Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] One more '01 Oil Problem Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 04:09 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One more '01 Oil Problem Question...

Guys I'm probably going to buy an 01 this week. I've found the car I want but its at a dealer. The car only has about 4000 miles and from what I can wrestle out of them has not had an oil problem.

For those of you that have had the problem...are there any indicators I might find on a car with only 4000 miles on it. If the problem exists I'd like to get it fixed BEFORE I buy it. I'm pretty sure I won't get the previous owner's name from this dealer and not even sure if the problem would have shown itsself with this few miles??? :confused:

Any comments are WELCOME :flag
Old 10-21-2002, 11:10 PM
eaZy06
Advanced

Default Re: One more '01 Oil Problem Question... (York67vette)

I have an '01 which is going through the consumption test now -- currently using about 1 quart per 800-1000 miles. Too much, I'll see what happens with my dealer.

The bad part is, that even IF you decide to buy an '02 there is still no guarantee that you will not have the same oil problem -- really!

See the thread I posted on the TSB with an 'A' -- addendum at the end. Some '02s do have issues with the rings -- not JUST the PCV TSB. If I were you I would buy it from a dealer who has a good rep and who, if there is a problem, is willing to do the ring replacement in the event that you have the problem. Roll the dice and hope that you don't have the problem.

The Z06 -- even if you get an oil burner, is still an AWESOME car! :yesnod:
--eaZy06
Old 10-22-2002, 02:49 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask the dealer to print out the service history for you on this car. Also see when the inservice date is so that you know when the factory warranty will run out.

The exhaust tips may be black if the car is a bad oil burner. You could take her out for a few hours and run her hard after its warmed up. Then check the back of the car and the tips for evidence of oil.

You should be looking at no more than $37k or less for this car IMO. I've seen 02s with less than 10K miles for $40k or under.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:57 AM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: One more '01 Oil Problem Question... (gmblack3)

Thanks again guys :seeya I'm trying to get it for 37 but today they won't budge off 38.9 :mad I know I can get a good one for 37, maybe somebody else will pay their price :eek:

Sounds like if the problem is there and there's warranty left GM is paying dealers to fix it :)
Old 10-22-2002, 09:51 AM
ZO6LS6
Drifting

York,
PASS on this one, get an '02 for 2-3 k more....if not NOW, in a couple of months..........WINTER is upon us......... :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To One more '01 Oil Problem Question...

Quick Reply: [Z06] One more '01 Oil Problem Question...