Sponsored by:

Which color shows the line in the back most, is it silver

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Which color shows the line in the back most, is it silver

Just curious which color C5 shows the line where they pieced the rear back of the car together, is it the silver and what colors hide it best ?

It's like I look at some cars and it really sticks out and others it doesn't, were some year color combos better about hiding the line or some cars mated together better ?

Thanks......
Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Really do not understand the question/issue....
Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Irish31
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think he's talking about the color harmony between the rear quarter panels and where they meet the rear bumper plastic.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

On a factory OEM paint job, the difference is extremely tight ( non existent because of quality control processes and high end equipment under strict control. However.. there are some differences in tri color cars and heavy metallics.. Torch red has no metallic, black and white are also good. however the problem occurs when there is a repaint from a local shop .matching metallic and tricolors are almost impossible. with using less than factory equipment.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 11-29-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are talking about the potential paint difference between the rear fascia and the rear quarter panels, then a number of colors are good for providing a very good match. White and black come to mind, and all of the cars I have had (pewter, torch red and electron blue) have matched very well.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Whipitnow
Pro

Thanks, that is what I am talking about. I have noticed on some cars like some silver Vettes it realy sticks out and on others it does not as much.

I need to go to a place that has alot of C5's on hand to take a look at what colors look best in real life.

I want to build a HT convertible. Matching the paint may be an issue and I want silver and that seems to be a problem ?

I want to take a Vert and have a matching HT for it, on the FCR and Z06 it would not make sense to tear one of them up trying to do this and besides I do not want the rear brake vents as well that are on a Z06.

Actually I think Chevy should have offered this from the get go and the car would have been a bigger hit.

Thanks for any input.....

Last edited by Whipitnow; 11-27-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:53 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Part of what you are probably seeing is there is a difference in materials from the rear quarter to the rear fascia. The rear quarters are made out of SMC, while the rear fascia is made out of RIMM. By design RIMM can flex some and with the L shape contour of the RIMM against the SMC can create some... interesting properties of the body work, to say the least. It can look like the sides of the fascia are indented and sometimes the top of the fascia can appear to sag. I have noticed color does tend to have an effect on this, as my Nassau Blue it's noticeable to a degree both front and back. It's however not something that I obsess over because it's not hurting anything and there are worse things to worry about than some light hitting paint work strangely.

For the C6 the issue was resolved somewhat because the rear fascia attachment point against the SMC is near "flat" (the L profile is not present).
Old 11-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

This spoiler was painted about a year ago or so, the rest of the car is 2001. This is what a good body shop can do, the paint matches perfectly, they did not even have the car on hand when they painted it. I just brought them the the filler cap for them to match and check the tint.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

What color blue is that ? Navy ?, I had a great deal on a mint 2001 Navy Vert and probably should have bought it. I am tired of car hunting already but will keep at it.

Like posted above I hear the metallic paints are a real problem and non metallic are not. I bought a Galaxy silver top off a Z06 and I am wondering if it will match a Galaxy silver Vert real close. I can always change the color of the HT.

I was just noticing on some of the cars you can really see it good is all but on others of the same color it is not as pronounced like maybe some years or months or weeks they got a better match or am I missing something.?.... The metallic Silver or Pewter it seems can really show it but then I am looking at another car that is silver and it isn't as bad so I am wondering were some runs of cars better than others... These are really pretty cars but that is one flaw Chevy should have paid closer attention to before they released this model IMO....

Thanks for all the help......

Last edited by Whipitnow; 11-27-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Dark navy metallic.....Much has to do with the painter, it’s why good paintwork costs so much. Just having the paint code is not enough. They needed me to bring in my filler cap (my car was at a shop getting new motor) so they could get it right. I have posted in countless threads about body shop and paint prices, lots of people think they are too high. You sometimes get less than you pay for but you will never get more than you paid for unless you know the painter. That spoiler was not perfect (other than the fit, that was spot on), it was wavy and modeled looking, when they got done it is very flat and smooth, looks factory....you can’t see any difference in the paint.

how are you planning on making the top work? I think you will need bodywork to mold a FRC top to an extra tonneau cover... unles you don’t want to be able to go back to a vert easily. There are threads about this, here is a pic I found.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 11-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a '98 silver coupe, original paint, owned from new, etc., and yes, you can see the lines at the rear. It seems that the silver paint fades very slightly differently depending on the material, and as the body and rear bumper are two different materials, there is a very slight difference in hue. What's more noticeable is the actual line between the two parts, which seems much more obvious than for example on a dark colored car.

Last edited by jackthelad; 11-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

Thanks for all the help, it seems in silver the 04's really seem to be noticable and that was the only year of that color particular silver, a 98 is a different color than the 01 thru 03 ? I need to go look at these in person. There is a shop called the Toy Store not to far away and they only primarily sell Vetes.

I really like the silver cars with the right wheels and on some it does not seem to show much and on others it does alot.

There is a triple black close to me with only 30 thou miles at a deal but it is a auto and I want a manual and alot of people I have read say black paint is a pain to own ?

Mating the top should not be a problem, it's not something you want to change all the time however. Probably run the car as a Vert in the summer and a HT in the winter.....

Thanks for all the help and the Navy Vette is real nice, thanks for posting the pictures...... It's a dark color which is easier to match than say a silver but since the top I bought is Galaxy Silver a 01 - 03 Vette silver should match close or I am hoping......

Last edited by Whipitnow; 11-29-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:12 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
Thanks for all the help, it seems in silver the 04's really seem to be noticable and that was the only year of that color particular silver, a 98 is a different color than the 01 thru 03 ? I need to go look at these in person. There is a shop called the Toy Store not to far away and they only primarily sell Vetes.

I really like the silver cars with the right wheels and on some it does not seem to show much and on others it does alot.

There is a triple black close to me with only 30 thou miles at a deal but it is a auto and I want a manual and alot of people I have read say black paint is a pain to own ?

Mating the top should not be a problem, it's not something you want to change all the time however. Probably run the car as a Vert in the summer and a HT in the winter.....

Thanks for all the help and the Navy Vette is real nice, thanks for posting the pictures...... It's a dark color which is easier to match than say a silver but since the top I bought is Galaxy Silver a 01 - 03 Vette silver should match close or I am hoping......
I have a black coupe . That line seems to match very well . Black is a bitch to keep real clean , normal dust shows up immediately after wash and springtime is the worst . I had yellow and didn’t realize the difference in this
Old 11-29-2018, 04:42 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

msandym: Black cars do look great - just after they have been cleaned. I had a black Mustang for years and spent far too much time cleaning it.

My silver C5, though, is the lazy man's delight - it doesn't get dirty, it just morphs into a grey car.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
.....Much has to do with the painter, it’s why good paintwork costs so much. Just having the paint code is not enough.

....I guess i found the right painter when i had my hood painted unless i'm color blind its a great match as far as i can see. One of my "friends" told me the hood was just a bit off and i told him " go **** yourself " ...but it may actually be off a bit...who knows

Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Keep in mind, that anywhere on the car, wherever 2 panels meet, no matter how close the fit, there will still be a gap of some sort. That gap results in a line, usually appearing as a black line. Only a black car will hide that "line" effectively....
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow

This conversion has been done a number of times and the 'correct' way is to get a top from a FRC or Z06. The process of fitting it involves removing the convertible cover and replacing it with the full hard top. The issue is you need to install a convertible header to it... oh, and you also need to get a convertible hard cover that you can cut up and install inside the hardtop because the waterfall will both look like butt and the car will think the top is open if you don't 'close' the connection.

In the end it's way easier to get a smoothline hardtop aftermarket but they don't look as nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Which color shows the line in the back most, is it silver

Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Keep in mind, that anywhere on the car, wherever 2 panels meet, no matter how close the fit, there will still be a gap of some sort. That gap results in a line, usually appearing as a black line. Only a black car will hide that "line" effectively....

...good point...and even if the panels are off slightly, most observers never notice it because of the curves and reflectiions and shadows, etc....just sayin.....

I can't tell if everything matches perfect..can you?
Old 11-30-2018, 03:22 PM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Factory yellow (millennium yellow) isn't too bad at hiding it either...

Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Whipitnow
Pro

The metallic paints are the paints that are hard to match from what I am told and silver is supposed to be near impossible. To me I love the silver but the line has a way of really sticking out on some cars it would appear.

The key to keeping a car or motorcycle looking clean all the time say you have black is everyday you need to spend 5 minutes wiping it off. I learned that from my street bikes and it does work good.....

Quick Reply: Which color shows the line in the back most, is it silver