Sponsored by:

Vetted C5 Updates: New Eyes, New Hips, More Power, More Cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 517 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Vetted C5 Updates: New Eyes, New Hips, More Power, More Cool - Update (Again)

Well, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted here about Vetted C5. I’ve posted some things on other people’s threads and Facebook, but I have waited to post here until all plans were completed. As the Subject implies; we’ve gone through some changes over the last year and a half. To see the journey from the beginning go here:
Vetted C5 Build Thread

Some of the changes were fixes, some were upgrades that came about from the fixes, some were things I just wanted to do. As for fixes, I had an unfortunate meeting with a parking barrier that crushed the front lip. Even though it was urethane it did not survive so I removed it. At $400 plus painting I was not too keen on replacing it. I tried living without it, but it just looked unfinished to me, so I had seen where others used alternative front lips so first I tried an Ebay special front lip, then I tried an APR carbon fiber front lip. Neither worked to my satisfaction so I ended up buying a Carbon Creations Tiger Shark II Duraflex (fiberglass) front lip. The fitment was good, it’s probably more fragile than the urethane but it’s half the cost. It came out well and doesn’t look any different than the original.

Next on the fix list was the rear wheel (tire) fitment. I purposely went with taller than stock tires from the beginning at 275/35 19 & 305/35 19 they were 1” taller overall. I did this to get small fender gap and still retain some ground clearance. Unfortunately, they were not just 1” taller, they are 1” larger in diameter. What I wasn’t aware of at the time is that the C5 wheels are not centered in the wheel opening, they are offset towards the front. This caused the tire to hit the top front face of the wheel well when I went over dips (not bumps) at speed. I hit a dip one day that caused the tire to rip the fender liner out of the car and crack the fender ;-(. The estimate for repair was $1k so I decided get the Vettenuts flares instead. Two things happened at that point. 1. It helped but didn’t completely solve the clearance problem. 2. The tires were tucked in too far. I solved the tuck problem with 5mm spacers. I eventually solved both problems by going with 325/30 19 tires. They are now ½” taller than stock instead of 1” and no longer hit the fender wells and they fill up the fenders perfectly without spacers. That’s the new hips in the subject.

Next on the list of fixes that turned into an improvement was the cooling (more cool). The car ran very hot in stop and go traffic in hot weather. Being in NC it’s hot most of the time. I already had a DeWitts radiator and fan set up, so I started looking into a higher flowing water pump. What I ended up with was an electric water pump. It was more expensive, but I can’t say enough good things about it. Now the car actually cools down while idling, where the temperature used to skyrocket. I highly recommend this set up for drag strip or auto cross usage. You will be able to cool down the car much quicker between runs. Road race or other elongated highspeed runs would probably be better served with high flow water pump that’s designed to be more efficient at high RPM, where the electric water pump runs the same speed all the time. I had spoken to my builder about a cam back when he first tuned the car. He told me if I was still thinking about wanting to do that now would be the time since he had to take the front apart to do the water pump so…. Ok so now I have a mild blower cam and the water pump probably freed up a couple ponies and we ended up at 633 whp and 597 tq, an improvement of 72 hp and 37 ft-lb. There’s probably some more in it, but I would need more fuel and/or meth injection set up. It’s estimated at 728 hp at the crank so I’m probably at the end of where I can safely be on a stock bottom end anyway. That’s still more horsepower than a stock C7 Z06 so I’m satisfied. The car runs and sounds amazing, with just a little cam burble. It starts on the first crank and idles and runs in traffic better than stock but take it over 3k rpm and WOW!

So that covers the hips, the power, and the cool, what about the eyes? I went to fixed headlights from the start, utilizing Radio Flyer Stealth Cannons with ¾ angel eye “angry” eyes. These lights work great and are probably the most functional that you can buy for a C5. From a style perspective, I always preferred the Breathless Performance Lemans style lights. They are flush just like the Radio Flyers, but the design with the rectangular low beam makes the front look wider and more menacing, whereas the dual round look surprised. I originally went with the RF’s because of the dismal performance of the BP’s, which were actually worse than stock if you can imagine that and they cost more. I caught a sale at Christmas and got a set from BP for $800. I was then pleasantly surprised when they came with halogen lights instead of the sealed beam 80’s Camaro lights that they originally came with. I further upgraded those with an OPT7 HID conversion. Now the lights are great, not quite as good as the RF’s because they are not in HID designed housings, but very good, nonetheless. I added LED switch back DRL eyebrows and a harness from RF that makes the DRL’s run white instead of orange. I’m very pleased with the final look.

Not mentioned in the subject were some needed upgrades to the interior. I got of set of Lloyd’s mats for the front and cargo compartment. I only use the front mats for shows, the rest of the time they live in the back. The other upgrade in the interior was the infotainment system. The car was completely dyno matted in the first round of the build, so when the windows were up the sound system was fine. With the windows down and the top off, there was not enough punch for the sound to overcome the wind noise, so I added a 2nd Kenwood DDXR900 amp and went with 2 JL 10W3 subs in corner boxes. I ended up with more cargo space than I had with the other box and perfectly clear sound with the top off. I still like to ride around and just listen to the engine, but when I want music the clarity of this set up is amazing. It’s still not a thump for the neighborhood set up, but inside the car you can adjust the sound to pound your chest of pic up every instrument in a classical piece. Last, but not least I had to replace the head unit. I had a Kenwood DNN992, it ended up not being compatible with IOS10, so I could not play any music on my phone even if I physically connected it. I ended up getting another Kenwood head unit, a DDX7703S. It doesn’t have a build in NAV system, but since it has Apple Car Play I don’t need it. It has excellent digital processing and cost much less than the first unit.

So that’s it, below are the current pics, thanks for looking!
New hp numbers 633 rwhp / 597 ft-lbs

Mod List. New items in bold:
Engine:
ECS Super Charger Kit
MSD Airforce intake manifold
LS2 fuel rails
80lbs injectors
MSD Blaster coil packs
MSD spark plug wires
NGK spark plugs
LS6 90mm silver blade throttle body (polished)
Texas Speed & Performance blower cam
Meziere 300 Series Electric Water Pump

Energy Suspension motor mounts (1/4" lower)
DeWitts radiator and twin fan kit
Mechman 240 amp billet alternator
LG 1-3/4" headers/2-1/2" X-pipe
Stainless Works exhaust with custom tips
McCleod RST twin disc clutch with billet flywheel
MGW Shifter with C6 handle

Suspension:
LG Motorsports G2 Bilstein coilovers
TPS Chassis tunnel plate w/Z Cool thermal shielding
VetteWorks Shark Bar
C6 Z06 brakes frnt/rr - silver

Wheels/Tires:
19x10/19x11 BC Forged HBO5
275/35/19 & 325/30/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Audio:
Kenwood DDX7703S
Kenwood XR900 amp x 2
Morel Virtus 6.5 component speakers
Morel Maximo 6.5 coax speakers
JL 10tw3v3 10" subs x 2 in corner mount boxes

Interior:
Apsis carbon fiber/leather/alcantara silver stitching super seats power driver and passenger
Apsis carbon fiber/leather silver stitching steering wheel
Apsis C6 Shift **** leather/alcantara silver stiching
Double D Mods carbon fiber/leather silver stitching double din center console
Double D Mods leather dashboard silver stitching
Double D Mods leather/alcantara door panels
Double D Mods carbon fiber door bezels
Billet vent surrounds
Billet door handles (one off custom made)
Leather sun visors with integrated I/R controls
MGW shifter
Lloyds Corvette Racing mats front and cargo

Exterior:
BSM's removed
StarCraft Tigershark front bumper and lip
ACP extractor hood
Breathless Performance Lemans Style headlights with custom LED "eyebrow" DRL/turn signals
Radio Flyer LED tail lights
Radio Flyer LED switchback turn signals
Radio Flyer LED license plate lights
Radio Flyer white DRL harness

LED fog light conversion
Vettenuts 1" flared rear fenders

Corvette Creationz AC Edition side skirts
Corvette Creationz urethane rear diffuser

L5 rocker panels with functional brake ducts
Custom "Jake" stinger stripe
Carbon flash metalic top and Halo
OPT 7 HID’s and LED DRL’s

Last edited by workmanw; 04-06-2022 at 03:16 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by workmanw:
BABYBUGY (06-25-2019), BlackHellcat (06-25-2019), doublenut9 (07-14-2019), HotRod Junkie (03-02-2021), Irish31 (06-26-2019), lewislgZ06 (06-25-2019), Mike98SilVert (07-30-2020), Tbair64 (10-20-2020), Toys4Life C5 (08-01-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

You have some serious coin involved in that car, looks really nice. Are the rear brake ducts functional?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM
mfi2000
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice...
Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AE Guy

You have some serious coin involved in that car, looks really nice. Are the rear brake ducts functional?
They were, but now the tires are too wide to fit the ducts around.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Very nice. You have a great looking and a unique looking C5
The following users liked this post:
workmanw (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:43 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Beautiful car, Wayne. You should have entered it in the C5 of the Year judging.
Please post more often.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USAZR1
Please post more often.
Thank you, yes, for some reason I missed the request for entries. I'll have to be more attentive ;-)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:13 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good to hear from you Wayne, it’s been a minute.
Those were some nice upgrades and repairs.
Post up another shot of the front from a little lower angle with the hood closed, please. I’d like to see your front bumper and splitter a little better.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:24 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

How color graded are those photos? I'm wondering because as pictured in the photos that is the best silver C5/C6 I have ever seen, by a significant margin. I'm wondering if the colors are accurate.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

633 RWHP and the car looks that great. AWESOME That engine bay looks spotless.
workmanw (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:17 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gimp
How color graded are those photos? I'm wondering because as pictured in the photos that is the best silver C5/C6 I have ever seen, by a significant margin. I'm wondering if the colors are accurate.
It’s not silver, it’s pewter.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 PM
Life’s good C5
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts

Really nice!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by USAZR1
Please post more often.

VERY nice indeed!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by workmanw
It’s not silver, it’s pewter.
Sorry. They made like six different silver-ish colors. I call them all silver. I hope that didn't offend you. Your car looks great.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Very nice build. Looks great and should run with the best of ‘em.
workmanw (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 AM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gimp
Sorry. They made like six different silver-ish colors. I call them all silver. I hope that didn't offend you. Your car looks great.
No offense taken. I was just explaining the color. There is a old fairly long thread about what color pewter actually is. When I look at it close it appears to be a light grey base with gold and silver metallic that causes it to flop bronzeish in the sun. That's why I went with the color that I did on my wheel centers, they're not black. The wheels pic up the metallic in person.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 AM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Very nice build. Looks great and should run with the best of ‘em.
Thanks Mark. It's definitely a lot of fun. We have a log of great roads out here, I'm only 45 minutes away from Blue Ridge Pkwy, and all of it's feeder roads.

Get notified of new replies

To Vetted C5 Updates: New Eyes, New Hips, More Power, More Cool

Old 07-11-2019, 02:53 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That's amazing how much rwhp and torque you picked up with that cam and electric water pump! Kudos!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:27 PM
workmanw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
That's amazing how much rwhp and torque you picked up with that cam and electric water pump! Kudos!
Thanks, the MSD intake manifold has been giving me 40+ rwhp over expected from the start. I was already at 561 rwhp before the cam. I think the more air I push through it the greater the additional improvement. I read a test against a Fast 102. It showed slight advantage across the board with a 3hp gap at the top. This was on a naturally aspirated engine. I figured that forced induction would exaggerate the gains and my numbers seem to bear that out
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That’s awesome! How many lbs boost?

Quick Reply: Vetted C5 Updates: New Eyes, New Hips, More Power, More Cool