Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone come back to a C5 after owning a C6 or C7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,170 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Default Anyone come back to a C5 after owning a C6 or C7?

Had 4 C5s from street car vert to fully caged racecar Z06. After nearly a year with my C7 Z51 I'm considering another C5 Z06, but this time a street legal trackday car. The C7 is nice and capable, but it's heavy, can't fit very large tires, it has a tall profile due to Euro pedestrian regs (I love the low hood line on a C5). The new production methods used of lighweight SMC and fusion welded plastic stink IMO. The C5 is just a durable car.

The pros to the C7 are that the driveline and brakes are truly track ready. Car is robust and has coolers and good brakes from the get go. I would have to modify the C5Z with cooling, SKF hubs, bushings, etc. etc.

My wife thinks I'm crazy....

EDIT - Oh and I miss the popup headlights... all thought I'd add proper projector HIDs to them this time.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 08-16-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I'll trade you my 99 coupe
Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by acuevo
I'll trade you my 99 coupe
2002-2003 Quicksilver Z06s only
Old 08-16-2018, 05:51 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

2002-2003 Quicksilver Z06s only
Darn! Haha. Seriously though, I think your wife may be right! Love my C5 but can't wait to get my hands on a C7 Z51 in 5 or 6 years.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM
JanMan99
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Went back to my QS '01 Z06 from an '06 Z51......wasn't a bad car......I just feel more comfortable in the C5 Z06.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:57 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Loved my C5z for years then bought a C6z, and then bought my old C5z back 8 years later with just 500 more miles than I sold it with! Sold the C6z.

Never selling the C5z again.

The following 2 users liked this post by ~Josh:
ArmchairArchitect (08-21-2018), Lingenfelter (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought a 2002 coupe in 2006. Then fell in love with the C6 GS and traded the '02 for an '11 GS coupe. But I still had a love for the C5 and was fortunate enough to come across a beautiful '02 coupe last fall ..... so bought it. I still have the GS too. Love them both. They each have their own personalities. The GS has great power and is the preferred 'top off' car. But the C5 is the ride of choice for long trips.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 PM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

I've got'em both. She wanted a warrantied "emergency" back-up vehicle to her daily driver; since I do all the cross-country driving, I wanted something that handled like our modded c5z06. I would have traded in the z06, but I'd have lost 70 cents on the dollar, so I kept it.

I'm glad it worked out that way. The only real negatives are the extra insurance and no warranty. For long drives (say, over 6-8 hours) there's no denying the c7 is more comfortable. Mine is a z51 w/MRC; with all the electronic nanny options it easily rides better (and easier) than the c5. However, I miss the "seat of the pants" ride and handling. I'm don't "drive" the c7, it responds to me most excellently and I push those capabilities because they're there. I drive the c5--any mistake I make I'll own. It's a much more visceral ride. For short intrastate rides, I prefer it. Then again, it's modded to my desires and I'm content now with all the changes. Stereo done the way I like, headers, lightweight flywheel, Tic master cylinder really tightened up the clutch pedal, 4.10 rear, headers, PFADT shocks and sways, a tune, E-code headlights are better than the c7's at night... it's just more predictable and to me, definitely more fun. Crap for gas mileage vs the c7, but I don't care about that.

Sorry, I got distracted-- would I trade my c5 z06 for a c7... that's a tough one. Not if I limited my driving to staying within the state. (that in-force warranty makes the c7 appealing for cross-country trips) Drop another 2-4Gs for Corbeau seats (or whomever) and not even "comfort" would sway me to the c7 then, damn the warranty. But if you're asking about a bone stock c5 z06, it'd be no comparison. I'd quit the c5 in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM
My1stONE
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Love My C5!!!

I purchased my C5 for many reasons but I'm a lover of pop-up headlights. Too me a Corvette has pop-up lights, period! I grew up in the 60's&70's and loved the Corvette's at a very young age. Those pop-up lights were space age stuff!!! Besides being a great handling and running car those lights say Corvette from a mile away!!! Something the newer ones sadly can't say.
The following 3 users liked this post by My1stONE:
Pounder (08-17-2018), RapidC84B (08-17-2018), The Rabbi (08-20-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:06 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I think the answer here is to raid my daughter's college fund and buy a C5 vert to keep in addition to the C7 coupe
Sportsman2003 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

... After nearly a year with my C7 Z51 I'm considering another C5 Z06, but this time a street legal trackday car. ...
I think the answer here is to raid my daughter's college fund and buy a C5 vert to keep in addition to the C7 coupe
In my driving experience, these two sentences contradict each other. I've driven a base c5 coupe, which I'd say prolly rides more like a vert than a z06--if they aren't indistinguishable between the two--base c5 coupe akin to the vert. The base c5 felt like a luxury car to me; there's no "sport" ride to it at all compared to its' c5 z06 flagship. Ifn I was to advise a novice about the differences, I think a c5 vert would need another $10Gs in suspension/drivetrain/engine mods to approach a stock c5 z06, and a stock c5 z06 would be a big disappointment after riding a c7 z51. But with your experience, I know you're no novice. Does the vert appeal because of its' "openness", because it sure can't be the visceral ride it offers. There ain't none, if the base coupe is anything to judge by.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dork
In my driving experience, these two sentences contradict each other. I've driven a base c5 coupe, which I'd say prolly rides more like a vert than a z06--if they aren't indistinguishable between the two--base c5 coupe akin to the vert. The base c5 felt like a luxury car to me; there's no "sport" ride to it at all compared to its' c5 z06 flagship. Ifn I was to advise a novice about the differences, I think a c5 vert would need another $10Gs in suspension/drivetrain/engine mods to approach a stock c5 z06, and a stock c5 z06 would be a big disappointment after riding a c7 z51. But with your experience, I know you're no novice. Does the vert appeal because of its' "openness", because it sure can't be the visceral ride it offers. There ain't none, if the base coupe is anything to judge by.
The idea is the have a trackday Vette and a cruiser vette. The logical thing to do would be to have a C5Z trackday car and a C7 convertible auto for a cruiser. However, I already have a C7 Z51 that I have put a lot of miles on and set it up for trackday use. Would make more sense to get a C5 vert cruiser vs. the other way around. However, starting from scratch the C5 trackday car and C7 vert is more logical.

I love C5 Z06s and have had 2 of them. But I also love Nassau Blue as the best Corvette color of all time.
dork (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM
My1stONE
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C5's or?????????

Originally Posted by dork

Face it we're never satisfied with our car's. We'll always want to change something about the looks or the sound, maybe a color change or a two tone interior? And let us not forget the engine!!! The possibilities are endless. I'm guilty of this except I'm not doing my usual on my C5. I'm so happy with the look, color (millennium yellow with a 2yr old perfect repaint) and even the interior is good except for some new foam for the drivers seat. I've replaced a few items on the interior, plastic things that were broken or warped. And the steering wheel because the original owner who is the person I bought it from must have worn a lot of rings because the steering wheel and shifter **** were cut and skuffed. I bought a like new replacement for$75 for the wheel. The knop is next. The Wheels are great but I put on all new lug nuts as the original ones were all scarred. I think that Chevy did a great job and I think I'm going to leave everything stock, or as close to it as possible, at least visually inside and out. BUT I'm OCD and the littlest things that aren't perfect drive me nuts! Anyway I get looks and thumbs up everywhere I go. And I've only had the top down one time! (I live in Southern Arizona) Fall and winter is drop top time. But to be honest I love the chopped top look of the black vert top and yellow bottom. It looks like its raked and chopped. I didn't buy the Z06 because I couldn't find it in the colors I wanted and after waiting for so long this vert came to me with a offer I couldn't refuse. I couldn't stop thinking about it after I saw it all shinny and bright, bought it the following day and so far it has been AWESOME. It's almost 100% stock except for the twin air filter intake, Bilsteins and some other suspension work the 70 year young original owner did! I don't plan on changing anything else, Of course if I need to replace the exhaust I might as well put on headers and possibly a cam to go with them, maybe different heads to go with the cam ect, ect, ect.......face it we're all just big kids who'll probably never be satisfied with our toys i mean car's. No the C5'S are some of the best looking and performing vetts so far. And I'm talking about the "Newer Vetts" not the C3 or the C2 in that statement. I feel lucky enough to have found a nice example of a C5 and a 50th anniversary one at that. I'll probably never get rid of this one unless it's for the right color and optioned C3. Anyway no matter which one you have, get or just lust after I hope that everyone is as happy and satisfied as I am about my little C5 very!
PS: I'm not dissing any of the different styles of C5, 6 or 7 after all it would be terrible if we didn't have a choice! I have probably totally confused you about whatever it is we were talking about! But as long as it's about Corvette's who cares?

Last edited by My1stONE; 08-17-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Missed word
Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Stamanti
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran a '15 Z51 last year on track. This year I am running an '02 Z06.

I am faster with the C5Z. The ability to run 315 square would require a lot of work on a C7, but is ready to go on the C5. Massive advantage to the C5z in my book because of that.

To set up the C5Z for track use I put in a dewits radiator with EOC, Turn 1 steering rebuild, DRM brake ducts, DRM Bilsteins, DRM stainless steel brake cylinders, Brey Krause harness bar and anchor points, Corbeau Evolution X seats,
LG motorsports G2 sway bars, LG Spherical Bearings, Improved Racing trap doors, Straub trunion upgrade, Katech belt tensioner, C5R timing chain, Blueprinted oil pump, Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace and rocker protectors, forgestar 18x11s and 315 nt01s. I wanted to set up the car once and do it right. It has been dead reliable on track this year.

Other people could probably faster in the C7 Z51, but I prefer how the C5Z is on track. I purchased the C5 in November of '17, and was on track with all that work done in April of '18.

C7 made a better street car, but everyone knows that already.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Lingenfelter
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stamanti

I am faster with the C5Z. The ability to run 315 square would require a lot of work on a C7, but is ready to go on the C5. Massive advantage to the C5z in my book because of that.

To set up the C5Z for track use I put in a dewits radiator with EOC, Turn 1 steering rebuild, DRM brake ducts, DRM Bilsteins, DRM stainless steel brake cylinders, Brey Krause harness bar and anchor points, Corbeau Evolution X seats,
LG motorsports G2 sway bars, LG Spherical Bearings, Improved Racing trap doors, Straub trunion upgrade, Katech belt tensioner, C5R timing chain, Blueprinted oil pump, Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace and rocker protectors, forgestar 18x11s and 315 nt01s. I wanted to set up the car once and do it right. It has been dead reliable on track this year.

Other people could probably faster in the C7 Z51, but I prefer how the C5Z is on track. I purchased the C5 in November of '17, and was on track with all that work done in April of '18.

Helps that the C5Z is close to 400 pounds lighter.
ArmchairArchitect (08-21-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want a C7 Z06 soon, , never liked C6 design, but my C5 is going nowhere. My C5 has my blood running through it, literally, over the last nearly 20 years I have had my fair share of wrenching cuts and gashes. My C5 is a part of me. I have been looking at storage lifts, so I can stack my Vettes.

Last edited by Humy; 08-17-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone come back to a C5 after owning a C6 or C7?

Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stamanti

Yep... C5Z runs 315s square on stock rear wheels with mods. I can run 295s square on my Z51, but not 315s.

As for weight.... my Z51 C7 with 5/8 tank of gas was 3380 at VIR. So it's right around 300lbs not 400z published curb weights are 3118 for the C5Z and 3442 for a Z51.

But remember the C7 has a dry sump, big radiator, robust driveline, and trans/diff coolers stock, oh and good big brakes too. My z51 needs no cooling or brake or driveline mods to run hard on track. It's truly made for it. I added Pfadt sways, Carbotech pads, and SRF fluid. The control arm bushings don't squish out, the toe rod ends are robust and heat shielded, it has SKF race hubs stock etc. To make a C5Z perform the same you'd need poly bushings, ZR1 spindles, race hubs, coolers etc etc. Don't need dry sump with a batwing C5 pan.

My point? Add comparable content to a C5 and put a race seat in the C7 and the weight difference is much less.

FWIW my old racecar I sold after building from scratch. Had it doing 1:58s at VIR.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:56 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Had 4 C5s from street car vert to fully caged racecar Z06. After nearly a year with my C7 Z51 I'm considering another C5 Z06, but this time a street legal trackday car. The C7 is nice and capable, but it's heavy, can't fit very large tires, it has a tall profile due to Euro pedestrian regs (I love the low hood line on a C5). The new production methods used of lighweight SMC and fusion welded plastic stink IMO. The C5 is just a durable car.

The pros to the C7 are that the driveline and brakes are truly track ready. Car is robust and has coolers and good brakes from the get go. I would have to modify the C5Z with cooling, SKF hubs, bushings, etc. etc.

My wife thinks I'm crazy....

EDIT - Oh and I miss the popup headlights... all thought I'd add proper projector HIDs to them this time.

I cant say I switched “back” to a C5 - I alternate between the two.
when I bought my 7, I kept the 5. Dealer insulted me on trade, it was long paid for, gas and insurance are not overly expensive, and I still enjoy driving it.

Like you, really like the lower profile front end (and all the curves).

I’ve done a couple mods to make some aspects of the 5 more like the 7 (added HID’s and C6 shifter).

AS you are no doubt aware, each car has both its good and bad points - for example, the C5 with a/s tires is better in cold weather than the C7 on PSS (at least until I install a/s tires on all 4 corners of the 7.)

simply b/c I can be lazy, if the GF blocks the 7 in the driveway, and I dont want to move her van or take my SUV, I hop in the the C5.
My commute to work is only about 5 miles and full of stoplights and left turns, so what either car is capable of is overkill for the commute, but I dont care about that.

And yes, my. GF things I’m crazy for having both.
RapidC84B (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:09 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 173 Likes on 132 Posts

I absolutely would. I prefer the looks and the weight for sure (of my c5) over my c6. I prefer many other things as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone come back to a C5 after owning a C6 or C7?