Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:00 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Question for Corbeau FX1 Users

Hey all,

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but, despite my attempts to search for it, I had no luck... I'm primarily trying to find answers to the following two questions:

1) Are these seats okay to use on the street with factory retractable seatbelts? I'm wondering if the shoulder bolsters interfere with the belt running across your chest as it does with the factory seats.

2) I'm 6'0" on the dot and trying to figure out if I should go with the Corbeau sliding brackets or fixes side mount brackets due to the seat height. I've read in a few places that the sliders make the seat too tall to sit in the car with a helmet on, which would be a problem as track usage is the main reason for considering these seats... Though I'd love to have the ability to adjust the seat's position as I sit a little closer to the wheel when at the track as compared to driving on the street.

Any insight on these topics from folks that have had these seats in the C5 would be truly appreciated!

Cheers,

DannyG
Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure mine is an FX1.
As for #1, yes, you can use the factory seat belt with it. I currently really only pull my car out for autocrosses. At first I was like, crap, now I need a harness and a harness bar, but after going to a couple of events I find that the standard seat belt works fine. It doesn't interfere or get in the way when autocrossing for me. It doesn't ride high like up on my neck or anything either. I buckle up and don't even think about it after that because it doesn't sit weird with the side bolsters.

2) I'm 5'8" and I pull the seat with the rails ALL the way up to race. I do notice that it does actually sit higher than my stock seat (C5Z just fyi). I've been in grid and felt how much space I've got above me between the helmet and roof and it's just enough to put my flat hand between the two. Enough to not rub when racing, but if I were any taller I'd have to seriously consider some way to drop the seat to compensate.
Like I said, I have the seat full forward when I race, and driving to and from events I'm usually about 3 clicks back. So with a stock rail setup I'd say the forward and back range for you being 6' will likely be fine. But that height is gonna be what you need to address.

Name:  08QPPy7.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  1.41 MB
Old 11-15-2018, 06:52 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Acid666
I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure mine is an FX1.
As for #1, yes, you can use the factory seat belt with it. I currently really only pull my car out for autocrosses. At first I was like, crap, now I need a harness and a harness bar, but after going to a couple of events I find that the standard seat belt works fine. It doesn't interfere or get in the way when autocrossing for me. It doesn't ride high like up on my neck or anything either. I buckle up and don't even think about it after that because it doesn't sit weird with the side bolsters.

2) I'm 5'8" and I pull the seat with the rails ALL the way up to race. I do notice that it does actually sit higher than my stock seat (C5Z just fyi). I've been in grid and felt how much space I've got above me between the helmet and roof and it's just enough to put my flat hand between the two. Enough to not rub when racing, but if I were any taller I'd have to seriously consider some way to drop the seat to compensate.
Like I said, I have the seat full forward when I race, and driving to and from events I'm usually about 3 clicks back. So with a stock rail setup I'd say the forward and back range for you being 6' will likely be fine. But that height is gonna be what you need to address.

That's definitely an FX1. Glad to hear the seat belt still rests across your chest... I was worried it might wind up resting against my neck.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Acid666
Racer

I went ahead and took some more pics for your reference. You can see where the strap comes into the chair. Remember, I'm 5'8". So your shoulders will be a couple of inches higher, shouldn't make much of a difference how it feels.
Name:  LDAZFJC.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  150.0 KB
Name:  mlyAtmN.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  692.4 KB

As far as rail positioning, this is all the way back on the rails. I barely touch the pedals.
Name:  DbIpYGf.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  155.5 KB

This is full forward. I race in this mode to be closer to the wheel.
Name:  IXGfXBt.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  182.6 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Acid666:
DannyG (11-16-2018), ubervic (09-27-2021)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

I went ahead and took some more pics for your reference. You can see where the strap comes into the chair. Remember, I'm 5'8". So your shoulders will be a couple of inches higher, shouldn't make much of a difference how it feels.

what's your waist size? I'm a 40, trying to see if I can squeeze in there

Last edited by FourG63 97GST; 11-16-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Acid666
Racer

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
what's your waist size? I'm a 40, trying to see if I can squeeze in there
I'm a 36, and that's pushing it for this seat. I'm pretty sure this is the regular FX1 and not the Pro or Wide. I bought it from a friend and researched it when I got it and haven't really revisited the info. But I'm sure it's not a wide, and I think the Pro would definitely be too small for me. If you're at a 40" waist I would just go straight to the Wide FX1. I have to drive 1-2 hours away for events in this thing and it's ok, but it's pushing my limit of how long I can ride in this thing. If it was wider I could probably drive longer but it squeezes my hips in and hits on a few pressure points.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 AM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

As far as rail positioning, this is all the way back on the rails. I barely touch the pedals.

This is full forward. I race in this mode to be closer to the wheel.
Thanks for the photos man! Very helpful to see!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

HERE is my experience installing the FX1
I'd suggest the C6 Seat belt swap, that way you can run the lower belt through the seat belt opening. It works really well!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bossdog
HERE is my experience installing the FX1
I'd suggest the C6 Seat belt swap, that way you can run the lower belt through the seat belt opening. It works really well!
Thanks for that info! I actually just spoke with the guys at Planted today (realized their factory is about 20 miles from me) and will definitely be going with their brackets. I’m a 32” waist so I’ll be going with the FX1 Pros which will require less work to fit but I’m curious if you feel bottom mount is an okay way to go, or if you’d recommend going side mount.

Also, the guy at Planted mentioned, just as you did in your post. that the passenger bracket sits slightly higher in the front than the driver side bracket to clear that plug/sensor. Can you see the difference in the seating position between the driver and passenger seat, in terms of one looking more tilted back than the other?
Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyG

Thanks for that info! I actually just spoke with the guys at Planted today (realized their factory is about 20 miles from me) and will definitely be going with their brackets. I’m a 32” waist so I’ll be going with the FX1 Pros which will require less work to fit but I’m curious if you feel bottom mount is an okay way to go, or if you’d recommend going side mount.

Also, the guy at Planted mentioned, just as you did in your post. that the passenger bracket sits slightly higher in the front than the driver side bracket to clear that plug/sensor. Can you see the difference in the seating position between the driver and passenger seat, in terms of one looking more tilted back than the other?
Side mount gives you more flexibility on the rake of the seat but bottom mount should be fine.
If you use planted on both sides they will be close and not likely to be noticeably different. I used planted on the passenger and Marrad ultra low mounts on the drivers side. They look dramatically different. I don’t really like the way it looks but I really like the extra head room it gives me with my helmet and HANS on.

Last edited by Bossdog; 11-17-2018 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DannyG (11-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Corbeau FX1 Users

Quick Reply: Question for Corbeau FX1 Users