Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,219 Likes on 1,966 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

These are not impossible tasks.

You can find the way like so many have or you can spend 2k plus dollars to make the same sound and the same power. You pick.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:39 AM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,336 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OK, I’m not gonna cheap out on internals, but headers and other exhaust components are simply pieces of tubing. Also, ceramic coating is fine for preventing rust on mild steel headers, but it’s not needed on stainless steel. And if you think ceramic keeps thing cool, I’ve got my share of header kisses from them to put that to rest.

Forum members have used Speed Engineering headers successfully, and they installed them themselves. If you watch Mr Blacks YouTube channel, he does his mods in his garage, on the floor, just like any of us are free to do.

Like any cross section of groups, there’s those who have money to do as they wish. If you’re not one of those, you might just take a minute before shoveling out $3,000+ for headers. That’s a lot of money for 40hp(ish) and/or a lower exhaust note, especially when you can get a set of SE and bullet cats for about a grand.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 02:12 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 972 Likes on 784 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have 1700 invested in my Kook's with cats. Where are you coming up with 3000?
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 AM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have Speed Engineering and outside of the clamps being garbage, I have no complaints. I am getting sick of smelling like exhaust when ever I drive the car so I looked into adding cats to the X-pips. A local shop quoted me $2-300 in labor to add the cats and completely weld the x-pipes. They also suggested the Texas Speed 3" high flow cats. Even with that cost, the Speed Engineering is still a good deal.
The following 4 users liked this post by EVL JAKE:
Mr. Black (01-30-2023), shenny88 (01-30-2023), Tusc (02-13-2023), vette4fl (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:43 AM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
I have 1700 invested in my Kook's with cats. Where are you coming up with 3000?
Which retailer you buy from? Did you buy them recently for $1,700?
Old 01-30-2023, 08:01 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,096 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
I thought OBX was a really low quality system. Am I wrong?
I think they improved the fitment issues, but I don't personally know, and I would not spend money on them myself.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:07 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Which retailer you buy from? Did you buy them recently for $1,700?
Sent you a Pm
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 PM
shenny88
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of suggestions for Speed Engineering as the budget option.
Next up you'll see Texas Speed.
Then probably Kooks or American Racing.

Like others mentioned, you can add high flow cats to almost any Xpipe, just go to a decent muffler shop.
Mr. Black (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:04 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Sent you a Pm
Thanks!

Good service? Any issues?
Old 01-30-2023, 09:39 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!

Good service? Any issues?
Smooth transaction and shipping took about a week IIRC
Old 01-30-2023, 09:42 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Smooth transaction and shipping took about a week IIRC
Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Insinuating that it's impossible to find a well built cheap header for these cars is just ridiculous. Many of the cheaper headers that have an actual name brand that work with these cars fit well and DO NOT have a reputation for just cracking or breaking off at the head lol.

That is just spreading BS IMO.

The number one complaint and I get it is that they don't come with cats. This is a correctable scenario for those that are not helpless.

I've owned fancy *** boutique headers several times in years past. Guess what, they don't do anything spectacular over a well built inexpensive header.

Finding out what works well for any giving vehicle out there doesn't take a lot of work to do a little research.

The only thing I will say and this isn't directed at anyone in this thread is to stay the hell away from the sub 300 dollar crap you see on Amazon and fleabay that have no names associated with them at all.

For those of you that want to spend 2k dollars on headers and overpriced cats for a 20 plus year old car? Good on you.
Is it, I have seen several in the shop with this happen. Couldn't tell you who made them because they are never labeled except for one set. I get emails all the time from companies overseas saying they have a Kooks look alike for $150 and less. So again, think about what you know about a set of headers. How much tubing goes into one, so call and price 304 stainless tube. How much labor to make them. If they are willing to sell them to me for $150 then what is it actually costing them to make them? Run real fast away from those, they also have no liability in that their company is in China. They also have look alike Corsa mufflers. How about that for the companies that spent thousands in designing and testing to have some overseas company copy it and then sell it here with no repercussions. You believe this is BS, then buy them and don't complain on here when you have issues.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:28 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Insinuating that it's impossible to find a well built cheap header for these cars is just ridiculous. Many of the cheaper headers that have an actual name brand that work with these cars fit well and DO NOT have a reputation for just cracking or breaking off at the head lol.

That is just spreading BS IMO.

The number one complaint and I get it is that they don't come with cats. This is a correctable scenario for those that are not helpless.

I've owned fancy *** boutique headers several times in years past. Guess what, they don't do anything spectacular over a well built inexpensive header.

Finding out what works well for any giving vehicle out there doesn't take a lot of work to do a little research.

The only thing I will say and this isn't directed at anyone in this thread is to stay the hell away from the sub 300 dollar crap you see on Amazon and fleabay that have no names associated with them at all.

For those of you that want to spend 2k dollars on headers and overpriced cats for a 20 plus year old car? Good on you.
Is it, I have seen several in the shop with this happen. Couldn't tell you who made them because they are never labeled except for one set. I get emails all the time from companies overseas saying they have a Kooks look alike for $150 and less. So again, think about what you know about a set of headers. How much tubing goes into one, so call and price 304 stainless tube. How much labor to make them. If they are willing to sell them to me for $150 then what is it actually costing them to make them? Run real fast away from those, they also have no liability in that their company is in China. They also have look alike Corsa mufflers. How about that for the companies that spent thousands in designing and testing to have some overseas company copy it and then sell it here with no repercussions. You believe this is BS, then buy them and don't complain on here when you have issues.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:31 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by vette4fl
OK, I’m not gonna cheap out on internals, but headers and other exhaust components are simply pieces of tubing. Also, ceramic coating is fine for preventing rust on mild steel headers, but it’s not needed on stainless steel. And if you think ceramic keeps thing cool, I’ve got my share of header kisses from them to put that to rest.

Forum members have used Speed Engineering headers successfully, and they installed them themselves. If you watch Mr Blacks YouTube channel, he does his mods in his garage, on the floor, just like any of us are free to do.

Like any cross section of groups, there’s those who have money to do as they wish. If you’re not one of those, you might just take a minute before shoveling out $3,000+ for headers. That’s a lot of money for 40hp(ish) and/or a lower exhaust note, especially when you can get a set of SE and bullet cats for about a grand.

I agree with this, use of Ceramic on Stainless is crazy, you lose the awesome properties of stainless and the ceramic will get hot if you drive the car. I don't know who the Speed direct headers are so I am not talking about them, they could make their own header and maybe they are not using 304 stainless which will save a ton of money. They could also mig weld which will also save a ton of time which drives the cost of production down.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:24 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I have discussed this with my mechanic who specializes in all things Corvette. He has also owned and driven 3000HP drag cars. He knows what he's talking about. When I finally do get headers, I'm going to get a set of the speed engineering headers, and he will weld a set of cats into the x-pipe. The clamps on the Speed Engineering setup are crap. He will weld a high quality clamps on instead. When all is said and done, it will still be cheaper than buying expensive headers, but with the same quality result. Now, it does require a lot more labor that installing a more expensive set. However, if you're a skilled welder, or have a mechanic that won't charge an arm and a leg, you can save yourself some money with speed engineering headers.
vette4fl (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:44 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
I have discussed this with my mechanic who specializes in all things Corvette. He has also owned and driven 3000HP drag cars. He knows what he's talking about. When I finally do get headers, I'm going to get a set of the speed engineering headers, and he will weld a set of cats into the x-pipe. The clamps on the Speed Engineering setup are crap. He will weld a high quality clamps on instead. When all is said and done, it will still be cheaper than buying expensive headers, but with the same quality result. Now, it does require a lot more labor that installing a more expensive set. However, if you're a skilled welder, or have a mechanic that won't charge an arm and a leg, you can save yourself some money with speed engineering headers.
Ditto.

Im going the same route after the cam. Only difference is I’ll install them myself. It may be more time than the Diamond Jim brands, but I’m retired and have plenty of time.

Going bullet cats, and there’s plenty of guys around here to handle that aspect.

👍
MWWarlord (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 04:14 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

Ditto.

Im going the same route after the cam. Only difference is I’ll install them myself. It may be more time than the Diamond Jim brands, but I’m retired and have plenty of time.

Going bullet cats, and there’s plenty of guys around here to handle that aspect.

👍
Bullet cats are exactly what my mechanic suggested.

Get notified of new replies

To Best cheap C5 headers...with cats!

Old 02-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Zip Corvettes

Please come back here and let us know what happens when the crack in the header weld causes a a valve to break. How does that effect the expensive internals?
Old 02-07-2023, 10:09 AM
carl418
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Please come back here and let us know what happens when the crack in the header weld causes a a valve to break. How does that effect the expensive internals?
I'm not trying to argue with anyone but I'm curious. How does a crack in a header weld cause a valve to break? I don't see the correlation.
vette4fl (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:47 AM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Back in the day I had mild steel headers and during a practice run one of the header pipes blew out of the flange! No damage to the engine though. To be fair this was in a boat and we were crashing through swells at high speed placing a lot of strain on the flange joints. When we got home, all it took was a little welding and she was good as new.

I have not experienced any engine failure due to headers failing, nor even heard of it from all my racing buddies over 40 years. My gut tells me we’d be ok with Speed Engineering headers driving around town. Who knows though, maybe a header weld will grenade the engine and that will be the ticket for an LT4 swap!

Quick Reply: Best cheap C5 headers...with cats!