C5 owners with Single-Din motorized display

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 05:27 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default C5 owners with Single-Din motorized display

C5 owners with Single-Din motorized display receivers, if you had it to do over would you go with the same or would you opt for the double din unit?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm happy with my Jensen unit. Screen is motorized and flips up if you want, or just leave it hidden.

Price was the big difference here. I didn't have to buy a new center console, front plate, or modify anything. I picked up the unit for $200 from a forum member and it works great. It may not be state of the art but I dont have $1k+ into it either.
The following users liked this post:
pcfred (01-30-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:48 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I had mine for a couple years and honestly forgot about it till I sold the car. While cleaning my stuff out the car I realized again, it had the motorized face. It went with it, so that was that. But I guess it was cool while it lasted!

Get whatever you want... Double din would be nice for nav if you get that. But it's costly for the bezel and in my convertibles it's near impossible to see the display when sunny w/top down so I"m not sure it's something I'd want a lot of money in. I may replace the nav in my current car, but mostly for a new stereo and nav that actually works (vs the factory system that stinks).
The following users liked this post:
pcfred (01-31-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:38 PM
J. Kent
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to find this thread because I have questions about single vs double for my '03 C5 vert.
I was looking at DDs but the Metra bezel seems crappy so I wanted the bezel from Vette Nuts but $390 just for the bezel!!
Read a letter to the Tech Nerd in the April 2019 Corvette mag where the owner of an '03 raved about a unit with all the bells and whistles and a large display screen that retracts. I assume this is a single DIN unit and I found a couple that appeal to me on the Crutchfield site: Pioneer AVH-3400NEX and Jensen VX4014.
So my questions are:
  1. Will the pop-up screens open completely and work properly in a C5?
  2. How much do they block the air vent, and is this a problem?
Thanks for any advice or insight.

Last edited by J. Kent; 02-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Kent
So my questions are:
  1. Will the pop-up screens open completely and work properly in a C5?
  2. How much do they block the air vent, and is this a problem?
Pop out single DINs will open completely as they're above the shifter (another thing to consider with a pop out screen; if you have a manual transmission your ability to grab the shifter will be limited while the screen is opening or closing). However most are going to obstruct the center HVAC vent. Some individuals do not have issue with this as they'll only bring out their screen to adjust radio functions, however remember you cannot physically isolate heat or air coming out of the center vent (it's constant when on) so an opened single DIN screen is going to have air blowing on the backside while in use.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

This is what I used:

Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
GradyBaby16
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

+1 on single Din. As stated the double dins can be expensive but I find the center consoles over priced. Also as stated with a vert the sun can glare the whole screen alot with the top down, my single has diff. adjustment angles which I like and can sometimes help. Only negative is that it blocks the center vent but honestly if its ever an issue, I just close the display if im uncomfortable with the temperature. I also like being able to hide the display away so less lights in the car at night and less visible for theft. I dont have any issues shifting while its opening or closing either. I just like the option of whether I want a huge display looking back at me or a simple radio sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 owners with Single-Din motorized display

Quick Reply: C5 owners with Single-Din motorized display