Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses their C5 for trips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Have driven C5s across the US from the west coast to the gulf coast and the east coast several times. Great long distance cars as long as you pack light and well.
Thousands of Corvette owners of all years travel from the west coast, as well as all other areas, to Bowling green every five years or so on the Corvette Caravans. This is a very cool experience to travel in huge packs of C1-C7 Corvettes for many days.

The following users liked this post:
El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:42 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
My ONLY qualm about taking a long trip with a C-5, is the lack of a spare tire.
Carry an AAA or similar card and a cell phone.
El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Not only can you pack a lot of stuff into the rear area, but it's my economy car for long trips, getting 30+ mpg while comfortably humming along at 75-80 mph (don't tell anyone I ever do that).
The only thing you really need on a long trip may be an iPod plugged into the radio or Sirius XM because you very frequently run out of radio reception or because some of those back country stations are not worth listening to,
Old 08-12-2018, 01:48 PM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Christmas tree shopping

Bring a spare 👍🏼

Not many places I won’t take mine. Looking for a trailer hitch so I can take my dirtbike as well

Last edited by tjschraf; 08-12-2018 at 01:53 PM.
CampinC5 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Carry an AAA or similar card and a cell phone.
People have been saying that for YEARS....and I don't really buy it. Over the years, I've had several flat tires, one was because some a-hole let the air out of one of my tires, while I was at a theater, on a date. The other times I had flats, it was after hitting debris on the road, which did serious damage to the tire.

Who wants to be sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck...then hope the truck can safely pick up your car....and get you to someplace that might have a tire of the proper size for your car?? For me, no thanks. I have Michelin "run-flats", and stick within 80-100 miles of home.
El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM
GroundFlyer
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

On these road trips the biggest concern for me has been overheating in stopped traffic. Well, we were on US 70 just north of Dayton Ohio when traffic came to halt. At that time the cooling temp was at 194* and air temp was 86*. We then creeped along riding the brakes. It took and hour and forty minutes to go five miles. The highest the temp went was 214*. A/C was still on. Last fall as a preventative measure I replaced all 3 cooling fan relays costing about $27 from Amazon and vacuumed and blew out the radiator and AC condenser, installed a new thermostat and flushed the system.
What high temps do you see in stop and go traffic?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

even though it's becoming more of an almost-track build, i love road-tripping my car! been all across the country in it.
the seats're way more comfortable, and it gets almost twice the gas mileage that my cammed DD truck does.
CorvetteBrent (08-17-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 04:35 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Your car is operating normally, you are the one panicking.
Fans have 2 speeds. Low and high speed. The PCM command low speed fans ON at 226 and OFF at 217 and high speed fans ON at 235 and OFF at 219.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrlmd:
CorvetteBrent (08-17-2018), El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 07:48 PM
GroundFlyer
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Your car is operating normally, you are the one panicking.
Fans have 2 speeds. Low and high speed. The PCM command low speed fans ON at 226 and OFF at 217 and high speed fans ON at 235 and OFF at 219.
Appreciate the info. I can just sit back and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:26 AM
golfnutts
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

In April, went on a 4000 mile trip from Kansas to New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and back to Kansas visiting every Military Base I was stationed at during my career. Even hit snow in Vail Co. 2003 A/E ran great without run flats, just carried the proper equipment if anything did happen.

The following 2 users liked this post by golfnutts:
av8or (08-20-2018), El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

People have been saying that for YEARS....and I don't really buy it. Over the years, I've had several flat tires, one was because some a-hole let the air out of one of my tires, while I was at a theater, on a date. The other times I had flats, it was after hitting debris on the road, which did serious damage to the tire.

Who wants to be sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tow truck...then hope the truck can safely pick up your car....and get you to someplace that might have a tire of the proper size for your car?? For me, no thanks. I have Michelin "run-flats", and stick within 80-100 miles of home.
While I get your concern, you're missing out on a great road trip car. I love road trips and my wife tolerates them, so it's a great way to see the country and a Corvette is one of the very best machines for it. I had a flat caused by debris just a couple weeks ago, and the run flats allowed me to drive to a tire store. And I still removed them and have Bridgestone pole positions on now. That was the first flat tire I've had in at least 20 years and it cost me three hours on a Sunday afternoon, even with the run flats. I've only had Corvettes for the past few years, but I have put thousands of miles on them in road trips without a problem. Life is too short to worry about things that are such a small percentage of the overall enjoyment.
El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 AM
mark4cam
Racer

Originally Posted by golfnutts
In April, went on a 4000 mile trip from Kansas to New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and back to Kansas visiting every Military Base I was stationed at during my career. Even hit snow in Vail Co. 2003 A/E ran great without run flats, just carried the proper equipment if anything did happen.
Fantastic pictures! And Thank You for your service!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm currently in northern Wisconsin with my Vette, about 450 miles from home.

Only problem is I discovered that the CV boot on the left output shaft (axle) ripped and leaked grease on rear wheel, unbalancing it. This caused a vibration in the ride at highway speed.

A local guy replaced it, all is well again.
CorvetteBrent (08-17-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 AM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

So...... you have run flats and still worry about not being able to find a tire shop within 50 miles to drive to if you were to get a flat.....? Paranoid much?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Originally Posted by GroundFlyer
On these road trips the biggest concern for me has been overheating in stopped traffic. Well, we were on US 70 just north of Dayton Ohio when traffic came to halt. At that time the cooling temp was at 194* and air temp was 86*. We then creeped along riding the brakes. It took and hour and forty minutes to go five miles. The highest the temp went was 214*. A/C was still on. Last fall as a preventative measure I replaced all 3 cooling fan relays costing about $27 from Amazon and vacuumed and blew out the radiator and AC condenser, installed a new thermostat and flushed the system.
What high temps do you see in stop and go traffic?
Earlier in the Summer during a heatwave my temps got up to 219. No problems at all. 214 is completely normal if sitting in traffic and pretty common.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I take mine on quite a few road trips yearly. Just got back from an 11 hour trip a couple of weekends ago.

My six speed actually gets comparable gas mileage to my daily driver, so I can easily justify + 32 MPGs averages for road trips. I run conventional tires and just carry a 12v compressor. Unless you're in Death Valley most tire service shops won't be +30 minutes away, even in the rural-ist of rural areas where I live. I do my checks before I leave out - fluids, pressures, etc - and just drive.
El original (08-19-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I just came back from a bachelor party weekend 3 hrs 15 mins away from me in Saratoga Springs, NY - as others have mentioned the lack of a spare is a concern, but I just try & avoid driving the car places where I'd have a high liklihood of getting a flat for starters. On the other hand I've had a slow leak 2x so far & didn't even notice initially since the car still drives down the road fine even w/ 15 pounds in the tires - you just chew through em mighty quick!!

If I was taking extended trip multiple stops I still wouldn't consider a spare as great peace of mind we have different size wheels front to rear & in the event you had a real blowout in a C5 there would probably be more to worry about damage-wise than just a bad tire.

If I lived on the west coast or deep south where I could justify driving the car year round I'd probably swap to a squared 18" wheel setup for this very reason.

I think its a perfect long weekend/week long roadtrip vehicle provided its the right season & you're not planning on spending a ton of time in congested city traffic or unpaved gravel roads - but for long stretches of well maintained tarmac & windy country roads & routes I can't think of much better!

Get notified of new replies

To Who uses their C5 for trips?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by naturaldisaster3
So...... you have run flats and still worry about not being able to find a tire shop within 50 miles to drive to if you were to get a flat.....? Paranoid much?
As much as I hate to get involved in one of these tire debates, but every once in a while, I allow myself to get involved in one. So, I'll simply ask one pertinent question....how many tire shops do YOU know of, that have IN STOCK, a 275/40/18 tire, RF or non RF, as well as a tire machine that can handle a run-flat tire?
av8or (08-20-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:48 PM
mark4cam
Racer

As much as I hate to get involved in one of these tire debates, but every once in a while, I allow myself to get involved in one. So, I'll simply ask one pertinent question....how many tire shops do YOU know of, that have IN STOCK, a 275/40/18 tire, RF or non RF, as well as a tire machine that can handle a run-flat tire?
Happened to me two weekends ago, on a Sunday afternoon. I found a place that was 1) actually open on Sunday afternoon and 2) had two 295/35-19 tires in stock. Truthfully I was shocked, but it's true. Still cost me three hours on a day I didn't plan on, but everything worked out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 AM
golfnutts
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mark4cam
Fantastic pictures! And Thank You for your service!
Thank you for your support and it was a great trip all by myself without the wife and grand kids

Quick Reply: Who uses their C5 for trips?