Sponsored by:

My first track day

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 PM
plasticweld
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My first track day

I wrote an article for my local paper about my first track day at Watkins Glen. Most locals have no idea what a track day is, and what it consists of. The story was written for the average guy who wanted to do a track day, and wanted to know the details of the day and what to expect. I was originally going to do a track day with Hooked on Driving but we had heavy rain. I did not want to do my very first day in the pouring rain. The second day was canceled due to snow. The Nasa weekend was the following week.

I hope you enjoy the story...Bob

http://www.odessafile.com/sports-TrackDay2018.htm

Last edited by plasticweld; 05-15-2018 at 08:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by plasticweld:
Anthony F (05-15-2018), dadvan99 (05-15-2018), RIKKI Z-06 (05-15-2018), tdf01cycling (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:46 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for posting. My boss has talked me into this. Perfect timing.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,276 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice write up and sounds like you enjoyed yourself.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Excellent, i'm hoping to go to my first track day this year and at Watkins Glen no less. This article and video give a good idea of what i can expect, i'm glad you posted it.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 AM
plasticweld
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Homer, which days are you going? let me know, I live only two miles from the track.

I hoped that it might take a little of the anxiety out of the day for someone thinking about it. I can honestly say that both Hooked on Driving and Nasa were easy to work with. Also I would suggest that you don't be shy about posting something here in the Auto Cross and Racing section of the site. Many of our members do track days, and there are a number of them that are instructors. I had lined up a fellow member here as an instructor after reading some posts of some of the guys, and saw that they had been to the Glen many times. They answered my questions about gear and car prep and it really helped make the day and the experience really rewarding. My personal email is at the bottom of the story, If your new to the Glen area and want info about where to stay or eat or things for the family to do if you bring them don't be shy about hitting me up. I also have a truck and trailer if you run into mechanical problems there...you won't be stranded...Bob
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by plasticweld
Homer, which days are you going? let me know, I live only two miles from the track.

I hoped that it might take a little of the anxiety out of the day for someone thinking about it. I can honestly say that both Hooked on Driving and Nasa were easy to work with. Also I would suggest that you don't be shy about posting something here in the Auto Cross and Racing section of the site. Many of our members do track days, and there are a number of them that are instructors. I had lined up a fellow member here as an instructor after reading some posts of some of the guys, and saw that they had been to the Glen many times. They answered my questions about gear and car prep and it really helped make the day and the experience really rewarding. My personal email is at the bottom of the story, If your new to the Glen area and want info about where to stay or eat or things for the family to do if you bring them don't be shy about hitting me up. I also have a truck and trailer if you run into mechanical problems there...you won't be stranded...Bob
The plan is to go with SCDA on July 16-17. I'll be going to the 6 Hours in late June to help familiarize myself with the track, i'm hoping i can do a couple parade laps too. I really appreciate the hospitality, i have AAA in the event something bad happens though.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:28 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Looks like a washout at Millville for Fri - I was on th fence but no more )-:

https://njmp.trackrabbit.com/Event/D...d-710fdaebc531

Get notified of new replies

To My first track day

Quick Reply: My first track day