Sponsored by:

Newbee with a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:06 PM
papasan
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbee with a question

Like another thread, I just got my dream car - also a silver 2001 C5 coupe with 48,600 miles. At my age (70) I never thought it would happen. Think I'll make it a daily driver, at my age why not? Since I live in Colorado, that will mean December - March in the garage. Lot's of fun roads when the snow clears. Got the car from a niece who inherited it from her grandfather so it's sr. citizen bona fides remain intact (Pulls hard to redline and my wife and I can actually enter and exit easily - who knew) More fun than my old SS396 Chevelle! Glad to be a part of the community.

Couple of minor issues: intermittent right headlight door (will install new motor gear), 'rockin' seat and a 'simple' one that has me stumped re next steps. When I got the car everything worked, including headlights. But as I bought it in the daytime I didn't notice that the driver's low beam pointed at the ground in front of the car and the right low beam pointed high and to the right. No problem, right? Re-seat the bulbs correctly in the housings.

NOT SO FAST, Newbee! Got driver's side bulb re-installed after some great instructions on the forums. Aim seems better now.

Cannot get the right bulb to seat in the housing. Bulb looks okay with undamaged tabs, etc. Bunged up headlight housing? One thought was to take off headlight cover for better visual and hand access to the housing for inspection and repair?

So, right now it's a daytime only drive. Do the guru's on this forum have some help?

Thanks, Papasan
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would do as you mention and first check the back of the headlight housing and see if the mounting slots are OK and hold the bulb in tightly. If there is some damage, you can find replacement housings on here every now and then (C5 Parts for Sale Section) or check with one of the forum's used parts vendors: aescorvetteparts, Northern Corvette or VetteNuts.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Before you replace the motor there are 4 plastic end stops (bumpers) for the headlight housing. Take the plastic stops off, (they just pull off) and turn them around 180 degrees. When the housing opens or closes it hits the stop and over time it wears and digs in. Turning the stop around gives it a new surface to push against. If the motor is not making a ratcheting noise this may fix it and it costs nothing to try. I would remove the headlight bucket and see whats going on with the bulb socket. They come out easy enough.

Last edited by Old School; 10-11-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Check your PMs
Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM
papasan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Old School
Before you replace the motor there are 4 plastic end stops (bumpers) for the headlight housing. Take the plastic stops off, (they just pull off) and turn them around 180 degrees. When the housing opens or closes it hits the stop and over time it wears and digs in. Turning the stop around gives it a new surface to push against. If the motor is not making a ratcheting noise this may fix it and it costs nothing to try. I would remove the headlight bucket and see whats going on with the bulb socket. They come out easy enough.
Thanks for the tip on the tabs. Removing the headlight bucket is proving to be a challenge. Looks like I need a torx angle screwdriver to get off the mounting bolts holding the bucket to the bracket (which I don't have....where to buy?) Am I missing something here? This 'simple' problem is turning into a major frustration, but that's not unusual for me.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:58 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

You can buy torx bits at any tool place, save money and go harbor freight
Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by papasan
Thanks for the tip on the tabs. Removing the headlight bucket is proving to be a challenge. Looks like I need a torx angle screwdriver to get off the mounting bolts holding the bucket to the bracket (which I don't have....where to buy?) Am I missing something here? This 'simple' problem is turning into a major frustration, but that's not unusual for me.
I have torx bits for a 1/4 drive ratchet that came in handy for this job. There are a lot of torx fasteners on this car you will need a few good sets. If you are removing the two shoulder bolts that the that the headlight bucket is hinged to at the rear be aware there are a couple plastic sleeves the bolts go thru you don't want to lose. If you remove the headlight body panel (4 torx screws), the bezel (3 phillips screws) and the two rear shoulder screws (torx and 8mm I think), you can carefully fold the headlight down into the bumper and you should have plenty of room to get to the sockets.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:40 PM
papasan
Heel & Toe

Thanks!! The mounting slots are all bunged up and I couldn't repair them. Will search vendors.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:44 PM
papasan
Heel & Toe

Thanks! I got that accomplished. Discovered the socket is all bunged up and I couldn't repair it. Need new one and will do a search. Also noticed that one bump tab was missing on headlight acting intermittently - will order those as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

I would post a WTB in the C5 parts for sale section, lots of people upgrade to HID lights and might have the old units for sale
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eadlights.html

Get notified of new replies

To Newbee with a question

Quick Reply: Newbee with a question