Targa Top Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 AM
RCToTheFuture
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Top Problems!

Hello CorvetteForums!

I have a sticky situation on my hands and I was hoping I could get some help on what repair options are available for this C5 targa top.

Some context, my father picked up a silver C5 last fall and in the garage the "tint" that was on the top (not sure if factory or aftermarket) peeled up and looked terrible. My dad removed the tint, and what was left was some adhesive all over the top. I took the vehicle out this weekend, and we discussed getting rid of the adhesive on the glass top. I got a bottle of goo-gone. some rags, and attempted to clean the adhesive off the top. Unforunately, I learned that the top is made from Lexan, which means the Goo-Gone turned the adhesive into this:

As you can see, it's just awful. Reading up on the lexan top, it appears I can sand and polish the top to a new shine. Would that still be possible with this adhesive/Goo-Gone mix on the top? I'd hate to have to buy a new top for my Dad at this point, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Awful is the word here. Gosh, that’s really terrible. Did you try mineral spirits? Sometimes that will get one of the vinyl adhesive glues off rather than the harsh stuff that melts plastic.
Regardless, I doubt the surface will be pristine. There is ‘other’ hope, tho’, especially for a silver car.
I saw a close friend today who had his targa wrapped with a 3M Carbon fiber vinyl and it looks terrific. All you need to do is sand the top smooth so no texture will show thru and it will look great. His was professionally done. I’ll ask him for a picture of it and post it here.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You can try and polish that out, but unsure how it would turn out. Here's some files that may give you some guidance. Otherwise, the option chasboy made about doing a vinyl wrap on the top should work.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
File Type: doc
Old 05-25-2018, 01:48 AM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If it’s not too deep you can sand and polish it but you need to know what you are doing. Might be able to sand it and put the tint back on. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

well....as luck would have it...you are not the first to refinish one of these

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-how-to.html

Last edited by pewter99; 05-25-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:31 AM
RCToTheFuture
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pewter99
well....as luck would have it...you are not the first to refinish one of these

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sh-how-to.html
I have been looking over the guide and I've never seen this level of damage to a top, which caused my apprehension. I guess I could start with a 600 grit and go up or down from there...

As for wrapping it, that's a no go. I proposed the idea and the decision was made that it would be too claustrophobic without the windowed top. So that's why I in a pickle.

I'll give sanding a whirl tomorrow evening, if it starts to work then I'll go from there. Just really wish I would have looked it up before touching it... live and learn right?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

As promised here’s pix of my friend’s roof:

Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RCToTheFuture
I have been looking over the guide and I've never seen this level of damage to a top, which caused my apprehension. I guess I could start with a 600 grit and go up or down from there...

As for wrapping it, that's a no go. I proposed the idea and the decision was made that it would be too claustrophobic without the windowed top. So that's why I in a pickle.

I'll give sanding a whirl tomorrow evening, if it starts to work then I'll go from there. Just really wish I would have looked it up before touching it... live and learn right?
Yes, and we all have been there. Has your Dad ever had a Corvette with the transparent top? I had a Z06 previous to this one and had no claustrophobia problems but that’s me. I was excited to get this car to ‘enjoy’ the clear roof. It came with the MidAmerica insert which is a nice way to block the heat that comes thru the roof. I say that because on a moderate day, sunny about 75 deg. I decided to take out the insert to experience the transparent top. I drove for about 10 minutes, stopped and reinstalled the insert, that’s how hot it got. Now the entire targa comes off on nice days, but the insert never. You will find that many, if not a majority have the same experience.
I wouldn’t start with 600. If you attack the glue directly it will gum up in seconds. I would go with 350 wet dry and hope the crap comes off, tho’ I would still try mineral spirits first. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Ramets
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
As promised here’s pix of my friend’s roof:

Lexan reportedly will release gasses when it gets really hot, which will in turn create bubbles under the wrap. This is why I found a painted top to wrap. I like the way it looks, so next I'll wrap the mirrors.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:15 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ramets
Lexan reportedly will release gasses when it gets really hot, which will in turn create bubbles under the wrap. This is why I found a painted top to wrap. I like the way it looks, so next I'll wrap the mirrors.
I’ve heard that’s possible but never seen it. Most good quality vinyls have air channels so that may offset that characteristic.
OP, I guess paint is also out of the question?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Wd40
Old 05-25-2018, 05:48 PM
RCToTheFuture
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chasboy
Yes, and we all have been there. Has your Dad ever had a Corvette with the transparent top? I had a Z06 previous to this one and had no claustrophobia problems but that’s me. I was excited to get this car to ‘enjoy’ the clear roof. It came with the MidAmerica insert which is a nice way to block the heat that comes thru the roof. I say that because on a moderate day, sunny about 75 deg. I decided to take out the insert to experience the transparent top. I drove for about 10 minutes, stopped and reinstalled the insert, that’s how hot it got. Now the entire targa comes off on nice days, but the insert never. You will find that many, if not a majority have the same experience.
I wouldn’t start with 600. If you attack the glue directly it will gum up in seconds. I would go with 350 wet dry and hope the crap comes off, tho’ I would still try mineral spirits first. Good luck!
Paint is for sure out of the question, he loves the clear top and doesn't drive it enough to be worried about the heat. Wisconsin usually stays cloudy near Lake Michigan, so no concerns on the heat.

I purchased a gallon mineral spirits and try that tonight. If I get no result, I picked up sandpaper from 350-2000 and a new sanding block. I'll follow the guide that was posted here and hopefully all goes well. Good little Memorial Day Project it looks like either way.

Appreciate the information and help!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

I've never heard of a tint on top, and worry that Goo-Gone or other agresive solvent will have eaten into the plastic. Sanding that out without losing profile may be beyond hope.
Several of the corvette supply houses, Eckler's, Corvette Central, Corvette America, sell refurbished or re-lensed transparent tops. Not cheap by any means, but already perfect. Also be sure to check out the parts for sale section, and possibly even post a 'WTB' to see if someone wants to part with theirs.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top Problems!

Quick Reply: Targa Top Problems!