Sponsored by:

LED taillights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED taillights

Some time ago I replaced my tailights LED versions from the original bulb versions. One burned out a few days ago. Before I replace them I want some input from other forum members here. The LED bulbs I installed tend to be less bright than the original tailight bulbs. In fact when I have been travelling at night with groups those behind me have all remarked how difficult it is to see my car and have commented on how difficult these light are to see.

Does anybody here have a suggestion for replacement LED bulbs that may be brighter?
I did do a search of the forum here but didn't turn up anything I could use.

Todd
Old 12-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Can’t help you out with replacement LED bulbs. When I switched from the OEM bulbs, I went with a set of LED Halo taillights from Corvette Enhancements. They were so much brighter than the stock lights.

You may want to reach out to some of the forum vendors like radioflyer, diode dynamics, etc. and see what they have.

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 12-11-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:24 PM
tcfamy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I switched over to Sylvania Zevo 3157 Red LED bulbs (Amazon $20/pair). I like their high intensity and contrast between low and high brightness. Many times more penetrating than stock bulbs. Also their design fills the reflector using the OEN optics design. I don't like the bulbs that use a "projector" lens on the end .and minimal lighting for the reflector. Gives off a pencil beam to fake out their true output. Don't forget you will need to use some type of hyper flash preventer (resisters or harness). Harness is clean and quick, but because hazard flasher is separate from turns they will still hyperize with the hazards. Resistors work for both flashers.

Tom

Last edited by tcfamy; 12-11-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Spending some time filtering through Amazon reviews will most likely be your best bet if you want to save some money. Otherwise, getting LED bulbs from well known suppliers like Radioflyer is your best bet.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Just buy a set of these and be done with it

You'll thank me later
Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 PM
grantorino
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On my C5 I bought the 6 LED lights ( 2 for spares) from a RV supplier of motor home lights. They were like $60 for six. I did this after I read a post here. Found them on EBAY about 6 months ago. I also installed a hyperflash resistor kit from EBAY as well. Again from info learned on this forum. These lights were an exact fit and only required a simple splice in the harness' at each light. Very bright and well worth the money. Do a search to find the post.

Last edited by grantorino; 12-13-2018 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 10:45 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Todd,

We might be able to help you out here. Our 3157 XP80 is a 510 (lab-verified) lumen bulb that is a plug-and-play solution for C5 tail lights. If you want to check it out, I'll attach the link below. Feel free to PM us if you have any questions!

Tail Light LEDs for 1997-2013 Chevrolet Corvette (pair)

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I’m a regular customer of Radioflyer, JW Motorsports, Diode Dynamics, Superbrightled’s and Oznium. Any one of them will supply you with a bulb with ‘normal’ brightness. I have never had a brightness problem with taillights, even with ebay bulbs. However, I currently have the Zevo’s and they are quite bright. Btw, I have a hyperflash harness from one of the vendors I mentioned so I can do whatever I want with LED bulbs.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 AM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Thank you. I looked at this. The trouble is I have custom taillight lenses that I have never seen on another car. I like them and do not want to replace them.
Thank you for you advice anyway.
Todd
Old 12-12-2018, 11:34 AM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Thank you Jake. I did go to your link and it looks like you offer some pretty high quality products. I did replace the wiring harness before but I don't recall how the LED bulb plug is configured and will have to take a look at that before I make a purchase.

Todd
Old 12-12-2018, 12:41 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by tfrankmt
Thank you. I looked at this. The trouble is I have custom taillight lenses that I have never seen on another car. I like them and do not want to replace them.
Todd
TODD, can you post a pic of your lights?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM
grantorino
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The lights I mentioned were from warehousesalvage on EBAY. It's a complete assembly times 6. $47.00. Shipping was $24.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Tried to place an order at Diode Dynamics using link provided. Tried to order two sets for $40 per set. When I clicked on place order box, nothing happened. No response. I clicked on a $60 set and that came right up in the place order box. Don't know what is going on here but I don't have time to deal with it. Will try some other suggested sources.

Todd
Old 12-13-2018, 04:03 PM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

Tried to place an order at Diode Dynamics using link provided. Tried to order two sets for $40 per set. When I clicked on place order box, nothing happened. No response. I clicked on a $60 set and that came right up in the place order box. Don't know what is going on here but I don't have time to deal with it. Will try some other suggested sources.

Todd
Sorry for any confusion on that! If you have to have both the bulb and color selected (even though there is only one option), then you should be able to add the item to your cart. It's a website quirk that I'm hoping we have fixed soon.

Let me know if it continues to give you trouble!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

Thank you Jake and I am sorry about my lack of patience here with your website but I am at work and don't have allot of time to spend on this.. I went to Radio Flyer and order a 4 pack for $100. I hope they are as bright as they claim.

Todd
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Todd
is it possible the custom taillight lenses are causing the low visibility issue and not the bulbs?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have custom taillight lenses that I have never seen on another car. I like them and do not want to replace them.
Originally Posted by chasboy

TODD, can you post a pic of your lights?

Originally Posted by Dark Sarcasm

... the custom taillight lenses ....

Get notified of new replies

To LED taillights

Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 AM
0Diode Dynamics
Former Vendor

I totally understand. If I can help out with anything in the future, just let me know!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 12-16-2018, 10:58 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Thank you Jake and I am sorry about my lack of patience here with your website but I am at work and don't have allot of time to spend on this.. I went to Radio Flyer and order a 4 pack for $100. I hope they are as bright as they claim.

Todd
Thank you for the business.

....just make sure to wear your sunglasses if you're going to look directly at you tail lights.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:03 PM
tfrankmt
Advanced

After installing the bulbs I got from Radio Flyer Innovations they worked great but on only stayed lit for about 5 minutes. When inspecting the light and socket, the plug end of the bulb had crumbled. I had thought I had cleaned out the socket thoroughly but there might have been some corrosion still in socket. I contacted Jake and sent him some photos. He was quite helpful. I took out all the bulbs and one other plug end was crumbling. I decided I would clean the sockets again with electrical contact cleaner spray and use a file for scrapping to removal all corrosion. In that process I damaged two metal contacts inside the sockets and just decided the hell with it,I will replace all the sockets with new ones. It seems to me that they were becoming brittle over time anyway. Well since this is Christmas weekend nobody is shipping plus GM parts location also have been on holiday since last Thursday as well.
One GM guy there was apologetic and said he would call me on Wednesday and set me up with the sockets which since it is a Holiday Week I have no problem with.
That being said. I did look through my shop manual for a layout of the taillight wiring harness. Thought I just might as well replace the harness, sockets and bulbs all at one sitting but the shop manual has no clear diagram of everything going on back there. Visiting various websites it just didn't look like the harness and sockets being offered for sale just don't seem to match the OEM.
Any suggestions by experienced people here on this site is appreciated.

Todd

Quick Reply: LED taillights