Sponsored by:

Unique experience today

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Unique experience today

I went to a rural location to buy a bumper cover and was offered the opportunity to see an extremely rare 57 “air box” Corvette that had been in a barn in rural Kentucky for close to 50 years. The gentleman who now owns the car had documented proof with pictures that it was a true original air box car from the owner who bought the car new. Even in its current condition it has been valued at $250-300,000.00. It may show up at some Corvette gatherings this coming year.

No pictures this trip as he has reasonable security concerns which I understood. I told him I’d like to stay in touch to see what he decides to do with the car. He has the ability to do a restoration as it was parked next to a frame off restoration he had recently completed on a 65 Stingray. I think someone will make him an offer he can’t refuse and it will move on to a big time shop.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Color?
Description of current condition?
Help a brother get a visual.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That would be a very cool car to see.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Car was visually a mess paint wise, top coat was a flaky yellow. It left the factory as a black car with silver coves and a red interior. The car was raced in the early 60’s on road courses and Pikes Peak and was red with white stripes and a number 22 decal on the side. Car was wrecked during its racing days and all this was documented with pictures. Don’t know when the yellow layer was added but it was thin and peeling and you could see a faint outline where the racing numbers had been on the drivers door. The car is a heater delete, radio delete big brake car and is purported to be one of 43 ever produced from the factory and there are 16 known clones running around that are really nice cars and not being misrepresented.

The car was pretty much complete as far as I could tell. Like a dummy I didn’t think to ask him to fire it up so I don’t know if it would crank or not. It was sitting on black painted steel wheels, no caps and the back rims had been widened as I could see the weld line, don’t know if that is factory or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by f6john:
laurent_zo6 (12-20-2018), ~Josh (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Awesome description, and very cool vintage racer.

Thank you for taking the time to share.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Way cool!!!
Remember in the movie "Trading Places" where Eddie Murphy got in the limo with Randolph and Mortimer and they were giving him whiskey, cigars, and money and he said "This kinda **** happens to me everyday!" ?

Last edited by lewislgZ06; 12-13-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Way cool and a once in a lifetime experience. Thanks for posting it.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here is some info fopr you on the air box=leftALL fuel injected 57 Vettes have an air cleaner attached directly to the air meter. Fuel injection units do not like heat, and all of the 57 FI engines (except 43) drew in hot air coming directly from the HOT engine compartment. The 43 Fuel Injected cars which were built with an “Airbox” in 1957 had a somewhat crude, practically hand laid up, fiberglass duct work attached to the left inner fender and a hole was cut into the left side of the radiator support to allow air into the duct work. All of these 43 cars were built with heavy duty everything (translate factory built race car), brakes, suspension, special steering, NO radio, NO heater, wide wheels, tachometer mounted (clamped) on the steering column, fuel injection, HD shocks and that about covers it. Somewhere along the line, the term “Airbox” was tagged to these 43 cars, and it stuck.

Here are a couple of photos, I hope you enjoy

[img][/img]
The airbox was hand made by GM " on the left side " the right duct goes to the rear to cool the brakes I had the same motor in my 58 without the air box. or any of the special race only components.

Here is a shot of the air box car interior no heater no radio and a special factory tach on the column
Bill aka ET
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
CalF (12-13-2018), f6john (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Here is some info fopr you on the air box=leftALL fuel injected 57 Vettes have an air cleaner attached directly to the air meter. Fuel injection units do not like heat, and all of the 57 FI engines (except 43) drew in hot air coming directly from the HOT engine compartment. The 43 Fuel Injected cars which were built with an “Airbox” in 1957 had a somewhat crude, practically hand laid up, fiberglass duct work attached to the left inner fender and a hole was cut into the left side of the radiator support to allow air into the duct work. All of these 43 cars were built with heavy duty everything (translate factory built race car), brakes, suspension, special steering, NO radio, NO heater, wide wheels, tachometer mounted (clamped) on the steering column, fuel injection, HD shocks and that about covers it. Somewhere along the line, the term “Airbox” was tagged to these 43 cars, and it stuck.

Here are a couple of photos, I hope you enjoy

[img]
The airbox was hand made by GM " on the left side " the right duct goes to the rear to cool the brakes I had the same motor in my 58 without the air box. or any of the special race only components.

Here is a shot of the air box car interior no heater no radio and a special factory tach on the column
Bill aka ET
Bill, another tidbit of info that the owner pointed out. The tach was usually In the center pod but when they moved it to the column they inserted the Corvette medallion that you can barely see in the picture you provided. The car I saw had the same medallion though the tach I don’t believe was original however he could still have it as he had some other parts in boxes

Also his car had a red steering wheel but the red interior had been changed.

Last edited by f6john; 12-14-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Unique experience today

Quick Reply: Unique experience today