Sponsored by:

Thoughts After Two Weeks With My First Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Thoughts After Two Weeks With My First Vette

Well, I've had it two weeks and driven it a lot and I have formed some impressions of my first Vette (and first GM product)...I thought I would share some of these to give you the view of an outsider who was never a huge fan of these cars.

first, the good.

1. The car rides and drives beautifully. Pedal effort is just right. The shifter is great. Steering feels precise without being overly heavy. Best of all, the suspension is great...just enough compliance to make it ride like a sport sedan, but still razor shsrp in the twisties.

2. Very comfortable once you're settled it...I'm 6'2 and 320 and I'm perfectly comfy.

3. Top operation is ridiculously easy and fast. I can get the top up and latched in 15 seconds. The only thing that would make it better is if you could raise it from inside the car.

4. Its easy to wash....coming from a sequoia full size suv, that's a big deal.

5. Even with "only" 350 horses, its so light that it pulls like a freight train.

6. I know that looks are subjective, but in black and with the top down it is really a stunningly beautiful car.

Now the bad...

1. What the hell is the deal with tha f***** cup holder? Seriously! That right there tells me that some higher up said it had to have a cup holder, and a frustrated designer gave us what amounts to a lidded coin holder.

2. Every idiot on the road wants to race you! From women in SUVs, to people in ratty fart-canned imports. I can't take a single drive without someone stomping the gas at a stoplight.

3. The third degree burns on my right thigh are a constant reminder that I need to lose weight.

4. Apparently owning a corvette does not mean that you will die by suffocating under a mountain of panties...who knew?

5. I'm already saving my pennies to get my seats recovered....the stock leather is...well...kinda lacking.

6. Seriously...that cupholder makes me irrationally angry!

anyway...I believe I've made a good purchase.

Last edited by 70RT440; 07-12-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

For #3, I presume you're speaking of tunnel heat. An insulated tunner shield will DRASTICALLY help. I've run an Elite Engineering Thermal Abs on my car since 2006 and even with the turbos it doesn't let excess heat transfer in.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
For #3, I presume you're speaking of tunnel heat. An insulated tunner shield will DRASTICALLY help. I've run an Elite Engineering Thermal Abs on my car since 2006 and even with the turbos it doesn't let excess heat transfer in.
I was 'WAAY too cheeep for that... pull the carpet away and install some styrofoam sheeting. If you take the seat out, 1) it's way easier, and 2) you can make a template of the tunnel wall and cut your styrofoam sheets to fit. There's room for at least 1" of styrofoam. Unless you line the flat part of the tunnel (under the center console), don't put any chocolate candy in the storage space!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since I haven't put nav in yet I use the cup holder to hold my tablet for navigation. Bought one of those stalks that fits in it. Not ideal but I like the big screen compared to a little GPS. Other than that its pretty useless.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

My 2011 GS has the same worthless cup holder. It had to be an after thought. Oh ****, we need to add a cup holder to the car!

Get used to the red light bandit challenges. You're driving the top of the food chain of American production cars and the stories these wannabees are going to tell their buddies,

"yea, I tried to run this guy in a vette, but he didn't want any part of me".

Best one for me so far is some kid in a turbo VW "something" that has a license plate that says "LOLV8". The kid really thinks he has a serious car, and he was literally busting neck veins when I wouldn't take up his challenge. I ran into him another time and he wanted to know why I wouldn't race him, if I was afraid.

I told him no, but why should I race him when "we both know your car won't run 175, and mine will".

crickets were chirping after that.

Enjoy your new ride and drive that baby!!

Last edited by Mcrider; 07-13-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
My 2011 GS has the same worthless cup holder. It had to be an after thought. Oh ****, we need to add a cup holder to the car!

Get used to the red light bandit challenges. You're driving the top of the food chain of American production cars and the stories these wannabees are going to tell their buddies,

"yea, I tried to run this guy in a vette, but he didn't want any part of me".

Best one for me so far is some kid in a turbo VW "something" that has a license plate that says "LOLV8". The kid really thinks he has a serious car, and he was literally busting neck veins when I wouldn't take up his challenge. I ran into him another time and he wanted to know why I wouldn't race him, if I was afraid.

I told him no, but why should I race him when "we both know your car won't run 175, and mine will".

crickets were chirping after that.

Enjoy your new ride and drive that baby!!
I had a ton of people trying to race me daily at stop lights with my 99 when it was stock and quiet. After I did headers, cam, and corsa xtreme I guess people are just thinking, idk what the hell that thing has, but I'm good brah. Haven't had a single person try me in the past eight months since having this setup. Might be the best part of having these upgrades.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I’m presently surprised at the positive review of many of the aspects of the C5 . You don’t have to read here much to find a high percentage think the entire interior is crap especially the seats. The stock shifter is blasted regularly, I assume that’s what you have. Most will give the C5 good marks for handling but find the ride unacceptable stock. Anyway, I’m glad your biggest complaint is the cup holder! By comparison my Chevelle doesn’t even have a cup holder.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Newell0921
I had a ton of people trying to race me daily at stop lights with my 99 when it was stock and quiet. After I did headers, cam, and corsa xtreme I guess people are just thinking, idk what the hell that thing has, but I'm good brah. Haven't had a single person try me in the past eight months since having this setup. Might be the best part of having these upgrades.
My car is heavily modified, and all I get at traffic stops are
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
I’m presently surprised at the positive review of many of the aspects of the C5 . You don’t have to read here much to find a high percentage think the entire interior is crap especially the seats. The stock shifter is blasted regularly, I assume that’s what you have. Most will give the C5 good marks for handling but find the ride unacceptable stock. Anyway, I’m glad your biggest complaint is the cup holder! By comparison my Chevelle doesn’t even have a cup holder.
It was a car that ran with the V-8 Ferraris of the day and cost almost exactly 100,000 dollars less. Compromises had to be made. Leather quality is a better compromise than performance. Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

You have to make compromises in consideration of what the vehicle actually is. If the Corvette cost 100 grand when it was new, yeah, I would be righteously pissed at the quality of interior materials.

As for the ride quality...drive an early C4 sometime...the C5 is plush by comparison. In any case, I once had the opportunity to drive an early 80s Countach. It rode like a buckboard...and the build quality was absolute garbage.

As for the shifter...if I had any complaints about it it's that it's a little on the big side, Yeah, it looks utilitarian, but utilitarian is good.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette

No one is racing me either......or I just can’t tell
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 70RT440
It was a car that ran with the V-8 Ferraris of the day and cost almost exactly 100,000 dollars less. Compromises had to be made. Leather quality is a better compromise than performance. Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

You have to make compromises in consideration of what the vehicle actually is. If the Corvette cost 100 grand when it was new, yeah, I would be righteously pissed at the quality of interior materials.

As for the ride quality...drive an early C4 sometime...the C5 is plush by comparison. In any case, I once had the opportunity to drive an early 80s Countach. It rode like a buckboard...and the build quality was absolute garbage.

As for the shifter...if I had any complaints about it it's that it's a little on the big side, Yeah, it looks utilitarian, but utilitarian is good.
i agree with your assessment and comments about C4’s. I know a lot of people love them, but over the years I drove 3 of them with the hopes it might be the one but the ride killed it for me every time. The last one was in the early 90’s when a local dealer had a beautiful red on red 89 convertible with a hardtop, but the drive just didn’t do it for me.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Newell0921
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly. That's all I get and the occasional request for a rev.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM
0DEITIM
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 70RT440
Well, I've had it two weeks and driven it a lot and I have formed some impressions of my first Vette (and first GM product)...I thought I would share some of these to give you the view of an outsider who was never a huge fan of these cars.

first, the good.

1. The car rides and drives beautifully. Pedal effort is just right. The shifter is great. Steering feels precise without being overly heavy. Best of all, the suspension is great...just enough compliance to make it ride like a sport sedan, but still razor shsrp in the twisties.

2. Very comfortable once you're settled it...I'm 6'2 and 320 and I'm perfectly comfy.

3. Top operation is ridiculously easy and fast. I can get the top up and latched in 15 seconds. The only thing that would make it better is if you could raise it from inside the car.

4. Its easy to wash....coming from a sequoia full size suv, that's a big deal.

5. Even with "only" 350 horses, its so light that it pulls like a freight train.

6. I know that looks are subjective, but in black and with the top down it is really a stunningly beautiful car.

Now the bad...

1. What the hell is the deal with tha f***** cup holder? Seriously! That right there tells me that some higher up said it had to have a cup holder, and a frustrated designer gave us what amounts to a lidded coin holder.

2. Every idiot on the road wants to race you! From women in SUVs, to people in ratty fart-canned imports. I can't take a single drive without someone stomping the gas at a stoplight.

3. The third degree burns on my right thigh are a constant reminder that I need to lose weight.

4. Apparently owning a corvette does not mean that you will die by suffocating under a mountain of panties...who knew?

5. I'm already saving my pennies to get my seats recovered....the stock leather is...well...kinda lacking.

6. Seriously...that cupholder makes me irrationally angry!

anyway...I believe I've made a good purchase.
Hi,

Tim for Design Engineering Inc. (DEI) here. Congrats on your first Corvette! To help with the tunnel heat we offer a complete Tunnel Shield Kit under our part number 050530. Check it out at http://designengineering.com/corvett...tunnel-shield/ You can purchase this kit from Corvette Central or Zip Products. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have?

Thanks, Tim

Last edited by DEITIM; 07-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I think the biggest factor in tunnel heat is the cats. I have HF cats, and I never notice any excessive tunnel heat.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:52 PM
moncal90
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats on the new to you C5!! I have to agree when I bought mine new in 2003 I knew the cupholder was a definite after thought and joked with the dealer about it as well. My wife still comments on it when we take long road trips with the vette. It's definitely a running joke. Enjoy the car!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 PM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

I own a 2001 6M convertible- I rarely use the cupholder (or the stereo) for that matter. I'm too busy enjoying driving the car- meaning my left hand is on the wheel and my right hand is off the wheel only when shifting! With that said for long trips, I have a Corvette logo travel mug (no handle), that fits into the shallow cup holder perfectly and has never come out.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree that the cup holder is severely lacking, but I make due. I realize that the interior could have better quality, but I would rather have acceptable materials over ones that would have added a significant price hike to the car and may have resulted in less emphasis on the performance side of things.

There aren’t too many sports cars with the C5s capability, looks, fuel economy and fun factor for the money.
The following users liked this post:
JWM (07-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts After Two Weeks With My First Vette

Old 07-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Glad you're enjoying your ride!
I agree with Fastbird; the Elite Engineering tunnel plate will add insulation and will also add chassis rigidity. TPS Motorsports also has a Tunnel Plate with a Thermal Heat Shield I imagine the DEI unit above will do the same, too.
And zeevette has a good point about the heat of the cats.
Keep on driving!

Last edited by Route99; 07-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Get a cupholder from the National Corvette Museum. Splurge - get the one that holds two cups.

If you are driving a manual with the stock shifter, do yourself a favor and get an MGW or a C6 shifter. You'll be glad you did.

The c5 is a great car. Glad you enjoy it.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 AM
Arvalo
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

I think the biggest factor in tunnel heat is the cats. I have HF cats, and I never notice any excessive tunnel heat.
same, I bought my FRC with high flow cats already installed. I’ve done a couple 1-2 hour cruises in the hot Virginia sun. I’ve noticed no issue with tunnel heat whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Thoughts After Two Weeks With My First Vette