Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

what clicking noise
Old 07-19-2004, 05:22 AM
Lex Luthor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
Thanks for all the replies... I feel the love....I gave it a shot....

Lex...that is one wicked interior! No tellin what would happen if I tried that!
Thanx.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Joe Diver
CF Enhanced Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Markcz - Thanks for the tip...I'll go try that at lunch!

Thanks Chad....maybe someday I'll share that story with the forum...I'll admit it..I'm not a mechanic...I'm a geek.... :bb
Old 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While my experience is not the norm, I felt I should post it and possibly save someone else the time and trouble:

I decided to remove the BSM's...easy mod, no real cost. I used fishing line, a little oil, and they came off no problem. Then some time (2 hours) with my fingers and some 3M Adhesive Remover, and all the goo was gone. Well, everything looked beautiful, like nothing was ever there, except for the drivers side door. Nice little imprint, very noticeable, and oh so slight color variation. Okay...I rub, buff, polish...nope. Still there. Looks like my drivers door had some paint work done to it at some point, and they didn't remove the BSM before painting. Great. I took it to a few body shops, and even to a bud that's in the car business who has a "guy" who does this stuff...all way more expensive than I wanted for this mod. Time to put the BSM's back on and I'll have to live with it. So, I go to the local paint/body supply and buy a $25 roll of 3M adhesive, asking if I need anything else. No. Okay, go home and since I've never done this before, I read the directions...amazing? Seems I need 3M Adhesive Promoter for the BSM's...something about surface tension adhesion on modern plastics. (I read this on the 3M website) So off I go to find this...$30 for a box of individual packets...I now have way more than I'll ever need...It took me 3 hours of patient cleaning to get the back side of the BSM's clean of the old adhesive...then I applied the promoter, and then the new adhesive...being very careful to make it straight on the top and bottom, just below the lip, and trimmed nicely at the tips. Really good job I must say for a newb like m'self. I cleaned the old area on the car with isopropyl alcohol, per the directions, (still amazing) and carefully put the BSM's back on. You can't tell they were ever removed and I feel pretty confident that I did as good (or better maybe) a job as a body shop would have done. All in all, I spent $60 and about 8 hours of pretty tedious work, with sore fingers and a couple of blisters.

Lesson: If there is any way possible for you to know if your car has had paint work where the BSM's are, you may wish to reconsider this mod. I chose not to have it blended out because of the costs involved, as I have other things I want to do first, and the BSM's don't bother me "that" much.

BTW - as a reward for my efforts, I went for a little cruise. Since the weather is nice, I rolled down the windows...the drivers side anyway...the passenger side decided quite suddenly to not work. It just "clicks" and dims the lights a little....<sigh>, just when you think you're done...
This whole nightmarish story just makes me thank heaven that I ordered my '04 without the BSMs. This initially saved me the cost of the BSM plus the cost and the headaches when trying to remove them.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I know how you feel. Sometimes good intentions just don't work out. Glad you got it back together. Sorry you had to spend $60 and a lot of time to only have it look just like it did.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:54 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DAVS Y2K
I bet your one of only a "very few" who can now say they have removed their BSM's to clean under them.
I'm glad I like them. At least you didn't do any damage.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Cessna172
Instructor

I can sympathize, empathize, compartmentalize, and simonize with your plights. It basically boils down to "some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you".

I think we've all sat at a project with our eyes all a glow with pride and high expectations of the rewards of our work, only to have it backfire and leave us choking on our own egos for even having thought that something could go right.

Read about the 8 hour battery change - sounds spooky. Thought my all day and well into the night (with a helper mind you) first oil change was humbling....

Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks for all the replies... I feel the love....I gave it a shot....

Lex...that is one wicked interior! No tellin what would happen if I tried that!
Bob's rule applies here--------Nothing is simple and easy, nothing!
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Scott, I hope they don't come flying off this Sunday on our back roads cruise!!!

Roy
Old 07-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Bummer. I know the feeling. Seems that what is always an easy job for someone else, turns into a major headache for me. Got me where I dont do much on my own anymore!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:26 PM
ANI
Instructor

While my experience is not the norm, I felt I should post it and possibly save someone else the time and trouble:

I decided to remove the BSM's...easy mod, no real cost. I used fishing line, a little oil, and they came off no problem. Then some time (2 hours) with my fingers and some 3M Adhesive Remover, and all the goo was gone. Well, everything looked beautiful, like nothing was ever there, except for the drivers side door. Nice little imprint, very noticeable, and oh so slight color variation. Okay...I rub, buff, polish...nope. Still there. Looks like my drivers door had some paint work done to it at some point, and they didn't remove the BSM before painting. Great. I took it to a few body shops, and even to a bud that's in the car business who has a "guy" who does this stuff...all way more expensive than I wanted for this mod. Time to put the BSM's back on and I'll have to live with it. So, I go to the local paint/body supply and buy a $25 roll of 3M adhesive, asking if I need anything else. No. Okay, go home and since I've never done this before, I read the directions...amazing? Seems I need 3M Adhesive Promoter for the BSM's...something about surface tension adhesion on modern plastics. (I read this on the 3M website) So off I go to find this...$30 for a box of individual packets...I now have way more than I'll ever need...It took me 3 hours of patient cleaning to get the back side of the BSM's clean of the old adhesive...then I applied the promoter, and then the new adhesive...being very careful to make it straight on the top and bottom, just below the lip, and trimmed nicely at the tips. Really good job I must say for a newb like m'self. I cleaned the old area on the car with isopropyl alcohol, per the directions, (still amazing) and carefully put the BSM's back on. You can't tell they were ever removed and I feel pretty confident that I did as good (or better maybe) a job as a body shop would have done. All in all, I spent $60 and about 8 hours of pretty tedious work, with sore fingers and a couple of blisters.

Lesson: If there is any way possible for you to know if your car has had paint work where the BSM's are, you may wish to reconsider this mod. I chose not to have it blended out because of the costs involved, as I have other things I want to do first, and the BSM's don't bother me "that" much.

BTW - as a reward for my efforts, I went for a little cruise. Since the weather is nice, I rolled down the windows...the drivers side anyway...the passenger side decided quite suddenly to not work. It just "clicks" and dims the lights a little....<sigh>, just when you think you're done...
if you have any of the 3M Adhesive Promoter left. i'll buy some off you let me know. email me at bstern@maytag.com
Old 07-20-2004, 08:33 PM
ACELR8N
Pro

Boy, I thought my luck stunk! But, that which we survive makes us stronger.... grrrrrrr Sorry to hear about your misfortune, it will help me cope the next time the little thing turns into a nightmare.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Joe Diver
CF Enhanced Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Roy...those things better not ever come off!!!

So, I did try the window trick that was suggested...but it didn't work.... although, it decided to start working again not long after, so maybe it had a delayed effect?

Last edited by Joe Diver; 07-22-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 AM
'99 Feather
Racer

Sorry to hear about all the trouble with the BSM's. Most people I know people wouldn't have had the patience to stick with it like you did. At least it finally went back together OK.

I've had the same window problem with my '99 X 3. The dealer "repaired" it under warrenty the first time. The last time I hit the auto down button, slammed the door, and the window went down on it's own. Now I try to remember to cycle the passenger window once or twice whenever I take the car out.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I know this is an old post but i have to put my 2 cents in.......
Same DAMN thing happened to me as the OP but I didn't put the BSM's back on. Going to wetsand the door and buff it out. If if it still doesn't look good off to the body shop it goes for a door repaint and blend !
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 780 Likes on 441 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Holy thread revival Batman
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DeeGee
I'm glad I like the BSMs! Good effort anyway.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Quick Reply: BSM Removal Nightmare