but I just don't think they are GOOD LOOKING cars. The tech, engineering and especially the drivetrains are modern marvels which I would love to have. I just can't do the car.

For modern production performance and price... Viper... even though they stopped making them.

I think the only car out there currently which could tempt me to someday part ways with the C5 would be a C6Z for the right price/condition. I still like C5 curves over C6 angles, but the Z is a beefy ride and the drivetrain is stout enough to save me some personal labor early on.

To each, their own.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

"One man's trash, is another man's treasure."

My 2001 C5, Z51 convertible had seen 3 or 4 previous owners and when I found it on a dealer's lot last December, it had: +97,000 miles, a dying battery, dry rotted 8 year old Michelin run flat all season tires, threw the "pull key wait 10 seconds" error message (and would shut off), the original convertible top, collapsed driver's seat cushion, broken radio tuning **** & etc.

Many here would have passed on this car at any price, most would say I should have my head examined and paid too much for it ($14,500 TTL).

But the car drove exceptionally well, looked great, had no leaks and the undercarriage was spotless.

A previous owner had obviously decided to sell this car not wishing to invest the +$2,500 that I ended up investing to get the car right. Here's my list:
$86 Costco battery, $15.50 (interior parts- radio ****, $8.50; plastic door panel $7 ), $47 LMC5 steering column lock bypass, $13 visor clip, $18.50 deck and trunk lid bump stops (not really necessary- the problem turned out to be old struts), $25 trunk struts, $1,300 (new top & passenger window track repair), $735 tires (BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S), $15 valve stem caps (NCM souvenir), $206 seat cushion (Ecklers-$86 part, $120 labor), $13 air compressor, $6 Green Slime flat repair, $16.95 deck lid bump stop and $18 deck lid struts.

A 17 year old car, now approaching 101,000 miles that I have sunk $17,000 into and it is not for sale for 2x that money. It is not just a good car, it is a great car.

Newer, more powerful and faster is not always better.

I suppose the time to sell a car, is when it needs to be someone else's car.

Last edited by wdcraig; 05-04-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The reason for thinking about selling a C5 varies for everyone. Some never get to that point, others reach it when the C5 becomes a maintenance nightmare or family situations change or even when the car just doesn't put a smile on your face when you get behind the wheel. Only you can decide whether a C5 is still the right car for you.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin

This on the inside, stock on the outside. Not gonna beat everyone but most stock newer cars and you will kind of have a sleeper. It’s a lot of fun!

Ask me how I know.......

Last edited by Forcedvert; 05-04-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Also bought my c5 to track and have fun with. I’ve never seen DDaryl post where he isn’t making some underhanded comment about anything other than a stock car. Your stock car sucks and nobody cares. They fall apart and nothing is really good enough for modern standards.

MANY people buy a vette for a fun toy.

That said, it’s hard to compare anything to a factory forced induction vehicle. Literally anything wakes them up so much, so your dollars go much further. It’s unfortunately very expensive to add boost to a vehicle - esp a corvette. When you do, they immediately make power past the level of stock components and overshadows brakes, chassis and suspension as well.

So if you don’t want to go down that rabbit hole,sell. Or buy another already blown - cheapest route.

Ive owned a multitude of factory turbo cars, it’s reallY hard to beat their rewards and as stated, they can feel much tighter than the wallowy c5.

I guess the grace is that the aftermarket support on the c5 allows you to turn it into a legit world class racer. You have to look at them as a blank slate but just starting out with much higher capabilities.
DDaaryl (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:28 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Good question...Honestly, I can think of 2 things that would make me decide instantaneously to sell.

1) Someone absolutely loves everything the car has and the mods done to it, and willing to ante up for a great retail price.

2) I wake up one day, and just decide that the car no longer is a passion for me to own, get tired of modding it, or even driving it. (That's a remote chance of happening), because I was in the market for an Aston Martin DB9 recently, until someone beat me to the punch on a particular one but, I had no intention of parting with the C5.

I think of the 14 years I've poured into this car owning it and I'm just not willing to part with it that easily and realistically take a huge loss. The Corvette lifestyle is a lot like a marriage, you have your good days and bad days...When the cons outweigh the pros, then it's time to move on. For me, I'm not even close to that.

Each individual has their own set of particular wants or needs. Only YOU can decide what suits your agenda best.

Good luck on your decision...
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 07:31 AM
parrottp
Advanced

Location: Smithtown New York/Naples Florida/Flint Twp. Michigan
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Willed to my Grandson

This C5 is my 3rd corvette. First it was the 64 coupe, built for top end to get me across the state fast. Then it was the 88 convertible, still owned and being restored. Now it's the 2001 convertible, softer ride, modern enough for cruising and with a trunk that has plenty of room for traveling. Yes there are maintenance issues, but I enjoy each repair challenge. There are no mods just a stock car with wheels and tires that give it a touch of my personality. After every time we take it out for an evening cruise along the gulf coast highway we always comment to each other how wonderful a car it is. I hope that my grandson feels the same love when he takes it over!
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:13 AM
chillin014
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
:
This on the inside, stock on the outside. Not gonna beat everyone but most stock newer cars and you will kind of have a sleeper. It’s a lot of fun!

Ask me how I know.......
do you actually find that people are surprised by a fast Corvette? I feel like most non- vette owners have no concept of how fast a C5 is or should be. I really miss the element of surprise I had in my actual sleeper cars of the past. I think that is what bothers me the most about the c5- if you’re better, it’s expected cause you’re in a Corvette, if you lose/are slower/etc. well then you’re some other guys trophy kill because a Corvette is like the performance benchmark.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm certainly not as young as I once was, with that being said, I'll get rid of my C5 when I can no longer get in & out of it.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:39 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

For the original poster it's time to sell your c5.

Boosted front or awd sedans with easy mods are your choice at least that's what it sounds like...

Time for you to sell the relatively stock corvette....based off of reading your original post...

Good luck....
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The reason for thinking about selling a C5 varies for everyone. Some never get to that point, others reach it when the C5 becomes a maintenance nightmare or family situations change or even when the car just doesn't put a smile on your face when you get behind the wheel. Only you can decide whether a C5 is still the right car for you.
Simply stated. Well stated. It is different for everyone. I love driving my C5 because it is a Corvette. It'll hang with most things on the road in real traffic situations, but yeah, at the drag strip it is slow by today's standards. But I don't care. I've never taken it to the drag strip and probably never will. It's a Corvette and I love to drive it! My problem is that there are so many OTHER Corvettes that I pine for...
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To At what point do you decide to sell your C5?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:39 AM
DirtRoad
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

Viewing the C5 worth, only as related to it's ability to outrun other cars, is pretty limiting. The nearest 70 MPH speed limit road is over an hour's drive away from my house. Curvy roads are almost non-existent in my area. I plan to keep my driver's license, so street racing is not going to happen. So what value does my C5 have that makes me want to keep it around?

It looks good. It is hard to beat as garage jewelry.

It makes me feel good when I drive it. (Probably because it makes me 20 pounds lighter, 2 inches taller, 15 years younger, and, in the right lighting conditions, my grey hair might be mistaken for blonde.)

Maintaining it gives me something satisfying to do.

It costs a LOT less than some of the street rods I have had in the past, and is a heck of a lot more enjoyable to drive. (Just ask my wife!!!)

In my opinion, there is a lot more to owning a C5 than raw performance. Otherwise, how can you explain the existence of car forums like some of the following?

Old Volkswagens
http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...?9-Air-cooled&

Old Miatas
https://forum.miata.net/vb/

Old Fieros
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro

Old Ford Falcons
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forums/ford-falcon.12/

I believe I'll be hanging on to my C5 for a while longer.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

When you aren't driving the C5 as much and finding yourself opting to take the other vehicles because the C5 just doesn't do it for you anymore then it's time to move on. There's a guy/gal out there whose dream has always been to own a Corvette and your C5 could make their dream become a reality. Sounds like it's time to let it go and move on to something else.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 01:51 PM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just keep it if you can. It’s one of things that if you get rid of it, you’ll wish you hadn’t of years down the road.
Roddy13 (05-07-2018)

Quick Reply: At what point do you decide to sell your C5?