Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to a C6 Manual Shifter in My C5 – Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:10 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader_C5
I DM'd @TMODcustoms on IG earlier and I think I am going with a rebuilt box, new bushings, and a C6 shaft with **** (also anti-venom!), this is what I am ideally going for; an improved shift with a C6 native ****.
Sounds like it will be a killer set up! Let us know once you have it installed how you like it!
The following users liked this post:
TMODcustoms (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:34 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 184 Likes on 135 Posts

@Vader_C5 @jdmvette Thank you for your support, I think you'll like it, let us know when you get it in!

@Stingroo Were talking about two different bushings; the torque tube bushings on the ears of the box and the shifter bushing that replaces the stock black plastic bushing that lives on the bottom pivot of the upper shifter assembly, the one that connects the shifter to the shaft in the box. Any shifter that uses the stock bushing on the bottom ball pivot will benefit from the upgraded shifter bushing, it's just a better part and that's a very critical component overall. The torque tube bushings are the bushings your referring to, the one's with the engraving on the topsides. Stock boxes that are non-Z06 use rubber that breaks down and creates a lot of slop and rattle. We replace those on non-z boxes with Poly (which is a bit firmer material, last forever and dampens the best) or solid bushings that have no dampening characteristics. I can put Poly or solid bushings in a non-Z06 box but a Z06 box always has solid bushings in it, sometimes we call it "solid mounted", this goes for the Billet Box as well.

( I also have the shims (antivenom) for the detent that are actually the right size, they are the right diameters and a tiny bit thicker, the rest work fine these are just a little better and probably cheaper ), here's the link:

https://tmodcustoms.com/products/tmo...hifter-bushing

The problem with addressing the torque tube bushings only is that they look like the biggest problem when you get your hands on the box, but they are only one of the four issues that need to be addressed within the box. The internals that the shaft rides in and the shifter bushing are more significant than the torque tube bushings in my opinion.

Thank you guys for the kind words and support. I appreciate it very much.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:49 PM
TMODcustoms
Supporting Vendor

Received 184 Likes on 135 Posts

The Lucky Garage bushings are the torque tube bushings, (shown in the pics above). Torque tube bushings represent one of the three components that effect the box as they age, wear and breakdown. They are also much more significant in size and toughness than the internals of the box which consist of the seals and bushings the horizontal shaft ride in as well as the shifter bushing that lives on the bottom ball of the shifter (that fits into the cup on the horizontal shaft). If your torque tube bushings are shot you can be sure the other smaller and more consequential bushings are just as bad or worse. When I first started rebuilding the boxes everyone though torque tube bushings were the only problem with the box, but they were just the only option you could replace because they were easy to make. This is why addressing the whole box yields the best results.

https://tmodcustoms.com/products/tmo...hifter-bushing

Old 05-05-2024, 09:25 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,031 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader_C5
I DM'd @TMODcustoms on IG earlier and I think I am going with a rebuilt box, new bushings, and a C6 shaft with **** (also anti-venom!), this is what I am ideally going for; an improved shift with a C6 native ****.
Personal preference of course, but I really didn't like the anti-venom mod with C6 shifter (including with TMOD shifter box).
The following users liked this post:
TMODcustoms (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Upgrading to a C6 Manual Shifter in My C5 – Worth It?