Sponsored by:

Preparing c5 for cross country move

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Preparing c5 for cross country move

In about 2 weeks I will be moving across the country, from Michigan back to my home state of texas, and am preparing the c5 for the 1400 mile drive, I have a checklist going but if you guys can think of anything else let me know.
so far I plan to:
change oil & filter
coolant flush
Cover anything that will be exposed to road debris and bugs with painters tape
Check all suspension bolts
Raise back to stock height (possibly)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 PM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

If you haven't already, maybe get a doughnut spare tire. If you have one, give it a once over to make sure it's ready just in case. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 433 Likes on 304 Posts

For a 1200 mile trip does it need a coolant flush or an oil change?

I would be more concerned with driving at highway speeds on summer tires in freezing temperatures. Go slow until the temps are in the 50's.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One other bit of advise,,,, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST!!! I live in the general St.Louis area and they are talking about a big weather system starting down in Texas and moving east northeast .C5's don't do well as snow plows LOL. other than that I've driven my FRC year round,,The LS actually likes inhaling cold air!! Seems these systems are popping up pretty regularly. Have a good trip,,C5's are great road cars!

Last edited by itzza427; 12-06-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 AM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tstad9i1
If you haven't already, maybe get a doughnut spare tire. If you have one, give it a once over to make sure it's ready just in case. Better safe than sorry.
good point, I keep a tire repair kit but a spare would be a much better solution.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 AM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keppler
For a 1200 mile trip does it need a coolant flush or an oil change?

I would be more concerned with driving at highway speeds on summer tires in freezing temperatures. Go slow until the temps are in the 50's.
it doesnt exactly need them, but I'm at 4,000 miles on the current oil and would rather change it now then at probably 6,000 when it's all said and done. I could get away with it, I just prefer to change it at 5k, that's always how I've done. & the coolant flush because I'm not sure the last time it has been changed, so I'm taking the precautions now instead of possibly paying later.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 AM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itzza427
One other bit of advise,,,, CHECK THE WEATHER FORECAST!!! I live in the general St.Louis area and they are talking about a big weather system starting down in Texas and moving east northeast .C5's don't do well as snow plows LOL. other than that I've driven my FRC year round,,The LS actually likes inhaling cold air!! Seems these systems are popping up pretty regularly. Have a good trip,,C5's are great road cars!
I will definitely have to check the forecast for everywhere I'm driving, no snow in Michigan yet but it is really cold, I'd hate to get caught in a snow storm on my way down. Good call!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Coolant and oil sound like a good idea. Check your belts, hoses and tires. If your tires are in good shape, don't worry about a spare. If not, get new tires.

I've done many long distance trips in my Z06 and the only repairs while on the road were a burnt out turn signal bulb and a bag in the radiator fan. If your car is maintained properly, the likelihood you will have a problem are greatly reduced. I have 284k miles on my Vette and wouldn't hesitate to make the trek you are about to embark on.

Drive safe!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Make sure your wiper blades are effective at clearing the windshield, there is plenty of fluid in the windshield washer reservoir, and I would recommend you have either AAA or emergency road service on your insurance policy. Should something happen, you would want to be able to get help quickly. Good luck with the move.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

That’s gonna be a great trip if the weather holds! Haven’t been able to take my car on any 1000+ mile trips in about 3 years, but put in 250 miles yesterday and only got snowed on a little bit!

You should look into one of those thin bras for the front of the car. Would be much easier than painters tape and you can have it for future trips too.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Just got back from a 3600 mile trip without any issues except for lots of rain. Before going I had an oil change, got tire repair kit, checked all fluided and tires.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Check fluids, check tires, clean windows, put gas in car, check weather, drive.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:42 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by tstad9i1
Originally Posted by Mikenonamaker
good point, I keep a tire repair kit but a spare would be a much better solution.
The big problem with a spare tire is that it takes up storage space and not having a way to secure it inside the car. And if you do have a flat along the way, you have to deal with a much larger wheel and tire to put back inside the car. That can be a huge issue given that you are moving. Also, you need to find a jack that will go under the car once a tire is flat. Try removing the valve stem core to flatten a tire. Then measure the distance from the frame rail (near the square holes) to the ground. A jack will have to fit in that space. Now think about geting the jack and spare out of the car in a pouring down rainstorm.

I recommend just having a cell phone and a AAA membership.

Nothing wrong with doing an oil change; a coolant service may not be a necessity unles the coolant in the system is over 5 years old. Then you could simple drain the old coolant out and refill with Dexcool. Check tire pressures too. Checking the weather along your rout would be a very good idea. Maybe find a weather app that can show weather conditions on your route.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 841 Posts

Jump in and drive. I just drove my cherry 30k mile '04z home from Seattle to TX in July. Now it's a 32k mile cherry 04z

Take a quart of oil, credit card and a cell phone. Do it in 1 day, or 2 if you're lolly-gagging.

Vettes are GREAT long-distance mile munchers. Enjoy the trip!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Mikenonamaker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The big problem with a spare tire is that it takes up storage space and not having a way to secure it inside the car. And if you do have a flat along the way, you have to deal with a much larger wheel and tire to put back inside the car. That can be a huge issue given that you are moving. Also, you need to find a jack that will go under the car once a tire is flat. Try removing the valve stem core to flatten a tire. Then measure the distance from the frame rail (near the square holes) to the ground. A jack will have to fit in that space. Now think about geting the jack and spare out of the car in a pouring down rainstorm.

I recommend just having a cell phone and a AAA membership.

Nothing wrong with doing an oil change; a coolant service may not be a necessity unles the coolant in the system is over 5 years old. Then you could simple drain the old coolant out and refill with Dexcool. Check tire pressures too. Checking the weather along your rout would be a very good idea. Maybe find a weather app that can show weather conditions on your route.
we will have to see how much space I have, I already know I'll be loaded to the brim with 2 years worth of tools and clothes lol
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

There's really nothing to worry about for 1400 miles. If your car is currently working, give 'er an oil change and away you go.

Make sure you bring a cell phone charger and an AAA card and some cash. That's all.

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing c5 for cross country move

Quick Reply: Preparing c5 for cross country move