Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going out for a drive, now need a new belt for the super..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:10 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,045 Likes on 554 Posts

Default going out for a drive, now need a new belt for the super..

went out today, and this happened... belt is still intact, going to have it flatbedded out to the shop before any real damage is done, but what a way to kill a nice weekend drive ...
(fragments highlighted in the below picture, they're not normally yellow :-) )

The following users liked this post:
Tusc (04-29-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 05:23 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,200 Likes on 1,959 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm not well versed on the flip drive type blower stuff. Has it been slipping to the point where it cooked the belt?

May want to consider upgrading to an 8 rib drive and heavier duty belt for peace of mind?

My car has left me stranded a few times over the years due to mods and supercharging. It's not a daily driver so I don't get too bent out of shape over it but it is frustrating as a builder fabricator I try and make stuff reliable out of the gate.

I'm running an 8 rib drive and Gates green HD belt.
Eshoremd (04-30-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 05:36 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
I'm not well versed on the flip drive type blower stuff. Has it been slipping to the point where it cooked the belt?

May want to consider upgrading to an 8 rib drive and heavier duty belt for peace of mind?

My car has left me stranded a few times over the years due to mods and supercharging. It's not a daily driver so I don't get too bent out of shape over it but it is frustrating as a builder fabricator I try and make stuff reliable out of the gate.

I'm running an 8 rib drive and Gates green HD belt.
ive no idea what caused it, I'm assuming it's been slipping given the chunks out of the belt you can see in the picture,/

Last edited by JMG2; 04-27-2024 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:32 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,681 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Oh , that sucks. Sorry to see that. Hope it's an easy thing to figure out. I haven't even got mine out from winter hibernation yet. Maybe next week.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:33 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Oh , that sucks. Sorry to see that. Hope it's an easy thing to figure out. I haven't even got mine out from winter hibernation yet. Maybe next week.
looks like a simple misalignment... I caught it before anything catastrophic happened, so there's that silver lining.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:59 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

That's good news! and kinda bad. I'm a little surprised that something of the quality of an A&A kit can have belt alignment problems???

Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:04 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

That's good news! and kinda bad. I'm a little surprised that something of the quality of an A&A kit can have belt alignment problems???

Hopefully it's an easy fix.
I've been doing this long enough to know that with anything custom, there will inevitably be teething issues. I'm sure it's a easy fix -- If I had the time I'd dive into it myself.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,525 Likes on 14,090 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Well that does suck and ruins an opportunity to drive the car. Good luck with the repair.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:33 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,343 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I have one of the pulley laser alignment tools (somewhere, I'd honestly need to locate it) up in Wallingford here if needed.

My 00 coupe needed some grinding to the AA bracket to come into true with the balancer, and the accessory bracket needed one or two very slender shims. The Z06 when installing the bracketry required a light grind to the accessory bracket. It is a frustrating but wise effort to invest in SC longevity.

What do you have for good belt options currently? The Gates RPM lineup went away with covid and leaves either gatorbacks or green belts. Not my preference as I liked the non-whipping belts.

I will say this. You're lucky it gave you warning and not a total failure. Imagine what it might otherwise have slapped apart or wrapped around and ripped out.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:32 AM
Missileboy
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

This exact scenario is why I changed over to an electric water pump when I did my ECS kit, just in case I had a belt issue with the SC, I can still drive and limp to an exit till the battery dies but won't overheat atleast! I wanted to be able to get off of a highway or other crappy place to a safer spot in the event I need to replace a belt. And I do carry a spare in my rear compartment-

Sucks for your drive but cheaper than if it let completely go!
Old 04-30-2024, 02:47 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Missileboy
This exact scenario is why I changed over to an electric water pump when I did my ECS kit, just in case I had a belt issue with the SC, I can still drive and limp to an exit till the battery dies but won't overheat atleast! I wanted to be able to get off of a highway or other crappy place to a safer spot in the event I need to replace a belt. And I do carry a spare in my rear compartment-

Sucks for your drive but cheaper than if it let completely go!
didn't occur to me to go with an electric water pump. not a bad idea.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:03 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

What if the electric water pump dies?

Have those things ever been rated for continuous use? I mean I can see drag strip duty all day long but I don't know about a 2k mile road trip.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:18 PM
Eshoremd
Melting Slicks

Received 497 Likes on 300 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Could you feel it slip when "on it"?

The day I put mine away for winter I got on it and around 6000 I felt what was a small window of lower than normal power gain. It was very cold that day. I've read these systems are more prone to slip on cold days vs warm days. Idk if that's true.

Hopefully you get it fixed without too much trouble/money and are back on the road soon.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:37 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Eshoremd
Could you feel it slip when "on it"?

The day I put mine away for winter I got on it and around 6000 I felt what was a small window of lower than normal power gain. It was very cold that day. I've read these systems are more prone to slip on cold days vs warm days. Idk if that's true.

Hopefully you get it fixed without too much trouble/money and are back on the road soon.

Keep us posted.
no slippage... I started hearing what I thought was a knocking inside the compressor, so I started heading home, turns out what I heard was the piece of the belt that had partially ripped off slapping against the bracket. So the belt is tight, just.. misaligned.
Eshoremd (04-30-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:28 AM
Missileboy
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

What if the electric water pump dies?

Have those things ever been rated for continuous use? I mean I can see drag strip duty all day long but I don't know about a 2k mile road trip.

Sure, anything can die but they are made for street use. Meziere makes a bunch of different models and some are Strip specific, but not the model I bought. American made and has a 2 year warranty and is rebuildable. Also is lighter, pumps more fluid and adds less drag to the system and frees up a few horses! Is it needed? No, but like i said, I wanted to be able to drive till the battery goes and not worry about over heating if I had an issue. Combined with my Dewwitt's rad and fans, she runs cool as a cucumber even on the hottest days in bumper to bumper traffic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Missileboy:
Eshoremd (05-01-2024), Mr. Black (05-01-2024), Tusc (05-01-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To going out for a drive, now need a new belt for the super..

Quick Reply: going out for a drive, now need a new belt for the super..