Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Blew out the dipstick, Validate my thinking please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:43 AM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My old vette with the vortech blower on it started to shoot the dipstick right out of the tube. Turned out there was a hole crack / hole in one of the pistons. I sold the car for pennies on the dollar because at the time, I had no means or having it repaired. Hopefully you have better luck than I do and it's not so serious in your case.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 841 Posts

Update
Finished the setup:
- Catch can between valley cover & intake mani. This will be under suction whenever intake manifold has vacuum.
- valve covers T'd together, through a PCV valve, into the intake tract. This will be sealed by the PCV valve when under vacuum, and vent into the intake tract in the rare times it is under positive pressure. Same effect as a vented oil cap with check valve.

Everything is dirty - will clean it up....
Seems very effective so far. Should help the catch can work better than having a vented cap as well.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

You don't want that pcv valve in the valvecover to intake hose. It is a good thing have fresh air flow coming from the air intake, into the valve covers, circulating the clean air thru the crankcase, and then out the valley cover, to can, to intake manifold. That is how it is set up from the factory on all cars these days, it helps keeps nasty blowby contaminantes out of the oil and the oil last longer.

Not only that, but I doubt there is enough vacuum at the valve covers to close that pcv valve, and that valve is just sitting there acting as a flow restriction under WOT, when you need it most.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

^^ thanks for feedback. Valve is easily removed.
I did verify the PCV valve does seat. I'm sure it is a restriction when open under pressure, but did not appear to be significant (very scientific 'blow through the hose' test).
My thinking was - keep oil/crankcase under maximum vacuum regulated by the valley cover orifice. This does do that. You are right, there is no supply of fresh air to the crankcase.

Below is what I found for stock PCV system. There appears to be no fresh air supply here, only post-throttle-body vacuum. what am I missing?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

The red/orange vent tube is the fresh air supply. The fitting on the throttle body pulls air PRE throttle body, so little to no vacuum ever.

The stock 99 setup setup doesn't do a great job circulating fresh air... most of the air probably enters the front of the passenger valve cover, then right out the rear of it.

Having the valley cover like you do, connected to intake mani and the fresh air source connected to valve cover(s), allows the air to circulate thru much better.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:40 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

There's plenty of literature out there talking about PCV system operation and why it is the way it is. The idea is to displace the nasty blowby gas with fresh air in the crankcase, so you need that fresh, clean, filtered air supply.

Many certainly do fine just running a few breathers on the valve covers etc., and that has been done for many years, but the science supports a modern pcv system and it leading to cleaner, longer lasting oil. For a track car where oil is changed often anyways, probably not a big deal. For a street car that isn't driven a whole lot and oil not changed as frequently, I would like to retain that functionality if at all possible, and it won't smell.

BTW just trying to help based on all of my own experiences with this and all the info I've read over the years. I think what you have now will certainly work, but no check valve there would be better.

Last edited by aaronc7; 03-12-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

^^ really appreciate all the insight and taking the time to write it up!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blew out the dipstick, Validate my thinking please...