Sponsored by:

[Z06] Dual Filter Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:45 AM
MaverickC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
When were the before and after dyno runs done? Did you do a baseline pull, swap the airbox while on the dyno, and then do another run with the new airbox? If so then you are not seeing the real picture. You may have been running with a temporary lean condition. Head back to the dyno after driving about 100 miles and PCM learning might take most this new power away.
You ask great questions. The fact of the matter is I have the dyno print outs showing time and temp, but I have no clue without running this by Robbie at Corvette Masters how the test were preformed. He did the work. I was not there. There are many that think he is one of the best around. ( Vinci is close too, I think they both are comparable in ability and knowledge ) I assume they did the dyno processes correctly. I prefur Corvette Masters.

Can I get any help on this out there? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:16 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Most aftermarket airboxes cause inaccurate MAF readings when used with a screenless MAF car like an 02+ Z06. This usually results in a temporary lean condition. After about 100 miles of PCM learning this temporary lean condition normally goes away.

Doing a baseline dyno run, bolting on a new airbox while still on the dyno, and then doing an immediate "after" run is an extremely inaccurate way to test a part. Your HP gain may have been a result of the temporary lean condition and not the airbox. The only way to know for sure would be to do a follow-up dyno run after PCM learning completes (about 100 miles, 10 or so key cycles).
Old 07-25-2004, 11:40 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by THEDVS1
Just checked the Callaway Cars website, and the C5 Honker intake is now CARB legal. That gives us Cali guys more choice for an intake if we want to make sure our cars smog OK. They're claiming 21 bhp and 3 tenths in the quarter mile on an '03 Z for the intake and their exhaust (Power Group 1). I also like the fact that it eliminates the air bridge and matches the C6 design. Looks like a major improvement over the admittedly lousy C5 intake.

They just released their Power Groups and Power Group III (which builds upon groups I & II) is 49 state legal with Cali. coming soon
There is a road test review of their (Power Group equipped) Z06 in the next issue of Corvette Enthusiast Magazine (hits the stands in a few weeks)
Old 07-25-2004, 11:44 AM
MaverickC5
Instructor

Most aftermarket airboxes cause inaccurate MAF readings when used with a screenless MAF car like an 02+ Z06. This usually results in a temporary lean condition. After about 100 miles of PCM learning this temporary lean condition normally goes away.

Doing a baseline dyno run, bolting on a new airbox while still on the dyno, and then doing an immediate "after" run is an extremely inaccurate way to test a part. Your HP gain may have been a result of the temporary lean condition and not the airbox. The only way to know for sure would be to do a follow-up dyno run after PCM learning completes (about 100 miles, 10 or so key cycles).
Thanks, I think "I got it". If I notice a decrease in HP they can program back in the lean conditions with a tune?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:52 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by MaverickC5
Thanks, I think "I got it". If I notice a decrease in HP they can program back in the lean conditions with a tune?
You probably will not notice a decrease in performance. It would be very difficult to detect a 10 HP loss or gain on a 400 HP car. Yes they can program your car to get the most out of your current setup.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:26 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

You probably will not notice a decrease in performance. It would be very difficult to detect a 10 HP loss or gain on a 400 HP car. Yes they can program your car to get the most out of your current setup.
rbartick, not long after I got my Z06 I installed the Halltech Z06 intake, and my SOTP or my very hopeful mind felt something. Then 18 months later I'm leaving Germany and I install the stock intake for shipping; and I could not feel a difference, in any situation. The PC does a great job at adjusting itself and a computer tune is the only way to take permanent advantage of our mods.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 PM
canesfins
Pro

You are the first that I have read where the lean codes disappear. Many others who are having lean codes keep on having them. I have not purhcased an intake yet because I am feerful of the lean codes and that I will dmaage the engine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dual Filter Intake