Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 10:29 PM
1TONY1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (silverz06vette)

:hurray: :iagree: :hurray: Please let the above named follow you guys......we KNOW he can't follow directions :D
Old 04-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (achilles99)

Thanks Nat :) I agree... the important thing is that we all remember that we are all car enthusiasts. I don't think ANY of us would turn down a Z06 or Viper if offered one for free :)

Anyhow, I'm trying to shift this topic to: Is anyone coming out to the auto-x at the same location on Sunday? There should be more runs this time, with NO novice school.
I plan on going, but don't wait for me at Varisty because I might just drive straight down from my place if running late.

What's the name of the road that we turn right on, off the main road in WR to get to the parking lot?

Can I run in ASP if I change out my stock intake system?

See ya Sunday.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:50 AM
achilles99
Intermediate

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (Teddy98Z28M6)

OK, that's cool. The turn (after making a left coming off the exit) is a right onto Davis Dr. Look for the signs that direct you to the stadium.

As for putting your stock box on, did you mean to ask if you could run in SS class? Do you have headers or any type of suspensions mods? SS class is for bone stock cars (except for race rubber, you can use that... go figure).
Old 04-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Teddy98Z28M6
Pro

OK, that's cool. The turn (after making a left coming off the exit) is a right onto Davis Dr. Look for the signs that direct you to the stadium.

As for putting your stock box on, did you mean to ask if you could run in SS class? Do you have headers or any type of suspensions mods? SS class is for bone stock cars (except for race rubber, you can use that... go figure).
I want to run with my aftermarket intake on so what class would that put me?

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html#s14
"Air cleaner(s) may be changed or removed, velocity stacks may be added. "
I think this means a different air box is okay?

Old 04-26-2003, 09:46 AM
achilles99
Intermediate

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (Teddy98Z28M6)

With an aftermarket intake, the Viper would run in ASP class. I'm assuming the Z06 is the same, but we can doublecheck at the course.

As for the rule on "air cleaner can be changed," I can see how that is confusing... I had to ask the Solo II chairmen about it. Essentially, you have to keep the stock box, but you CAN change the filter element to a K&N drop-in filter. For high horsepower cars like ours, the K&N will give better flow, but I'm not sure if the difference if noticeable by seat of your pants feel.

For example, in the Viper, you can change to the K&N, but you can't change the air tubes to "smooth" tubes. My thought was that the stock ACR Viper comes with upgraded filters and tubes, so those mods should be allowed to keep the Viper in SS class. However, the rulebook is consistent, and says that the stock ACR Viper has to run in ASP class.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:17 AM
stingray454
Drifting

SS class is for bone stock cars (except for race rubber, you can use that... go figure).
I know, I can't figure that for the life of me. I mean an air cleaner that may shave off a tenth of a second (if that) versus a stock car is not allowed in SS. Yet race tires that can easily give you a 2 second + advantage over stock is allowed. :confused:
Old 04-26-2003, 02:03 PM
achilles99
Intermediate

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (stingray454)

I know, I can't figure that for the life of me. I mean an air cleaner that may shave off a tenth of a second (if that) versus a stock car is not allowed in SS. Yet race tires that can easily give you a 2 second + advantage over stock is allowed. :confused:
Yes, this is VERY annoying. Super Stock (SS) should be just that... STOCK. I don't recall receiving race rubber from the factory :) Anyhow, it's just disappointing to know that if someone is in your stock class with race rubber, you probably don't stand a chance of winning. Isn't the whole point of stock class to "run what you brung" from the factory?
Old 04-26-2003, 07:58 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (1TONY1)

:hurray: :iagree: :hurray: Please let the above named follow you guys......we KNOW he can't follow directions :D
I may not be able to follow directions but I will be there. :yesnod:

Are you going to be there? :confused:

Do they change the course? I guess it can't do me any harm. :steering:
Old 04-26-2003, 08:58 PM
achilles99
Intermediate

Yep, the course will be different. It definitely helps that you've been there, though. The dips and bumps never move, only the driving line :)
Old 04-26-2003, 11:27 PM
1TONY1
Advanced

Les....I was hoping you would understand my definition of "directions" = proper path through the cones :) I will be at the Chattanooga autocross with my daughter. She autocrossed last month for the first time and loved it. She has a new 350z so tomorrow is father/daughter day. I will miss the cruise with you guys but there will be other days.

[Modified by 1TONY1, 4:28 AM 4/27/2003]
Old 04-27-2003, 12:04 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Tony,

I know exactly what you meant - I got a clean finish all 3 runs, it was the other silver Zo6 pilot that needed cone directions :) Hopefully he will get it right tomorrow. Wish I was going with you guys, next time for sure!

Les :cheers:
Les....I was hoping you would understand my definition of "directions" = proper path through the cones :) I will be at the Chattanooga autocross with my daughter. She autocrossed last month for the first time and loved it. She has a new 350z so tomorrow is father/daughter day. I will miss the cruise with you guys but there will be other days.

[Modified by 1TONY1, 4:28 AM 4/27/2003]
Old 04-27-2003, 12:14 AM
1TONY1
Advanced

Default Re: Viper vs. Vette (ZO6Les)

sorry.......I forgot there are 2 silver cars. Don't know why I was thinking that you had the dnf's Les. Have fun guys......and NO bickering afterwards :nono:
Old 04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

No problem Tony, I have been accused of a lot worse than a few DNF's in my life :)

I agree 100% on the bickering, hopefully we will get a report on the results and fun without the crap - always seems to happen after the event - we all get along great when we race!

Les

PS: Looking forward to lining up with my T/A against your Formula some day soon :)
sorry.......I forgot there are 2 silver cars. Don't know why I was thinking that you had the dnf's Les. Have fun guys......and NO bickering afterwards :nono:
Old 04-27-2003, 06:36 AM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Yes I am the DNF'er. :banghead: :lol:

My goal is to finish at least one time without a DNF. I may have to stop along the way and ask a corner worker for directions but I will get it done. :thumbs:

No :boxing from me. When I get my first completed session. I will do nothing but :D

Tony, I remember you talking about the 350z for your daughter. Is it the track model? Please don't bring her to any events that I compete in. Its bad enough getting beat by you viper guys, but when she turns better times me I would be shamed into never attending another autox in my life. :lol: How long before she moves up to the viper? :eek:
Old 04-27-2003, 08:00 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=548134
Old 04-27-2003, 10:19 PM
1TONY1
Advanced

Her's is the Touring.....had to have leather and a 6 speed. It is...ah...electron blue :)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Viper vs. Vette (z06) Autocross - Anyone from here??